Working from home moan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JemmaBeauty

Reaction score
Sorry about the rant but I'm so sick of people turning up at my house unannounced and on my day off :rolleyes:
I work from a studio in my garden (converted detached garage), I love my job, but man do I hate people showing up at my home.
In the last 4 weeks, 3 people have come to my house either wanting to book an appointment or buy vouchers. Have they not heard of a phone??!
The reason it annoys me so much is that all three times they woken my 16 month old daughter up, who then won't go back to sleep (and is now overtired and screaming :eek: ). I also have dogs who go insane when someones at the door and I worry this is off-putting. And on one occasion I had pyjamas on, hair scraped back, and odd socks on! Not the look I want my clients to witness.

I know I must look flustered because the lady who turned up today told me I looked like I needed a holiday (I think she thought I was being quite abrupt), but my daughter was crying in bed! I told her that I needed to go and that she can contact me at any time by phone, text, email, messenger etc. I'm now worried that I came across rude, as she decided not to go ahead with buying a voucher and said she'd get back to me :oops:

I've worked from home for over 3 years but recently I've started to feel so on edge, like I can't relax in fear of someone just showing up!

I have a website with online booking system. It states on the homepage and on my business Facebook not to come to my home or studio without a scheduled appointment. I also have a page all about vouchers, open hours etc. My contact details are on every page of my website, as well as Google. The lady today had been on my website so I'm really not sure how she missed it all!???

Is the next step really to have signs up at my studio door, house back door and front door???
How do people do this? All three of my doors don't have windows, so a sign would need to be on the outside and weather resistant? I didn't really want to resort to this but I'm thinking theres no other option? Sorry if I sound like I'm moaning but I really feel like its unfair on my daughter.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't think you're being unfair.

I'd consider putting signs up and I wouldn't care how you come across. I would have been pissed off to.

Could you put another polite reminder on your Facebook to say you are only available during certain hours and state those hours. Clients honestly don’t think & they are not respecting your private space x

I don't think you're being unfair.

I'd consider putting signs up and I wouldn't care how you come across. I would have been pissed off to.

Thank you!!

Could you put another polite reminder on your Facebook to say you are only available during certain hours and state those hours. Clients honestly don’t think & they are not respecting your private space x

I did a Facebook post a few months ago after it happened then as well, and I have it pinned so its the first post on my Facebook page.
I've just gone on to my website and attached a notice on to the header so it appears on every single page. Doesn't look too good but at least you can't miss it now haha.

Good for you and i hope it works this time

Sorry about the rant but I'm so sick of people turning up at my house unannounced and on my day off :rolleyes:
I work from a studio in my garden (converted detached garage), I love my job, but man do I hate people showing up at my home.
In the last 4 weeks, 3 people have come to my house either wanting to book an appointment or buy vouchers. Have they not heard of a phone??!
The reason it annoys me so much is that all three times they woken my 16 month old daughter up, who then won't go back to sleep (and is now overtired and screaming :eek: ). I also have dogs who go insane when someones at the door and I worry this is off-putting. And on one occasion I had pyjamas on, hair scraped back, and odd socks on! Not the look I want my clients to witness.

I know I must look flustered because the lady who turned up today told me I looked like I needed a holiday (I think she thought I was being quite abrupt), but my daughter was crying in bed! I told her that I needed to go and that she can contact me at any time by phone, text, email, messenger etc. I'm now worried that I came across rude, as she decided not to go ahead with buying a voucher and said she'd get back to me :oops:

I've worked from home for over 3 years but recently I've started to feel so on edge, like I can't relax in fear of someone just showing up!

I have a website with online booking system. It states on the homepage and on my business Facebook not to come to my home or studio without a scheduled appointment. I also have a page all about vouchers, open hours etc. My contact details are on every page of my website, as well as Google. The lady today had been on my website so I'm really not sure how she missed it all!???

