Winning in Vegas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Just noticed over at Beautytech that Debbie Dorrlamm has scored the winners list at the 2004 Nailympics in Las Vegas. I have nicked them to post here for you viewing pleasure.

Well done everyone ;)

Nailympics 2004 Las Vegas

• Fantasy
    • Div.1
      1. Virginia Arleo, Argintina
      2. Alisha Saling Andrews
      3. Lee Ann Maya
      4. Antoinette Thomas
    • Div. 2
      1. Marina Diaz
      2. Sheri Lake
      3. N/A
      4. N/A
    • Div. 3
      1. Amy Becker
      2. Kaori Awoi
      3. Gina Stanberry
      4. Rachelle Schley
  • Wraps
    • Div.1
      1. Michelle Dennis
      2. Antoinette Thomas
      3. Jackie Lee
      4. Kim Woodard
    • Div. 2
      1. Yumi Nagashima
      2. Marina Diaz
      3. LaDell Toma
      4. N/A
    • Div. 3
      1. John Hauk
      2. Lorena Marquez
      3. Amy Becker
      4. Jessica Hoel
  • Gel Tips
    • Div. 1
      1. Noriko Ishii
      2. Antonio Sacripante
      3. Jolanda VerHagen Van Jersel
      4. Virginia Arleo
    • Div. 2
      1. Miyuki Endo
      2. Kumiko Osumi
      3. Shannon McCowan
      4. Hiromi Matsunaga
    • Div. 3
      1. Tom Bachik
      2. Kristina Baune
      3. Sachiho Arimoto
      4. Lee Ann Smith
  • Airbrushing
    • Div. 1
      1. Thanh Ho
      2. Teresa Mathis
      3. N/A
      4. N/A
    • Div. 2
      1. Hiromi Matsunago
      2. N/A
      3. N/A
      4. N/A
    • Div. 3
      1. Sumiyo Matsumoto
      2. Emilio Sheikhan
      3. Ota Sakura
      4. Hatsuki Izumioka
  • Acrylic Tip Overlay
    • Div. 1
      1. Shoko Miyauchi
      2. Virginia Arleo
      3. Hien Tran
      4. Dee Dee Peshek
    • Div. 2
      1. Hiromi Sasaki
      2. April Marshall
      3. LaDell Toma
      4. Marina Diaz
    • Div. 3
      1. Tom Bachik
      2. Madelene Wolf
      3. Lorena Marquez
      4. Akiko Matsuda
  • Mixed Media
    • Div. 1
      1. Virginia Arleo
      2. Risa Nakajima
      3. Virginia Arleo
      4. Mariko Nakamura
    • Div. 2
      1. Ryoko Funai
      2. Erh-Fu Tai
      3. Hiroko Tamura
      4. Terumi Yoshihara
    • Div. 3
      1. Sumiyo Matsumoto
      2. Lorena Marquez
      3. Amy Becker
      4. Lorena Marquez
  • Acrylic Sculpture
    • Div. 1
      1. Rachel Mouritsen
      2. Donna Davis
      3. Antonio Sacripante
      4. Megan Young
    • Div. 2
      1. Hiroko Tamura
      2. Asako Hokari
      3. Mary Seitzinger
      4. Ryoko Funai
    • Div. 3
      1. Hitomi Ariyoshi
      2. Toshie Sasaki
      3. Akiko Matsuda
      4. Hiroko Takagi

Fantasy

• Div.1
Ok I have a pic to go with this fab win. Thanks to Antony who competed too...luv ya xx
his entry is shown in the pic link..... A shame he didn't place as his nails where fab, but as he told me, the look was to european for the USA........

Virginia is the Argentinian EZFlow Educator and by the looks of it, very very talented............
I just love her design...............now this is something cool to look at in my book
So well done Virginia !!!! and to all that competed.....

