Work from home/ mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnsmbs1987

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I need some advice...

Myself and my sister are looking to set up our own business by the end of the year. We ideally would like to work from our garage at home, which would provide a very comfortable, accessible salon environment. The business would operate on a part time basis as I work full time.

However I'm not sure where we stand in terms of planning permission i.e change of use, business tax and any other associated charges.

Can you register as a mobile therapists and work from home or must you go through what seems like a long and costly process or setting up a salon from home and being employed through this.

We want to go through the official and proper process either way and dont want to take short cuts but want to weigh up both options i.e. pro's, con's etc

What have you other geeks done?

Your advice/ experience would be very welcome...

I don't know how it would work but your properly best to ring your local council for advise.

I set up from home but used a spare room, I didn't need planning permission. But I did ring the council to check everything out. Every council is different.

Good thread, I'm hoping to convert a detached garage into a salon as well so I would be really interested to hear if any other geeks have any advice :)

I started off mobile and registered with the tax man, I soon got a bit fed up with going from house to house and I always managed to forget something so I set up my spare room as a nail studio. I contacted my local council and as I wasn't converting the room as such I didn't need any permissions tho as I understand it you may require planning for change of use but check with your local council as they all have their own way of doing things. Don't forget to change your house insurance to a working from home policy just incase you need to claim for anything and I think you need to inform your mortgage company too if you have one.. Good luck and I hope it works out well for you xx

We're just in the middle of buying the house at the minute, when the mortgage adviser asked if it would be used for commercial purposes we said no :eek: hope it doesn't end up causing issues further down the line?? xo

Our garage has been converted and that needed planning permission. My understanding is that this is required for any "change of use".

As for working from home, it depends on your council. I have spoken to Environmental Health for my council and I don't need a licence, but they have inspected my premises and registered what I am doing. This was over and above what I needed to do, but at least I'm hopefully oercoming any obstacles before they arise. I am aware that some councils issue licenses, so you need to check.

HTH

It is a costly process but cheaper than a salon. I would go down the proper route aswel, coz it'll always come out in the end, with competitors making calls to the council etc. U will need planning permission so call ur local council. All ur neighbours and surronding streets will be informed an have an option of refusing u. The mortgage side will also need to be informed, and evaluation for ur rates for that space will need to be checked for how much ur rates will be per square meter. Insurance household and business. Hth x

Our garage has been converted and that needed planning permission. My understanding is that this is required for any "change of use".

As for working from home, it depends on your council. I have spoken to Environmental Health for my council and I don't need a licence, but they have inspected my premises and registered what I am doing. This was over and above what I needed to do, but at least I'm hopefully oercoming any obstacles before they arise. I am aware that some councils issue licenses, so you need to check.

HTH

Do you mind me asking, was it pretty straight forward obtaining the planning permission? I know we're all in different areas so obviously different councils, etc. but was it a difficult process? Theres so much to think about isn't there! xo

It is a costly process but cheaper than a salon. I would go down the proper route aswel, coz it'll always come out in the end, with competitors making calls to the council etc. U will need planning permission so call ur local council. All ur neighbours and surronding streets will be informed an have an option of refusing u. The mortgage side will also need to be informed, and evaluation for ur rates for that space will need to be checked for how much ur rates will be per square meter. Insurance household and business. Hth x
I'm definitely going to make sure I do everything by the book, I'd hate to have my dreams ripped away from me just because I didn't have the right licence or something! Im hoping that because this house is at the end of a cul de sac and the house itself has a driveway large enough for 4 parked cars, so no parking issues with the neighbours, that it will all go in our favour? Sorry for totally hijacking this thread and thank you for all of the info! :hug: xo

It's not just the parking, the neighbours mite see this as ur drawing more people to the street on a daily basis, for eg if u saw one client every 15mins and ur sister that's 8 different cars in an hour. Would ur quiet culdesac like that? They would feel they were living on a main rd. Not to put a downer on it just it's good to see all points of view because planning permission is around £300 which is a lot to waste.
Like one of the replies u mite need a licence as well, but depends on ur council but all that will come after ur planning's been accepted, it usually takes around 3 months to go through. x

Haha sorry I only jus understood the bit about hijacking the thread! I thought u were the one who started this thread lol! Sorry! but the same info would apply to both ladies hth x

It's not just the parking, the neighbours mite see this as ur drawing more people to the street on a daily basis, for eg if u saw one client every 15mins and ur sister that's 8 different cars in an hour. Would ur quiet culdesac like that? They would feel they were living on a main rd. Not to put a downer on it just it's good to see all points of view because planning permission is around £300 which is a lot to waste.
Like one of the replies u mite need a licence as well, but depends on ur council but all that will come after ur planning's been accepted, it usually takes around 3 months to go through. x
No you're not putting a downer on it at all, I appreciate the advice! Well the street in just off a busy road and beside a football field, so it is quite busy. Also there are only 10 houses in a row and next door is a holiday home and the man who owns it is hardly ever there. Hopefully it will work out! Thnks for the advice, it is definitely always good to look at things from all angles. Maybe I'll give all of the neighbours free treatments lol :lol: xo

No you're not putting a downer on it at all, I appreciate the advice! Well the street in just off a busy road and beside a football field, so it is quite busy. Also there are only 10 houses in a row and next door is a holiday home and the man who owns it is hardly ever there. Hopefully it will work out! Thnks for the advice, it is definitely always good to look at things from all angles. Maybe I'll give all of the neighbours free treatments lol :lol: xo

Haha yes I'm sure they'd love that!! Maybe it mite be good knockin on there door and speaking to them all to get there opinions first.
Anyways best of luck to u!! Hope it works out well x

Thats a good idea actually, if it doesn't go to plan I'll just have to be mobile... thanks for your input! :) xo

Latest posts

Back