Working around family

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnaRedd

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just looking for a bit of advice....
I have a young family daughter is 3 and my other daughter is only 2 weeks old. While pregnant I stumbled across a shop to rent through our local council so I put a bid in and I am due to sign the lease on Monday but now I'm not sure if I should go ahead. The rent is really cheap and is only a short term lease and I have nothing to loose really as I have everything I need to set up a beauty salon but I don't want to loose precious time with my girls. I was planning on having the shop open on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and by appointment on the other days this way I can still have family time and work time but I'm not sure if this is going to be totally unrealistic. What are your working hours? How do you work around your family. I don't want the opportunity to pass and then regret it in the future.

Is it possible for you to employ 1 or 2 therapists?

I don't want the opportunity to pass and then regret it in the future.

It's true that businesses grow through opportunity, and it's the discernment of the entrepreneur that will recognise the ones that will work.

I certainly admire you for your ambition and wanting to get on when you already have a full life. I think it's important that you understand the risks you're taking, not just the financial, but also to your family.

I know many that have done exactly what you are doing and have made it a great success. But you have to go into is with the knowledge to deal with the risks and to take off any rose tinted glasses.

Do you have a business advisor, or mentor who can help you understand the business side of what you're doing? I think at the very minimum you should be putting together a business plan. There are loads of templates available on the internet, but probably the best place to get on is from your bank's website.

Good luck and keep us geeks up to date with your progress.

Thanks for replying.
I will be looking at taking on a member of staff at some point in the future but was planning on doing all the treatments myself until I was up and running. I also have a girl who is interested in renting a room a few days a week to do tooth whitening which I'm considering.
I'm definitely not going into this with rose tinted glasses. I have great support from family and my husband has been amazing. He has 2 businesses so has been advising me and helping me. Everything is telling me to go for it but I suppose it's a confidence thing too and having the belief that I can make it work. I think I'm just going to go for it. I have nothing to loose and I know I will regret it if I don't give it a go.

By the sounds of it, it's just your fear barrier holding you back! You have the support from your husband and an opportunity you don't want to miss. So why miss it?

I have been given a strong work ethic through seeing my parents build a successful business and never felt I missed out on them growing up.

Break through the barrier, get out of your comfort zone. What's the worse that can happen? Your short term lease ends and you decide not to continue...

Ild be wary of not getting any clients on the days that you won't be in the salon. As a customer I hate it when salons are only open by appointment (even though I have to make an appointment) it still annoys me enough to go elsewhere as sometimes I just like to speak to the therapists and see what's it's like before I book. Did you go back to work early with your first? I stayed off for ages with my first and went back soon after my second and hated it so much I ended up taking a little more time off. Have you left your youngest for any length of time yet to see how you feel. It's all about how you feel, children are normally happy if their parents are. I would really consider getting someone to open up on the days you are not working. Best of luck, it does sound exciting x

Go for it you have nothing to lose. Make sure you divert all calls to your mobile when you are closed, so you can still book appointments etc. I dont know about every one else , but Saturday is one of our quietest days. We offer late night appointments on a wed/thur/ friday untill 9:30 pm, so maybe this is why. Would it be possible for the first 6 months , to open through out the week ? you may find a Monday would be busier then a Saturday for example. good luck and i hope it all goes well for you x

Latest posts

Back