Winter on its way grrrrrr

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeidiWorman

Reaction score
I have naturally curly hair which I straighten and when it gets wet or there is even a hint of damp in the air my hair goes frizzy. I have tried every product under the sun to no avail, can anyone recommend anything? I have lots of baby thin hair which at the moment is a bit dry so a treatment of some kind or other that someone could recommend would also be great!

I was also contemplating getting my hair straightened but not sure what to go for as have heard different reports from different people about different methods so am also confused about what to go for!

Okay I'm not a hair gek so I apologise, but from personal experience I find Aveda's Phomollient just the bees knees for this. Have you tried it?

Reading off my bottle it's a "Styling Foam with organic honey, adds shine and volume to fine or medium hair with our patented light-to-medium hold formula. Apply to wet or dry hair". I saw this demo'ed on QVC:o when they used to sell Aveda, they said you could go out in the drizzling rain and it would still hold your hair in place and not go frizzy ... and it really does, or at least it did mine and it has a very natural wave. I still buy it now years later ... but from a salon, so I guess QVC can help with salon sales at times!

... sorry hair geeks, but at least it is a professional salon only product!

Thanks for your help, I will pop to Lakeside this weekend a get some!

Sorry .... just had to add ....... i'm in Aus and summer is on it's way ........
Sarongs and no knickers in the salon.... I can feel the needy cool breeze already :)
As Marilyn would say "Don't you feel the breeze from the subway? Isn't it delicious?" and "Ooohhh! This feels just elegant!"

Imagine that while doing nails?

Sorry .... just had to add ....... i'm in Aus and summer is on it's way ........
Sarongs and no knickers in the salon.... I can feel the needy cool breeze already :)
As Marilyn would say "Don't you feel the breeze from the subway? Isn't it delicious?" and "Ooohhh! This feels just elegant!"

Imagine that while doing nails?

Oh my word...... that is way too much information for a Wednesday lunchtime in cloudy Swindon!!!!! :):):)

so I guess QVC can help with salon sales at times!

... sorry hair geeks, but at least it is a professional salon only product!

Oh sure Sassy..:lol: That is like suggesting we buy Creative P&L from Ebay!!
or even QVC!!

You don't know what you are actually getting. Buy from a the distributer. Money back guaranteed if you don't like it.

Aveda also make a Curl enhancer product as so does Joico, Wella, Pravana, TIGI, Sebastian,....

to help combat frizzy's in the hair, make sure you apply the product from roots to ends. If you apply it only to the ends, the different lengths of individual hairs that are shorter will be the ones to go curly on you which makes your hair look frizzy.

Here are a few links to threads where this has been discussed :

http://www.salongeek.com/hair-geek/58824-chemical-straightning-what-do-you-think.html

http://www.salongeek.com/hair-geek/58787-advice-curly-hair.html

Hth's

Not sure if I misunderstand you here, but buying from QVC is buying the real deal, nothing like getting l&p from Ebay and I really don't see how it compares as it is also a retail product not a professional only product.

I bought it from QVC because they really explained what it would do, which is something hair salons often feel loathe to do. Since they haven't sold Aveda in years on QVC I now buy it from a salon, so although QVC may be seen as the bane of existence for professionals, it actually led me into buying it from a salon, whch has to be a good thing? ... and I have to say when I have asked for help in buying other products from a salon the staff really don't have the first clue, or have any product knowledge at all ... they could learn a thing or two from the way QVC sell things that's for sure!

Tigi control freak is perfect for this,i stocked up in the US :D

QVC sell OPI products, Nails Inc and Leighton Denny, all of which are sold in nail salons, QVC also do a roaring trade with professional skin products such as Gatineau, Decleor and Elemis...
It's no different to hair products, if clients can buy professional products from the comfort of their arm chair with a live demonstration versus buying from hair, nail or beauty salons (usually at higher prices) then they're going to choose the armchair option aren't they? :wink2:

Sorry to go off on a tangent lol

from a less experienced hair geek....pmsl (3 weeks into it) ok the more product that coats the hair the less likely the frizz........when you condition the hair....the hair cuticles close......if you apply a good product and enough product from root to tip this coats the hair stopping anything gettting through (such as moisture, heat etc.......) from opening the cuticle.......the frizz is...the moisture getting through the barrier (the product) and re opening the cuticle and sending the hair back into its original shape. hence the curl and frizz coming back.
A good conditioner also i use a spray leave in conditioner on my ends...then a anti frizz serum......and leave to dry natural if you can.....comb straight let dry naturally then use your heat protector spray (again adds another coating to the hair) then straighten.
also a hoody and a brolly .......:lol::lol:

just to add about qvc
its a fantastic place to buy good quality retail products you are shown how to use them and its the actual companies showing and selling them......not through third parties...its all legit you know what you are getting, it cannot be compared to ebay at all.

just to add about qvc
its a fantastic place to buy good quality retail products you are shown how to use them and its the actual companies showing and selling them......not through third parties...its all legit you know what you are getting, it cannot be compared to ebay at all.
...but it undercuts the salon owner...:eek:

Anyway thanks for the advice Joanne...ill just remember to condition my hair as much as i can...can you also use a "pre" sahampoo treatment,to condition...or is this just a waste of time:)

Please can I have a strop??????

