Worcester and Cheltenham areas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have been on a recent education drive with my clients on the subject of MMA. One of my clients is off to UK for a few weeks/months over the summer and will need infills on her acrylic. Unfortunately she hasn't got the greatest set on at the moment as they were done by another salon using the dipping method. She doesnt like this and has come to me now for acrylic brushed on. I am currently filling them for the moment as she wants them kept on and not changed.

I need to know a few addresses (preferably easy to find) in the above areas, of a reliable salon who would be able to take care of her on my behalf. Preferably ONS user, however I'm sure Creative or other system will be sufficient.

Please feed back to me,

Kind Regards

Gina

Good to know that you are keen to take care of your client even whilst she is away. I live in Gloucester which is 6 miles from Cheltenham & about 30 from Worcester. My point is this, both Glos & Chelt have nail bars using MMA & they are always busy. Be sure to warn your client not to be tempted or swayed into visiting them. They are nicely fitted out, so for tourists they looked the real deal.
I will check my local directory in the morning (20 mins!!!!!!!!) & give you a few No's if it's any help, if not just pm me.

Sonia

princessmowgli said:
Gina

Good to know that you are keen to take care of your client even whilst she is away. I live in Gloucester which is 6 miles from Cheltenham & about 30 from Worcester. My point is this, both Glos & Chelt have nail bars using MMA & they are always busy. Be sure to warn your client not to be tempted or swayed into visiting them. They are nicely fitted out, so for tourists they looked the real deal.
I will check my local directory in the morning (20 mins!!!!!!!!) & give you a few No's if it's any help, if not just pm me.

Sonia

Sawasdee ka sonia

This question is for my education only i hope to write some thing in future about mma in Thailand .

I feel we have found that discount salons /wearing a mask /big brush /e-file /strong smelling liquid even long soak off do not mean a salon is using mma .

I see you are very sure some salons are using mma my question is why so sure how do we know that a salon is using for sure if there is no test on the liquid the answer you give me may help me with my knowledge on this .

Thank you Mui

Sorry Mui, I see your point.

I guess none of us can be 100% unless we know what to look out for. Basically the topic of MMA came up on my course & my tutor warned us of several nail bars currently using the product. I personally would have not known all the tell tale signs but I learn something new every day.

Well my hairdresser, several of her friends & a few others I know have been & some unfortunately still do go to one of the bars local to me. A full set can be applied & finished in 45-50 mins & they take forever to get off.
They rarely suggest soaking off after XXX weeks, but simply infill or rebalance & paint.......infill & paint etc etc .

If this is not typical MMA usage then I duly appologise for making such an assumption & will recommend the salon but from local talk & tutor knowledge I think I am right to be concerned.

Sonia

princessmowgli said:
If this is not typical MMA usage then I duly appologise for making such an assumption & will recommend the salon but from local talk & tutor knowledge I think I am right to be concerned.

Sonia

Hi Sonia,

I have some great info on MMA on my website- I will post here below (although you can go to my site to see all the info) :D

What is MMA?

Methyl Methacrylate is an ingredient that was commonly used in early "nail porcelains." In the early 1970's, the Food and Drug Administration received numerous complaints of personal injuries associated with the use of acrylic monomer formulated with MMA. The reports included serious nail damage or loss, contact dermatitis, soreness and infection due to breaks caused by the rigidly adhered acrylic.

By the end of the 1970’s, the FDA had taken action against several manufacturers that marketed MMA liquid monomers. Since the FDA does not review or approve cosmetics before they go to market - only taking legal action if a product poses a safety problem - certain disreputable manufacturers continue to formulate products with MMA.

Most main stream acrylics use a product called EMA or Ethyl Methacrylate, which has been deemed much safer for use in the beauty industry.

Here at The Nail Spa, we specifically use FDA approved EMA liquid.

What are the health risks associated with MMA products?

MMA-related complaints range from skin allergies to permanent loss of the nail plate. Here are the most common complaints that prompted the FDA to take action:

Nail Infections

The surface bond of the MMA acrylic is so strong to the soft tissue that even a slight trauma to the nail can cause the nail to break and lift off the nail bed. This can result in serious nail breaks, infection and loss of the nail plate. Ironically, it is the strength of the acrylic that attracts some users of the product. While MMA used in the medical and dental industries provides superior adhesion to bone, it is not appropriate or safe for use on the softer nail tissue.

Respiratory problems; eye, nose & throat irritation

MMA vapors are toxic even in small doses and can cause lung, liver and heart valve damage, especially with long term exposure. This has been documented in laboratory animals as well as in lab technicians from dental labs where crowns and dentures are made.

Permanent Nail Deformities

The small molecular structure of MMA makes it possible for it to be absorbed through even unbroken skin. It can also actually do permanent damage to the matrix of the nail and further absorb into the body. While MMA will not store in the tissue, it is stored as methanol in the blood and urine.

Severe Allergic Reactions

Repeated exposure to products containing MMA can result in severe allergic reactions. Redness, swelling and itching are common symptoms which can lead to the development of tiny blisters around the cuticles and fingertips. These blisters can develop into open sores, and the fingertips may become numb or feel itchy.

