Working abroad with Beauty Qualifications

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terese

Reaction score
Hi all
Im aware of meany geeks in the EU or U.S, aus, Nz who work within this industry and hopefully you can give me some pointers in the right direction to ask the right questions to the relevant people. I have done searches such as "working in beauty abroad" but not much at all.

Are any of the qualifications we do here i.e city &Guilds, NVQ etc recognised abroad?

If not, do you have to go back to college and retrain?

Any particular Nail courses transferable (im aware there is a CND ambassader in NZ) but I use other products.

Thanks in advance
Teresa

Our beauty educator at college worked for a few years recently in NZ and helped draw up their education standards. She said that their beauty qualifications are based on our NVQs/VTCTs.

Perhaps contact the VTCT (VTCT - Home) who might be able to clarify. I know VTCTs are accepted in quite a few countries but you may need to take some additional training re their local legislation.

Christine
That is an excellent idea, considering I was thinking of NZ...thankyou very much:lol:

Christine
That is an excellent idea, considering I was thinking of NZ...thankyou very much:lol:

They do say that NZ is the world's best kept secret. I'd love to go there. Good luck with it!

my tutor was just telling my all city and guilds are worldwide recognised..hope shes right cos i would love to jet off again :) xx

I have been thinking of it for some time...but like most people I have commitments etc, my son is an apprentice bricklayer and he asked me why we get taxed so high and on everything in this country? to that I had no reply, I was a bit dumbfounded as he is only 17!
Im off to Australia in aug 09 for a while and the u.s hopefully this oct/nov(see my granpa) I am going to have a treatment at a few local beauty salons and see how it all differs ....:lol:

Last edited:
I have been thinking of it for some time...but like most people I have commitments etc, my son is an apprentice bricklayer and he asked me why we get taxed so high and on everything in this country? to that I had no reply, I was a bit dumbfounded as he is only 17!
Im off to Australia in aug 09 for a while and the u.s hopefully this oct/nov(see my granpa) I am going to have a treatment at a few local beauty salons and see how it all differs ....:lol:

Ooh, sounds like fun! What a great research opportunity!

In the US, each state has their own requirements for licensing/certification. I know in Colorado, people who want to transfer their credentials into a CO license are reviewed on an individual basis. Your credentials will probably transfer okay for the education requirement, although some states might be picky and ask for proof of the number of hours you put in, especially for Beauty Therapy because in the US, Esthetics and Nails are different licenses with different requirements. You also might have to take a State Board exam to get your license. These usually consist of a practical and written exam. I hope that doesn't put you off! It's probably not a big deal.

Nailpro, our industry magazine, has a list of links to each state's State Board that might be helpful: Nailpro Magazine: State Boards At the very least, these links will have contact info for people who will know for sure.

Sorry I couldn't be of more specific help!

Good luck, have fun! :green:

Thanks Milkshaker and all....
Like I said Im thinking:idea:, I had contemplated it when I was nursing and never got around to it...but family seem keen

Thanks again for all the input everyone

Latest posts

Back