Working from home while working in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvbeauty

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just need your advice please, I am working in a beauty salon for part time, I have started a month ago and I still don’t have enough clients so I usually work 2 days a week and I have decided to set up a beauty room for myself at home. Should I tell my boss that I am going to start working from home in my free days which is 4 days a week. I don’t live close to my salon so none of my client will know that I am working from home anyway, most of my clients will be my neighbours. I just want to do treatments instead of staying at home doing nothing for the rest of the week. What do you think I should do, is it ok if she finds out that I accept clients in my home?

The first thing to check is whether you need planning permission to work from home.
Give your council a ring to ask.
It can easily take 3-4 months to get this.

Last edited:
The first thing to check is whether you need planning permission to work from home.
Give your council a ring to ask.
It can easily take 3-4 months to get this.

Thanks for the reply, I have already talked to the council, they only asked me to register for the revenue and get myself an insurance.

Thanks for the reply, I have already talked to the council, they only asked me to register for the revenue and get myself an insurance.

Lucky you! [emoji122]

I’m in the same position at the moment! I work full time in salon on an employed basis and have done for 2 years, I’m quite close to my boss and felt that I didn’t want her to think (if she ever did find out) that I was going behind her back and taking clients etc, so I told her. It’s an awkward subject to talk about, but if I was someone’s boss I’d probably want to know too!

It might be harder if you’re offering all the treatments that you offer in salon because that way there isn’t really anything in it for her, ill really only be doing acrylic nails and Shellac in the evenings and will send all other clients to the salon, whereas if someone asks you to do waxing etc she’s going to know you’ll just tell them to go to your house as apposed to taking them to the salon where she could make money out of it?

I totally see where you’re coming from, you just need to make it look like a good thing for both parties, so maybe even offering a couple of treatments at home and not them all and taking some into your work would help.

Good luck whatever you decide to do! xx

I’m in the same position at the moment! I work full time in salon on an employed basis and have done for 2 years, I’m quite close to my boss and felt that I didn’t want her to think (if she ever did find out) that I was going behind her back and taking clients etc, so I told her. It’s an awkward subject to talk about, but if I was someone’s boss I’d probably want to know too!

It might be harder if you’re offering all the treatments that you offer in salon because that way there isn’t really anything in it for her, ill really only be doing acrylic nails and Shellac in the evenings and will send all other clients to the salon, whereas if someone asks you to do waxing etc she’s going to know you’ll just tell them to go to your house as apposed to taking them to the salon where she could make money out of it?

I totally see where you’re coming from, you just need to make it look like a good thing for both parties, so maybe even offering a couple of treatments at home and not them all and taking some into your work would help.

Good luck whatever you decide to do! xx

Thanks a lot for the reply, I think I will tell her eventually if I start getting some clients at home but for now I will wait and see. You are right, I wont be making any facials at home so if anyone asks for a facial I can recommend her and she can get some clients, I am sure she would like that

Check your contract/employment handbook- it will usually say in there about other business interests..If you havent got one then shame on your employer. And as someone above said check with council. Its quite a lengthy process which costs a bit of money and you are still not always granted permission. Dont forget insurance, including public liability if u do get permission from council.

Should I tell my boss that I am going to start working from home in my free days which is 4 days a week
Definitely no. It's your time and it's not someone's business how you spend it. If you like to do your job at home, so c'mon.

If there’s no cross over of clients, then I don’t see a problem.

You’ll always have a fear of your boss finding out if you don’t tell them, why not just be up front about it from the start. I do mobile work in addition to my 3 days in a salon (and I work in the same area!). Having worked somewhere where I was terrified of my part time boss finding out (whether that fear was justified, I don’t know, but sometimes you just know, you know) I would much rather now be totally transparent and have peace of mind.

Just my two pennies.

Definitely no. It's your time and it's not someone's business how you spend it. If you like to do your job at home, so c'mon.
She would need to check her contract as she could be in breech. At my last job it stated you could not have a second job without consent of your manager, particularly within the same industry as it is conflict of interest.

You can’t be expected to survive financially working just 2 days a week so if your boss is unwilling to increase your hours then go for it.

Latest posts

Back