Working from home dilemma please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm fairly new to this so may be posting this in the completely wrong place and please bare with me..

I have my own salon which I have owned for 10 years. I had our first child in June 2018 and have been back doing clients since LO was 4 months old. I'm fast approaching the end of my maternity and alongside that, my landlord is looking at extending my lease which runs out in July. There is a 6 month notice period (due in 2 weeks) that I'd need to give him if I want to terminate the lease so he can look for a new Tennant etc.
I have serious doubts of carrying on the business, staff is stressful and I feel I'm constantly waiting for the next tax/vat bill which leaves me very little to take home considering the stress that goes alongside. My outlook has changed since having our daughter and I am very much considering bringing the business home to work on my own. My accountant has advised to not sell the business so I can keep my clientele, equipment stock etc but basically move my business to my home.
I am currently looking at all the legalities as I want to make sure I do this properly. I have just rang my mortgage company and they have told me by no means am I allowed to bring clients on to our property. I am absolutely devastated as I now feel stuck. How the hell do the rest of the home therapists work? Are they dodging the system? There are so many therapists that work from home that I just don't understand why TSB say I cannot do this?!?!?
Any advise or insight would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the rant and thank you in advance!!!

What proportion of your house would be in use?

The conservatory. so I'd have side access via the garden.

Some mortgages don't allow you to have a business, some allow it if you are using only one room or a certain proportion of that property.

It seems TSB are a definite no and we're 6 months in to a 5 year fixed! If I knew then what I do now, I'd have checked!
As soon as I said I'd have clients they asked no more questions!

Thank you I'll take a look!

Even if you sort out the mortgage issue, you need to check with the council to see if you need to apply for 'change of use' planning permission. The rules seem to vary across the uk so just check with your own district council. An easy phone call.

Latest posts

Back