Maybe Tom will put this winning nails on here, for all us geeks to have a admiring look at xxxxx

Attachments

• virginia fantasy.JPG
    virginia fantasy.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 973
  • virginia fantasy 2.JPG
    virginia fantasy 2.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,001
  • sculpt.JPG
    sculpt.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 707
Could anyone explain the different divisions for me please!

Thanks
Lisa xx

Lisa

Div 1 for those that have never participated in comp .
Div 2 for those who have participated BUT HAVE NEVER WON .
Div 3 for those that have placed or won a comp or are ranked by nails mag as a top competitor .

Tom bachik who was with young nails i do not know if still there won i think two or three div 3 so top man .

Hope this helps .

Nail olympics do have a web site and there are 50 photos on beauty tech that debbie has put on her site .

Mui

Goodness now that really is a clever and innovative design. Deserved to win.

geeg said:
Goodness now that really is a clever and innovative design. Deserved to win.

Congratulations to Tom who is with Creative Nail Design and has been for quite a few years now (apart from a brief interlude which was fairly disastrous). LOVE Ya Tom. !!

And LOOK at the Gel division!!! 1,2, and 4 all using Brisa Gels!!! WOW.

geeg said:
Congratulations to Tom who is with Creative Nail Design and has been for quite a few years now (apart from a brief interlude which was fairly disastrous). LOVE Ya Tom. !!

And LOOK at the Gel division!!! 1,2, and 4 all using Brisa Gels!!! WOW.

sawasdee ka geeg

Would the gel nails have ben done in a euopean style or a asian usa style that wins nail oylimpics :) .

And when you see your friend tom can you ask him something please i know he has been to japan i see him in the books when he work with i think david haile can you ask him was he the full competition nail tech that he is today or did it help him at all being in asia .

He had to learn to do big flash nail enhancements to win nail competitions european style do not win in the usa or asia :rolleyes: .

Thank you mui from Thailand .

Mui,

Tom happens to be a pretty close friend of mine and I can tell you that he won well over 100 competitions before ever even getting a passport.

The nails he does are beautiful competition nails that he (and countless) have been doing in the US and EU. I am not sure why you think going to Asia suddenly changes your style of application?!?

The Nail Geek said:
freaking wow

Sam

Can i ask you why do you not go in nail comp in las vegas i have seen tom holcombe and your friend tom win big thropy in nail comp but i have never seen you .

Thank you mui from Thailand

The Nail Geek said:
Mui,

Tom happens to be a pretty close friend of mine and I can tell you that he won well over 100 competitions before ever even getting a passport.

The nails he does are beautiful competition nails that he (and countless) have been doing in the US and EU. I am not sure why you think going to Asia suddenly changes your style of application?!?

Sam

Because the nails that win in the usa and asia are what geeg speaks are false false false big smile lines and long .

Not the european style nails that are made in europe .

Show me a photo of the winning nails from usa please they are nothing like the ones that win in the uk .

Mui from Thailand

Mui,
What the heck are you talking about? How many comp wins have you seen in the UK? And what is the diff between European, Asian, and American style?

I wasnt at the nail olympics because there was no reason for me to be there, I havent ever competed... Im not sure how that invalidates my 'wow' statement over such cool nails ;)

mui said:
sawasdee ka geeg

Would the gel nails have ben done in a euopean style or a asian usa style that wins nail oylimpics :) .

And when you see your friend tom can you ask him something please i know he has been to japan i see him in the books when he work with i think david haile can you ask him was he the full competition nail tech that he is today or did it help him at all being in asia .

He had to learn to do big flash nail enhancements to win nail competitions european style do not win in the usa or asia :rolleyes: .

Thank you mui from Thailand .

Sam please read this post again ....GEEG when you see your friend can you ask him something PLEASE i know he has been to japan i see him in the books when he work with i think david haile can you ask him was he the FULL COMPETITION tech that he is today or did it help him AT ALL being in asia .

Now why did i ask this because IF i was to try and have dream to go to the nail oylimpics myself as a competitor 2007 i want to know IF he learn ANYTHING there to make him a better competitor then he was before he go .

