Working from home, informing the council?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nateice

Reaction score
Hi

I am new to the industry and want to offer beauty treatments from my home. I have an out building set up as a therapy room, my main treatments will be waxing and spray tanning.

I do not have any clients at present and hope to build as I go along. My question is if I am only treating maybe 3 people per month, when do I inform my council and if I do will I be expected to pay business rates right away for such little income? Also as I will be offering waxing do I need a special licence and do I need to register with a special waste disposal company? I find it a huge expense if I only have a few clients per month.

Lastly I have a salon on the same road as me so I am worried if I do not inform the council etc I take the risk of being reported anyway. I just need to know where I stand!

Any advice would be gladly appreciated.

Many thanks x

Try going on your councils website as it varies depending on who your council is, if your premises main use is a home then I would suspect you will be fine! Don't panic if you can't find anything online I'd call them as until you know the answer you will just be worrying about it!x

Hi,

Every council is different, however all I needed to do was send off documents such as my insurance, training certificate, etc.

I also had to ask my neighbors for a letter of consent.

That was it really. I'd give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

it also makes a difference if the room that you will be working in will also be used for non work?

Thank you for your replys you have been very helpful.

Souz would you mind explaining why it would make a difference?

Many thanks x

Latest posts

Back