Working from home with the kids in the house?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca19

Reaction score
The only thing that stops me working is childcare. I have no friends and family around me and I have 2 children (aged 4 and 7). They both go to school so I have all day free to work. I’m hoping to start up doing mobile hair extensions but what really worries me is school holidays! My partner works Monday to Friday and doesn’t get home until after 5 depending on where he’s working. I’m panicking in case I book someone in at say 1 o clock and by 3 when I’ve got to pick the kids up I’m still working. I’d have to leave as I don’t have anyone else to pick them up! I wouldn’t mind hiring a childminder in the 6 weeks holidays but I would have to book them in advance and I don’t know when I’d have appointments. I’m thinking of working mobile while the kids are at school and only booking appointments in the morning to make sure I’m finished and then offering some evening appointments when my partner gets home. For the school holidays I was thinking of just working from home but would it put people off if my children were here? They are really well behaved and would be quiet and occupy themselves but they are both boys and partial to an argument every now and then! I’d be so embarrassed if they started fighting in front of a client! [emoji85] what do you think my best option would be? Sorry for the really long post!!

I feel you you. I know how hard and stressful it is trying to build yourself up AND do what's best for the family.
I can only tell you what I do.
I work from home. When my daughter isn't in nursery, I book people in evening slots. As late as 7pm and quite often don't finish till 10pm. In the day I prepare a 1 pot style tea so hubby can feed himself as he would then be looking after daughter. Although it's a pain in the arse working so late you have to tell yourself school holidays aren't forever!
I have tried working with daughter in the house and it's a big fat fail! Far too stressful and unprofessional. Your boys might be fine though so maybe test it out with just a few of your best most friendly clients and save the others for the evening.
Hope it all works out for you.

Latest posts

Back