Working from home with poorly children?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam.T

Reaction score
As a mum of one and working from home what do you all do when your child is poorly and have clients booked in all week? My little girl has become poorly overnight and I start my busy Christmas week this week I've had a few cancellations as it is. So what do you all do when your in this situation??

When mine were younger I'd either get my mum or a friend to help out or I'd have to reschedule clients so my husband could look after the child which sometimes meant working until 11pm. Thankfully it didn't happen often. Hope she's better soon.

Luckily my husband does shifts so he doesn't start until 2pm but do I risk them coming into my house in case they catch it? I'm so stuck I have no idea what to do I only started out this year and this is my first Christmas

If I was a client I'd want to be told so that I had the option of not attending. I know that sounds harsh but I value minimising risk of catching things.

Is there any way that you could offer to go to the client's homes instead?

It would depend on the age of the child and what the illness was.
Kids bounce back really quickly so I wouldn't adjust any bookings more than 24 hrs away.

My 3 kids were all unwell last week and off school at different times. Mine are older so were upstairs in bed while I was working.
I didn't notify my clients beforehand due to the nature of the illness and the fact that they're just as likely to catch a cold etc from anywhere else.

How contagious is the illness? Just keep the child away from the clients (I would have thought this happens anyway in home salons?)

Depending on the illness I probably wouldn't make a point of telling them beforehand. In cases of bad sickness bugs then yes, I would but otherwise, no. There's plenty of bugs whilst walking in the streets unless they're breathing face to face it's highly unlikely the bug would be that contagious.

Let's be fair, clients only tell us they're full of cold when they're sat within 10 inches of us having nails done :o

I have been full of cold all week and carried on working whilst I would've loved to have been tucked up in bed, I think clients would think I'm unreliable if I cancelled over mine or my son's sniffles... unless your child is going to need more attention than normal cleaning up sick etc I would imagine most people would be fine with it.

Depends on age of child/children and how much they need you. And on type of illness.

With Chickenpox or other notifiable diseases you should reschedule as potentially could have far reaching consequences if contracted

Depending on the illness I probably wouldn't make a point of telling them beforehand. In cases of bad sickness bugs then yes, I would but otherwise, no. There's plenty of bugs whilst walking in the streets unless they're breathing face to face it's highly unlikely the bug would be that contagious.

Let's be fair, clients only tell us they're full of cold when they're sat within 10 inches of us having nails done :o

I have been full of cold all week and carried on working whilst I would've loved to have been tucked up in bed, I think clients would think I'm unreliable if I cancelled over mine or my son's sniffles... unless your child is going to need more attention than normal cleaning up sick etc I would imagine most people would be fine with it.
Gotta love it when they tell you during their appointment! I had two people come in with throat infections (strep throat) last week and a few with colds. Now I'm all stuffed up for the holidays. Oh the joys!

Latest posts

Back