Is the next step really to have signs up at my studio door, house back door and front door???
How do people do this? All three of my doors don't have windows, so a sign would need to be on the outside and weather resistant? I didn't really want to resort to this but I'm thinking theres no other option? Sorry if I sound like I'm moaning but I really feel like its unfair on my daughter.
Thanks!
You are absolutely NOT being unreasonable here. What is wrong with people?! I have a chalkboard with the chalk pens that are weather resistant as a closed sign on my door. It looks pretty because it’s a heart shaped one and it clearly states that the salon is closed. You could perhaps get these for your front & back doors (wherever they tend to turn up) and write “SALON CLOSED, PLEASE RETURN ON TUESDAY or CALL blah blah FOR AN APPOINTMENT” if they still knock on the door you will be well within your rights to tell them off. I feel for you. It’s horrible feeling on edge in your own personal space x

Could you remove your exact address from the website?? Maybe just state the town & street but only tell them the house number when they book?? Difficult with online booking involved though I guess...

You are absolutely NOT being unreasonable here. What is wrong with people?! I have a chalkboard with the chalk pens that are weather resistant as a closed sign on my door. It looks pretty because it’s a heart shaped one and it clearly states that the salon is closed. You could perhaps get these for your front & back doors (wherever they tend to turn up) and write “SALON CLOSED, PLEASE RETURN ON TUESDAY or CALL blah blah FOR AN APPOINTMENT” if they still knock on the door you will be well within your rights to tell them off. I feel for you. It’s horrible feeling on edge in your own personal space x

I think its terribly rude but its happened so much recently, that I was starting to think that I was being unreasonable?!
Thank you, that sounds like a good idea and I like to sound of a chalk board - I hadn't thought of that! Thank you.

I wouldn’t even go to the door if I knew it was a client wanting me out of working hours. People take the absolute piss and think it’s okay to treat us like this and it’s totally not at all!! Xx

Hi Jemma
I don't get too many unwanted clients luckily, but I think it's that your clients are used to you being always availble like on Facebook. They are so used to getting an instant reply or comment you must always feel like you 're never free from work!
You must be brave and no you aren't being rude . They are cheeky and don't care that it is your sanctuary when your salon door is closed.
Don't answer the door, pretend to be in the bath/ out or in bed.
Educate your clients to always ring or text if they are due to call for a gift voucher so that you arrange with them a suitable time for them to pop around. That's what I do .Hope you get a bit of peace and your home life back!
Good luck

Thanks!

That is absolutely ridiculous. Dont stand for this!!

You mustn’t answer the door to these people. If you do ask if they have an appointment. If they say no, then ask why they felt a need to turn up to your home unannounced. There is nothing wrong with protecting yourself and your family! Protecting your daughters sleep and your sanity included in that.

I can’t imagine why they would think it appropriate unless somewhere in an obscure part of the internet it says somewhere you do walk ins or it doesn’t say by appointment only. That of course or they are very stupid and inconsiderate.

The thing is, you’ve got to have that first impression good, so if you aren’t dressed, definitely don’t answer. I think you do need a sign, doesn’t have to be big. Maybe a note on the door, that says ‘please do not knock unless you have a parcel or a pointment’ haha or ‘do not disturb unless you are amazon or are amazing and booked an appointment.’ Or simply ‘no walk ins.’ Keep it funny and nice if you want to, even print out that funny meme of christopher walken that says ‘by appointment only no walkens.’

Then at least they may bugger off but still end up booking in -though i’ve said this before about people that call me..if they call and read everywhere that says only book online or email, and text me on the day of an appt because there is no such thing as an emergency here, if they still call or complain I don’t take calls then they aren’t my ideal customer and shouldn’t be taking up my valuable time from people that follow the correct way to do things. If they read everywhere that no, they cannot just turn up, then if they don’t book in then they are not the kind of person you want in your home anyway.

All else fails tell them to f off haha

***Just a thought as well, my clients usually buy products in person but some do like to order a lotion once in a blue moon so I have a service category called Pick Up appointments. They get an email when product arrives telling them to logon and book a pick up slot. They worry that they will disturb me so it is very useful.

Not sure if anyone has suggested this, bit why not get ring doorbell? I plan on doing this, just at least so I dont have to go to the front door when I'm working from home, just answer from my phone.