What’s the difference between EMA and MMA?

First, only three atoms distinguish the difference between EMA and MMA. However, this small chemical difference makes EMA much safer. An example is the difference between poisonous wood alcohol (methanol) and beverage alcohol (ethanol). Again the difference between the two molecules is only three atoms. Yet wood alcohol is deadly if consumed. Beverage alcohol is considered safe (if not used in excess!).

Another difference, and one that is most relative to consumers, is PRICE. MMA is much less expensive (about 1/16th the cost!), compared to EMA - this may explain the difference in prices at different salons.

HAZARD SUMMARY from the Materials Data Safety Sheet

** MMA has a strong, sharp, fruity odor and can affect you when breathed in

** It may damage a developing fetus

** Exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, and throat

** MMA can cause skin allergy

** Exposure could damage the nervous system. Symptoms may include pins and needles, numbness, weakness, and changes in the ability to remember and concentrate

** Severe side effects may include abnormal liver or kidney function, nervous system damage and reproductive problems

HAVE YOU BEEN EXPOSED TO MMA?

Here’s how to tell:

(Sometimes) Low pricing for acrylic service - not a special sale or offer

Acrylic difficult or impossible to remove with acetone

Techs or management secretive about brands used. Just because they have a name brand polish in the salon does not mean they are using that brand of acrylic. ASK to see original containers!

Technicians often wear masks to prevent inhalation of the powerful distinct odor- noxious, sharp and fruity

You experience headaches when you visit the salon

Hope this info helps--- I always educate my clients on the risks associated with MMA.. good luck! :biggrin:

princessmowgli said:
Sorry Mui, I see your point.

I guess none of us can be 100% unless we know what to look out for. Basically the topic of MMA came up on my course & my tutor warned us of several nail bars currently using the product. I personally would have not known all the tell tale signs but I learn something new every day.

Well my hairdresser, several of her friends & a few others I know have been & some unfortunately still do go to one of the bars local to me. A full set can be applied & finished in 45-50 mins & they take forever to get off.
They rarely suggest soaking off after XXX weeks, but simply infill or rebalance & paint.......infill & paint etc etc .

Sonia

Sonia sawasdee ka

Thank you for your post i am like you i want to learn about every thing that is why i ask .

To miss nail pro

Thank you for your post i will make note from all your post and i will look at every thing you speak about on your web site i am happy i find this .

I can not speak for America or England or any other country but what i can do is speak for Thailand because this is my country .

When i do my writing i can not use the wearing of mask because many techs use a mask as they do all over asia this is because of some things some of us we do not like any dust even a little bit and we do not like the smell of any liquid our smell is maybe different to another country for any body that has visit Bangkok our tuk tuk taxi drivers wear mask no mma :) .

Cheap how cheap is cheap in my own country we have people have salary some 100 baht for 1 day about 2.5 dollars a good job in a hotel you can have 200 baht for 1 day 5 usa dollars if some girl learns nail and the product cost 5 dollars to make the enhancement she can work for 7 dollars BUT we do not because we try to get back some of the big money that have have put into education :) and we feel we are doing a good job and want to have a profit for our work and education But i am doing nails this month and maybe next month for 500 baht 12 usa dollars i would die if some one thinks in another country i am using mma because i am cheaper i am doing this price to pay every thing and try save a little bit .

Enhancement is hard to remove if a tech rough the natural nail plate hard and use primer and heavy on making the enhancement i think but do not know if this nail enhancement would be harder to take off then if a nail tech is well trained and makes the nail with a primerless liquid and good prep i think it will be harder to remove .

Containers with no lables because some salons buy there powders in 8 oz containers and 8 oz or bigger liquids most techs will put into smaller containers i am different i have my origional containers on my nail table but we could never say in my country that this is a way to see if a salon is using mma with unlabled containers .

You as a nail tech are years in front of me and i can only hope one day that i will have the knowledge that you have i have just put to you only what i think in my country .

After my one year of study and looking to see how we can realy tell if a salon is use mma there is only one way and that is to test the liquid .

Thank you for all the other education in your post it is every thing i was looking for .

This is what i think .

Thank you mui :)

Sonia

Thanks for your message. I would be really grateful if you could get those numbers for me. My client is in on Wednesday, no pressure! :)

She is a bit scared of the whole mma thing now. I told her you could probably tell by the look of the salon, if you say they look good round your area, that could be a bit of a worry.

Let me know your details also, in case it's more convenient for her to come to you.

Thanks

Hi guys Just re posting this link as I have no joy with any numbers yet.

I have been on a recent education drive with my clients on the subject of MMA. One of my clients is off to UK for a few weeks/months over the summer and will need infills on her acrylic. Unfortunately she hasn't got the greatest set on at the moment as they were done by another salon using the dipping method. She doesnt like this and has come to me now for acrylic brushed on. I am currently filling them for the moment as she wants them kept on and not changed.

I need to know a few addresses (preferably easy to find) in the above areas, of a reliable salon who would be able to take care of her on my behalf. Preferably ONS user, however I'm sure Creative or other system will be sufficient.

Please feed back to me,

Kind Regards

Latest posts

Back