Work experience

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDmakeup

Reaction score
When I was at college the other year we had to carry out a week of work experience in a salon or spa. I did my work experience in a local salon and it was great, it gave me a good insight into the everyday life of working in a salon.
2 years on and I am looking for a job as a beauty therapist in a salon. Apart from volunteering in a hospice I feel like I don't have much experience and that this could affect my chances of getting a job. Is it possible to to get in contact with a salon and ask for work experience even though I am fully qualified? Is this allowed and has anybody done it?
I want to feel like I am doing something beauty and getting somewhere in my career.

Anyone can ask for work experience. The worst you can be told is no.

If you feel it will help your chances then by all means contact some local salons and see what they say :D Good luck!

I am in the same position. I finish my course soon but I feel I need more experiance. I would want to go into some salon and work even a day per week to get some practice.

Yes absolutely! This is what sets you apart from the crowd. You've gone and got additional work experience, and didn't get it just cos you were paid to be there! I really think voluntary w/e says a heck of a lot about a person's commitment. From the salon's experience who are used to having teenage school kids asking for w/e it will be a nice change to have someone with some skills under their belt too.

I'd say definitely go for it you have nothing to lose and everything to gain xx

Yes absolutely! This is what sets you apart from the crowd. You've gone and got additional work experience, and didn't get it just cos you were paid to be there! I really think voluntary w/e says a heck of a lot about a person's commitment. From the salon's experience who are used to having teenage school kids asking for w/e it will be a nice change to have someone with some skills under their belt too.

I'd say definitely go for it you have nothing to lose and everything to gain xx

Your absolutely right offering your services as w/e shows you are keen to work and learn it shows passion and not just that your doing it for a wage.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. There's a few salons which I've always wanted to work in so I'll maybe pop in or send them an email and ask. Seem to be getting no where with finding actual jobs at the moment and it can make you feel a bit down about your skills going to waste so it would be great if somebody would take me in lol.
@grochowa1 fingers crossed you get something soon too :)

I did work experience in a salon. I was more active on the reception desk than with clients but I'm really glad I did it as I feel it helped to me to be in the environment and I think it helped to support my applications for employment by showing that I was serious about being in the industry.

Have you tried applying to spas? I know you may prefer to work in a salon but they are often willing to take on people who are at the start of their career.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

I did work experience in a salon. I was more active on the reception desk than with clients but I'm really glad I did it as I feel it helped to me to be in the environment and I think it helped to support my applications for employment by showing that I was serious about being in the industry.

Have you tried applying to spas? I know you may prefer to work in a salon but they are often willing to take on people who are at the start of their career.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you.
How long did you do work experience in salons? Was it one salon for 1 day or 1 day per week for x amount of weeks? And was it after you finished college?
I haven't applied for spas yet. I don't drive so any spas are too far away at the moment. Would love to work in a spa though and that's encouraging to know that they are willing to take people on who are just starting out. Hopefully get this test passed soon and I can go for it. Thank you :)

Latest posts

Back