Working from a rented house?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkyboots33

Reaction score
very sorry if this has already been asked but i can find an answer to this particular question i have.

i live in a rented house (local authority) and wondered if i could have potential problems if i choose to work from home?

thanks in advance guys!

xxx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

If you check your missive you will see that you are not allowed to use your property as a place of business. I'm sure there are plenty of people who do it but your risking your home if someone decides to stick you in. Been there done it and got the tshirt lol xx

Saw something on
Www.direct.gov.uk
About this recently, said something about council tennants will able to set up business in their home due to a change in rules, encourages people to be self employed and stuff. Have a look on there for abit more insight, then try ringing the council and your housing assocsiation for a definate answer on theit policies etc. Hth xx

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

Hi, I sent a letter to the council asking if I could use a room in my house as a salon and much to my surprise they said yes. They gave me a list of terms that I had to agree to but nothing that will be a problem. I guess it depends on the rules of your particular council / housing association. You lose nothing by asking.

you need to ask your landlords permission and have this in writing otherwise your insurance would be invalid, then ask your council if you need a license,

if you get both then good luck xx

If you check your missive you will see that you are not allowed to use your property as a place of business. I'm sure there are plenty of people who do it but your risking your home if someone decides to stick you in. Been there done it and got the tshirt lol xx

Was this recent? I didnt even realise there could be a problem :sad:

Saw something on
Website of the UK government : Directgov
About this recently, said something about council tennants will able to set up business in their home due to a change in rules, encourages people to be self employed and stuff. Have a look on there for abit more insight, then try ringing the council and your housing assocsiation for a definate answer on theit policies etc. Hth xx

Thanks for that, think im too scared to phone :(

Hi, I sent a letter to the council asking if I could use a room in my house as a salon and much to my surprise they said yes. They gave me a list of terms that I had to agree to but nothing that will be a problem. I guess it depends on the rules of your particular council / housing association. You lose nothing by asking.

Thanks for that - just dont know what ill do if they say i cant :twisted:

you need to ask your landlords permission and have this in writing otherwise your insurance would be invalid, then ask your council if you need a license,

if you get both then good luck xx

Thanks Souz, guess ill need to pluck up the courage to call them then.. :-0

Thanks for that, think im too scared to phone :(

Think theres a saying "if you dont ask you dont get!"... Skys the limit chick xx

Thanks for that - just dont know what ill do if they say i cant :twisted:
Appeal :D
A lady on here had this problem and we told her to go above the snooty so and so who told her she couldn't do it and his boss over ruled him.
I've had a home salon in my council home for a few years now. All they wanted to know was how many people would be there at the same time, well I'm one person so.... one:| And they needed to see my business insurance, which was with Salon Gold That was it. Oh! one more thing, the lady I spoke to wanted to know if I did spray tans:D

I am a HA tenant and checked with them first just had to let them see a copy of my public liability insurance

Thanks guys :D will give them a call tomorrow and let you know what they say. im still training just now - completed the natrually part of the complete course but still a newbie and have soooo much to learn, all your help is very much appreciated.

Saw something on
Website of the UK government : Directgov

is there a link or does anyone know if any info i can view pls...had a meeting this am and dent look good at all - been having right old bubble today about ut all so any help would be much appreciated :)

is there a link or does anyone know if any info i can view pls...had a meeting this am and dent look good at all - been having right old bubble today about ut all so any help would be much appreciated :)

sorry about the typos :-\

I got the go ahead last week from my council to work from home doing nails.

All i had to do was fill a form in and send it off, took about a month as they checked with planning and roads etc, i have never been asked for my insurance or quals.

Have conditions i have to stick to but all good.

that's fab new, well done you!
just don't get why they make it sooo difficult :-(
do you own your house or rent?

Appeal :D
A lady on here had this problem and we told her to go above the snooty so and so who told her she couldn't do it and his boss over ruled him.
I've had a home salon in my council home for a few years now. All they wanted to know was how many people would be there at the same time, well I'm one person so.... one:| And they needed to see my business insurance, which was with Salon Gold That was it. Oh! one more thing, the lady I spoke to wanted to know if I did spray tans:D

do you think its different for different councils? i phoned my local council office and they didn't think i could, they then transfers me through to business gateway (an organisation. who helps ppl set up small business's) who point blankly. said that if your a council tenant you couldn't work from home but you can if you own your own home.

anybody else been in my situation or know if/where I can find more info?

anybody else been in my situation or know if/where I can find more info?

Look at your tenancy agreement... I didn't think you were allowed to.x

Latest posts

Back