Why is it that if you buy a salon professional retail type product from somewhere legit such as QVC it is likened to buying it from non scrupulous places???

I'm sorry for stamping my feet here and throwing my toys out of the pram, but we all know that we can purchase products of any type - be it for nails, beauty or hair - from ALL OVER and not just salons.

How many of us have given a product a "go" on ourselves when we haven't been trained in it? or indeed are still using it, and still untrained?

For me I am more than happy to be recommended a kosher product to use from QVC and I am only human - I love a bargain and if I can get that product cheaper then I make no apologies for doing so!

My biggest bugbear is though - does it really matter if you are buying retail products from somewhere, where it is the real deal but cheaper? I for one am more bothered about the poor 4 year old boy stabbed to death by his father and the little boy's sister who was also critically injured by their father!

In this world of politically correct, we should be making decisions using our common sense NOT because we adhere to the most restrictive, nonsensical rules which have been put in place by people who haven't got a bleedin clue about the real world :eek:

Furthermore, surely, if this is a place for professionals, then as nail, hair or salon geeks, we have a pretty good idea of what goes on with the most of things - eg Keratin - now both hair and nail geeks should know about keratin even if they only do one of the services - if they didn't as a professional member of the site then shame on them!

Right rant over - sending out hugs to everyone to keep the karma balanced :lol:

Bring back tree hugging and chilling out :lol: (no happy weed or anything tho :lol:)

Ok I'm exiting stage left to grab a glass of vino and a bar of choccie so I can clog my arteries and pickle my liver :lol:

When salon owners who pay out an opening order,to start up thier business are then undercut by these "special deals" on qvc for peanuts...then yes i do have a problem...the loyalty of the companies should be with the PROFESSIONALS who stock the products,and thereby they should give these "deals" to the salons....

That is why when my clients come into the salon the products that are reccommended from the professional are the correct products...than having some therapist on a tv screen saying..."this cleanser and day cream is suitable for ALL skin types",when this is just sales talk IMO.:green:

On that note...let that be an end....

Can we get back to the topic at hand??

That is why when my clients come into the salon the products that are reccommended from the professional are the correct products...than having some therapist on a tv screen saying..."this cleanser and day cream is suitable for ALL skin types",when this is just sales talk IMO.:green:

On that note...let that be an end....

Can we get back to the topic at hand??
hmmm... on a sidenote... no salon (regardless of name of size) has the buying power of QVC, that's why items are cheaper on there as opposed to offers direct from the suppliers, there is no way the salon owners can compete, with that said, there is a market for retail both on QVC and from clients within your salon environment, the personal touch is missing from television selling, that's where salon owners/workers need to do their promoting, the personal touch goes a long way with most clients!

Just a quick note to EssexBabe - sorry for hi jacking your post and wish you all the best in finding a product for your hair :hug: but also thanks for unknowingly starting a debate :hug:

right - off to create my own thread about QVC:lol: xxx

Sorry guys, but buying from QVC is no different than buying off of eBay, Walmart, Walgreens, blahblahblah. A lot of the products do not come via the manufacturer (therefore they are diverted). Some (like Leighton Denny) do sell direct - but in my eyes, anything sold to the public direct through a non-professional makes the product non-professional.

Professional products are for professional use, recommendation and sale. QVC and other retail outlets happen to only want products with reputations that have been created by independent professionals. In other words, you go build the brand as a professional - and they will cash in on the sale. They buy diverted stock in bulk to offer strong discounts to undercut the professionals and attempt to get your customers to buy from them instead of you. TO me, this is WRONG to do to your profession.

We were approached many times about selling SolarOil and CND enamel on QVC. Every single time we turned it down. Why? Because we only sell and support professionals. Sure we passed up on a lot of good money, but our values do not have a price tag.

In the UK, this isn't nearly as sensitive of a subject as it is in the US. Maybe being a professional in the US is what made me hyper sensitive to the situation (and one of the main reasons we wouldn't sell to QVC). In the US; phantom salons and 'beauty supply' places have cropped up like Starbucks - selling all professional brands to undercut the salons. This is starting to happen in the UK and will only be a matter of time until they too are everywhere (I hope we at least get more Starbucks first!).

Supporting your profession means NOT supporting nonprofessional establishments selling professional products.

Well said!

It's not just phantom salons though, it's major retail chains, it really hurts in a smaller market. Brand imaging and marketing make the consumer more aware of the NAME, not the professional behind it. A consumer has very little hesitation buying a name brand product at a discount from a large retail outlet (that cannot garuntee what really is in the bottle) but doesn't want to spend the actual retail price set by the manufacturer at a salon where the product has been garunteed and you should be shown how to use it properly.

has the subject of this thread gone haywire, it no longer makes sense?

er...yes,id lik some advice on pre shampoo treatments to rehydrate the hair...any one please??:green:

Latest posts

Back