Wirey eyebrows on elderly client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolla

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm after some advice/tips to help me with my brow client who I'm a bit lost with.

She's in her 80's and has fair hair. Last year her daughter trimmed and plucked her brows to within an inch of their life so that you could hardly see them.

A few months ago I started tinting them for her and got her to grow them and never let the daughter near her again with a pair of scissors!

The tinting is going well, it's definitely making them more visible and covering greys. However they are very wirey and unruly - they are longer now but obviously still blunt at the ends where they were chopped. I just can't get them to stay in a nice shape, I've tried vaseline to help keep their shape after I've tinted and tweezed (there's nothing really to wax) but to no avail. I don't know what else I can do to make her brows normal again...?!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I have this problem with the majority of my older clients!!
Their hair is soo corse and wirey, also they get ridiculously long!
Trimming is a no for me on older clients unless totally necessary, older women suit a natural look, trimming wirey bows make it look to obvious and clean cut.
I honestly haven't found any solution, just try your best every time and the client will see he difference.
I find tweezing easier too the wax doesn't seen to be strong enough for those types of hair.
Usually if their brows are quite thick and there are or or two sticking up or out I will trim those individual hairs and you can't tell, but only the odd one to tidy up a bit :)
Xxxxx

I've used scissor-over-comb to help tame brows along with *carefully* using thinning shears to help coax the hairs into laying nice.
As long as her brows are not chola brows, I think you're safe :) good luck

Attachments

• 1396677413614.jpg
    1396677413614.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 233
I don't like to tweeze too many coarse hairs as it leaves spaces
I trim them but slightly shorter than the surrounding hairs iykwim😙
That way, I get the volume but you don't notice the 'blunt edge'

In my opinion , unfortunately some people's facial hair is very wirey and there's nothing you can do about it. Just give the best shape you can. You can use a brow gel to tame them. Her eyebrows will never be normal... Unfortunately some people's eyebrow growth stops completely due to over plucking and it will never return to normal

Thank you for the replies ladies, all very helpful :)

Aah a brow gel is a good idea, I was using a little Vaseline to try to tame them down but do you think a specific brow gel will be better?

Can anyone recommend a good one?

It's mainly the brow hairs that are part of the 'main brow' that have been cut very bluntly (by the daughter) that I am worried about plucking out because as you say they will leave a gap. But the blunt end will never go away if I don't pluck :( It's swings and roundabouts. Maybe if I just pluck a couple each time I see her so that it's not too obvious as opposed to plucking all the blunt ones in one go???

If you're after a good brow gel then my favs and the ones I keep in my kit are the Anastasia ones. They come in a variety of shades. You can get them from Cult Beauty online.

In terms of the eyebrows. I would trim them using the following:

Using a mascara wand or brow brush, brush the brows in the opposite direction of hair growth.

Using a brow comb, start at the fullest part of the brow and comb upwards.

Keeping the trapped hair in the comb, slowly move the comb in the opposite direction to hair growth again - this will release any shorter/finer hairs that you don't want to trim and hold the coarser hairs in place.

Using your chosen scissor trim in the same direction as the hair growth. You might have to repeat this a couple of times to get the right length but doing it this way will taper the end of the hair so it looks natural rather than blunt.

Don't trim hairs past the arch of the brow unless they're very thick.

Hope this helps x

If you're after a good brow gel then my favs and the ones I keep in my kit are the Anastasia ones. They come in a variety of shades. You can get them from Cult Beauty online.

In terms of the eyebrows. I would trim them using the following:

Using a mascara wand or brow brush, brush the brows in the opposite direction of hair growth.

Using a brow comb, start at the fullest part of the brow and comb upwards.

Keeping the trapped hair in the comb, slowly move the comb in the opposite direction to hair growth again - this will release any shorter/finer hairs that you don't want to trim and hold the coarser hairs in place.

Using your chosen scissor trim in the same direction as the hair growth. You might have to repeat this a couple of times to get the right length but doing it this way will taper the end of the hair so it looks natural rather than blunt.

Don't trim hairs past the arch of the brow unless they're very thick.

Hope this helps x

That's great advice, thank you :)

Latest posts

Back