I work from home myself, people come in through the garage. But I have had someone once just walk through the front door into the lounge ‍♀️. My husband was eating dinner with his top off and honestly thought he was going to scream!

Luckily that’s about the only problem I have, I don’t have many just turn up but I can honestly see how people would do it. Some people just don’t seem to care or see the problem with it.

Definitely try and be less accessible after u open hours. I’m trying to do that at the minute, just to be able to switch off more too xx

All good advice here. It’s only happened to me once or twice. Both times I was gob smacked and looked a little stunned. I don’t have any signs on my house. Clients know it’s a private’s house and they just ring the door bell.

If I'm working on a client at home and no other family member around, then I lock the front door and if anyone rings the bell then I just don't answer.
Delivery men will usually just leave the package anyway and if it's a client enquiry they just go away. I have a sign with my website address on it in the window if they are a complete stranger. I also have a answer machine for the phone so equally, I don't answer this mid-appointment either.

Seriously, what is wrong with people!? I thought it was bad enough having clients turn up 30 minutes early ringing the doorbell when I'm still with another client! I just wouldn't answer the door or put up a sign. People can be so rude!

Best thing I EVER did was put a cheap security camera at my front door. It connects to my wifi and I can connect to it on different devices, including my phone. I have a sign which says no charity collectors, sales people or religious callers and another signs which has my salon name and an arrow pointing to the side gate.
The other day I had a client and the front door bell rang. I wasn't expecting anyone. I checked on my camera and it was a charity collector, so I ignored them.

When your clients come for an appointment do they come directly to the studio or do you allow them through your house?
If they go directly to the studio then I would suggest having a separate door bell installed at your front door which clearly states SALON, that way it will ring in the salon and not your house.
If you can send them to the studio and not through your house this would be a good practice to start. It separates your business and home.
But if you can't then that is annoying.

Regardless I would put a sign saying Salon OPEN/CLOSED, in full view at your front door and state if Salon is closed please contact me via xxxx
Lots of mums with babies have a sign on their door stating 'Sleeping Baby, please do not knock or ring) and I think most people respect this (one would hope).

Best thing I EVER did was put a cheap security camera at my front door. It connects to my wifi and I can connect to it on different devices, including my phone. I have a sign which says no charity collectors, sales people or religious callers and another signs which has my salon name and an arrow pointing to the side gate.
The other day I had a client and the front door bell rang. I wasn't expecting anyone. I checked on my camera and it was a charity collector, so I ignored them.

When your clients come for an appointment do they come directly to the studio or do you allow them through your house?
If they go directly to the studio then I would suggest having a separate door bell installed at your front door which clearly states SALON, that way it will ring in the salon and not your house.
If you can send them to the studio and not through your house this would be a good practice to start. It separates your business and home.
But if you can't then that is annoying.

Regardless I would put a sign saying Salon OPEN/CLOSED, in full view at your front door and state if Salon is closed please contact me via xxxx
Lots of mums with babies have a sign on their door stating 'Sleeping Baby, please do not knock or ring) and I think most people respect this (one would hope).

My studio is adjacent to my house, so clients go straight to the studio door. Thats why its thrown me when people come to the house. I just can't get my head around them driving to me (I live semi-rural on a country lane) over calling, texting or booking online. So strange!
Camera sounds like a good idea, I will keep that in mind, thank you! And yes I've just put up a sleeping baby sign :) x

I work from home myself, people come in through the garage. But I have had someone once just walk through the front door into the lounge ‍♀️. My husband was eating dinner with his top off and honestly thought he was going to scream!

Luckily that’s about the only problem I have, I don’t have many just turn up but I can honestly see how people would do it. Some people just don’t seem to care or see the problem with it.

Definitely try and be less accessible after u open hours. I’m trying to do that at the minute, just to be able to switch off more too xx

Oh my goodness, what are some people like haha. Never fails to amaze me. I'm terrible for answering messages sent to me at 10pm or on a Sunday so maybe I'll try and stick to work hours a little more x

Latest posts

Back