I did not ask about how many competitions he has won or when he got his passport .

Sam go take a chill pill yourself .

Sorry Mui, who do you think brought the dramatic competition style to asia?

Why do you think Tom went to asia? to learn how to do nails? or like every other tech brought over to asia... to show them how to do comp styled nails?

nuff said.
frustrated.gif

The Nail Geek said:
Mui,
What the heck are you talking about? How many comp wins have you seen in the UK? And what is the diff between European, Asian, and American style?

I wasnt at the nail olympics because there was no reason for me to be there, I havent ever competed... Im not sure how that invalidates my 'wow' statement over such cool nails ;)

sam.

RUTH in post said yesterday on the GEEK forum ant buckley said his nails did not place because they were too european style OTHERS in the forum have said that the nails that win in the uk are not what wins in japan or usa THE NAILS that we see in the nail competition with big smile lines square long are not what win in the uk or are wanted in the salons they are ugly and false looking the uk have the more natural looking nail .

So IF you are going to speak straight i can only learn what i read on the forum and it is no good jumping at me for something i QUOTE from the people i am learning from on your web site .

SO IF ant buckly says this and ruth post it why can you not agree or is every thing you last the last word and EVERY BODY who speaks is wrong .

Fair enough Mui,

But Antonys win last month at the Winner of Winners was very much a dramatic style (popular in many US competitions, not as much in european). His pic here in this post was along the same vein, but with slightly more shape.

In a nutshell, I would define dramatic as:
No lower arch
Extreme smile line
Extreme C curve

Most dont understand that it has less to do with the style chosen as the consistency and finish of the winners nails. Dramatic nails win in Europe and less dramatic win in the US. It all depends on the judges coherence and the competitors skill in executing their designs.

Holcomb was (and is) flawless in his his execution of his competition nails. They are beautifully consistent. Personally, I dont like the design aspect, many judges do not... however, you simply cant fault him on his perfection even if you disagree with the end design.

Many people mistake his skill for his design. They think that is what their nails must look like (design wise) in order to win, so they focus on that instead of making simply beautiful consistent nails.

Consistent wins more frequently than dramatic designs.

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Fantasy

• Div.1
Ok I have a pic to go with this fab win. Thanks to Antony who competed too...luv ya xx
his entry is shown in the pic link..... A shame he didn't place as his nails where fab, but as he told me, the look was to european for the USA........

Virginia is the Argentinian EZFlow Educator and by the looks of it, very very talented............
I just love her design...............now this is something cool to look at in my book
So well done Virginia !!!! and to all that competed.....

Maybe Tom will put this winning nails on here, for all us geeks to have a admiring look at xxxxx

After i read this post i can think there is a difference in the usa competition nails and the european nails OR NOT .

The Nail Geek said:
Sorry Mui, who do you think brought the dramatic competition style to asia?

Why do you think Tom went to asia? to learn how to do nails? or like every other tech brought over to asia... to show them how to do comp styled nails?

nuff said.
frustrated.gif

I am not stupid i understand that the educators went to japan to teach and show there products that is why some companys are very sucessfull there and beacuse the companys sent the best educators that is why they are doing the nails so good .

I feel i ask a simple question about tom your friend and about the different styles of nails to learn to try to win a competition one day so i will ask a different question .

When you see your friend tom ask him PLEASE is japan a place with the right educator to learn to do competition nails that win in asia and usa that is all i ask i want to know from him because he is a winner of usa and asia competitions .

Thank you

HI YA'll,

I just have to let ya'll know, Tip w/acrylic overlay, Division 1, fourth place... That's ME!!! I just found out that i had placed, they didn't tell me, i saw it in Nails mag!! I was shocked! But I'm totally happy!! I'm gonna be competing at the Pasadena show in September! Hopefully I'll see some of you guys there!!

Woooo Hooooo!!!
Hey, well done!
but what a way to find out about your placing!
Good luck in Pasadena!

Latest posts

Back