Working from home - what do I have to consider?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teena_B

Reaction score
Another one from me, I'm afraid!

I am planning on being mobile, but am also considering offering treatments from home. What do I have to consider, and who do I have to inform? Does your house insurance go up drastically?

Again, all advice greatly appreciated!
From Teena B

Hi Teena

Im a bit new to this myself so i will just share my understanding of working from home, it may help you a little bit.

Firstly i have set up my nail table in a spare bedroom, i was worried about tax issues etc but when you think about it, i have spent so much on training, buying the tools and lamps, training videos etc, im not likely to make any money for a long time yet (i just do friends and family at the moment!) so as long as you have it all written down in a book somewhere, if you get inspected by the tax man you will be covered.

Regarding insurance, i have got that from professional beauty direct £34 for a year and it covers you for damage to your house and while mobile in other peoples houses for up to £2 million damages, it does not then affect your house insurance. I thought that was great!!

Once i have completed all the training i have planned i will be advertising for real clients!!!!!!!!!!!!! :0)

I hope this helps you a bit!

Teena - do a search on this site under 'insurance' and you'll find several other threads on this subject recently too! xxx

Brooke said:
Hi Teena

Regarding insurance, i have got that from professional beauty direct £34 for a year and it covers you for damage to your house and while mobile in other peoples houses for up to £2 million damages, it does not then affect your house insurance. I thought that was great!!

I hope this helps you a bit!
HEY, GREAT! I've actually got the Professional Beauty Direct Insurance already! I got it to do some facepainting jobs! I thought it just covered if I poke someone in the eye with my nail file!(JUST KIDDING, HONESTLY!) Seriously, I thought it just covered personal injury to the clients! This is great news. Now I just have to worry about insuring my kit, and changing my car insurance, plus anything else that hasn't come up.

I have kept all receipts for my kit, tools, training, so should be ok there too.

Thanks to all for help!;)
Luv to u all!

hi wat happens if they have an accident such as fall down your stairs or trip up on a rug i didnt think prof beauty covered that??? i know it covers damage such as if you spilt wax on there carpet or something and to the client xx also you have to let the council know due to the parkin spaces etc i think there was a thread about this b4 xx

i think you need to check this one out v carefully - i am in the process of doing so, i will let you know as soon as i have info! There are all sorts of things to consider...the council and business rates, you need to let your landlord/mortgage co know, your home insurers, even your neighbours could make life difficult! sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

hi girlies,

i am just about to start working from home and mobile after being in a salon for 4 years while having my second baby - god life will be so much less stress for me!!
*as far as the council is concerened i think it depends on where you live ( crazy i know!)

* not sure about insurance was going to call them tommorrow!!

* and tax man needs to know how ever much you are earning ( dont want to mess with him!! trust me a friend did and she was in big trouble!)
you are allowed to earn a certain amount (think its about £4500 before you have to pay any tax anyhow) but you will still need to fill in a tax return and declare that you are self employed.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

take care

kim ( Get Nailed)

I thought it might be more complicated than it first seems. I can imagine one of my neighbours complaining about parking (she complained that we were keeping her up one night whenmy hubby was laying a laminate floor. It was 7.30 pm!) but I would ask people to park on my drive only, not on the road/path. As for the tax thing, I've been told that if you make a loss in yur 1st year it is carried over to the 2nd year (eg if you spend £3000 in 1st year, make a profit of £2000, the £1000 loss is carried over to the next year). This would be handy due to the training I'm doing at the moment, and all the startup costs involved.

I think to start with I will just be mobile, then I can worry about the home side when I'm more experienced in being a business person. I think it's too much for me to worry about at the mo. to do both, plus I have to persuade my daughter to sell her drumkit in order for me to have enough space at home! :)

See my previous posts re the council and insurance issues, it's a bit of a minefield. If you're not sure about the taxman, they do some excellent FREE courses to help you when you start up as self employed - how to keep records and accounts, do your end of year etc. I couldn't recommend them highly enough. But you must register as self employed asap, no matter what your earnings. Unfortunately I was informed by HM Taxes that training for yourself is not reclaimable against expenses as it is seen as a necessary tool to carry out your work, so be careful.
Teena_B said:
I thought it might be more complicated than it first seems. I can imagine one of my neighbours complaining about parking (she complained that we were keeping her up one night whenmy hubby was laying a laminate floor. It was 7.30 pm!) but I would ask people to park on my drive only, not on the road/path. As for the tax thing, I've been told that if you make a loss in yur 1st year it is carried over to the 2nd year (eg if you spend £3000 in 1st year, make a profit of £2000, the £1000 loss is carried over to the next year). This would be handy due to the training I'm doing at the moment, and all the startup costs involved.

I think to start with I will just be mobile, then I can worry about the home side when I'm more experienced in being a business person. I think it's too much for me to worry about at the mo. to do both, plus I have to persuade my daughter to sell her drumkit in order for me to have enough space at home! :)

Latest posts

Back