Working From Home Woes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JackieMc said:
I use a table I bought from Argos (or perhaps Index). It's just the right width, narrower than a normal table, has three drawers and three shelves - only cost around £30. And it doesn't take much room, so is ideal.

Jackie :D

I have the same desk, bought it in white and completely covered it in black marble effect sticky backed plastic. A misspent youth watching Blue Peter :D

Hiya,

I've got that desk too :D , it cost me £27.99 from Argos and it works a treat :D . My home 'salon' is in the one end of our conservatory. It can get rather hot in there but I only really do nails in the evening as I don't have enough clients to give up my admin day job for the local Sports mail order company.

Hi Tamm,

Lots of good ideas for you there ..... but don't worry too much. The truest comment by ... can't remember .... was that it's the quality of your work that REALLY matters.

You mentioned a little kithen table and stools ?? ... I do nearly all of my home work on one like that, and when I do mobile jobs I can end up doing work on almost anything :) If you have some cash and no space at all then Beauty Express and others do a techs mobile salon-type table for around £100 ..... but available MUCH cheaper second-hand (often on ebay) ....... ideal to work on and folds away into any tiny space.

Just a thought. Best of luck to you. Early days for me too but they ALL started somewhere and look at some of them now :) Stick with it.

Dee from Somerset xx

cmynails said:
someone who answered an advert in a local mag and I was soooooo nervous - but it went well and after she left, I had this horrible sinking feeling - she doesn't like me - she doesn't like the nails - God I did something terrible etc etc etc -

How wonderful to see we ALL have the same worries and fears !!!

Dee xx :D

Wow! :shock: I wasn't able to check the board yesterday and when I do there are loads of messages for me!
What can I say but thanks :) You've all really given me loads of ideas and I've just got to decide which way to go with them all now!
My get-up-and-go had got up and gone! I was really feeling dejected because of the size of my flat thinking that it was going to be an impossibility to run a business from it :( But now :) :) you've made me see that with just a little imagination and careful thought I can set up something to suit my situation no matter how humble or make do it is for the time being.

I'm going to look into the picnic table idea from woolies, also the Argos desk and the Argos kitchen table with highish stools, definately E-bay and I loooooove the ironing board idea! Absolutely brillian!!

Thanks again guys you've been a great help :p

My husband was joking the other day saying that he hopes there is no shelf life for these products because due to lack of customers, it looks like we're going to be stuck with them!! I live in a really pretty lane on the outskirts of Wolverhampton and I really don't know why I haven't spread the word more round my neighbours but I think it's because I'm so new, I'm frightened of someone complaining about the way I do things!!!

lol :D I have this problem too! I'm stalling convincing myself that I'm not quite ready to start as I've got this to sort out first or that to sort out first regarding my products, leaflets etc!!! Its really funny really but I do know how you feel. I'm scared too of clients that I don't know :shock: and I'm always concerned of them going away not very pleased with my work! I also am worried about the lack of clients. I'm afraid to start advertising incase I'm disapointed :? Bit daft really but I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

Tamm

Well Tamm,
I suppose we have to take the bull by the horns, have confidence and DO IT!! The clients will love us as long as we take the time to do a good job.
Go for it girl :sunny:

hi ya tamm i have the same problem! when i have sorted this when i have sorted that lol sometimes im sacared to awnser the phone :D
i think im just quiet happy sitting here practising leave me alone :D
good job my hubbie is so laid back 8)
yep sue poor old ed will be getting him on the cause with the shed any day now unbeknown to him the poor sod lol
nickki jonesx

hi all

i have been working from home but have decided to go for it with a shop

there are advantages and disadvantages from working from home

you must becarefull you dont work all hours like i ended up doing
as i didnt want to turn the cash away

like last night i ended up working till 8.30

my partner doesnt like me working from home anymore

as he feels the house isnt our own as i have strangers coming to and fro
up and down my stairs

plus you have to be on top of your housework 24-7

not saying i dont do housework lol just like to chill sometimes

ive had pps knock my door in the past too which i didnt like

but at times i have enjoyed it as i have been able to get my jobs done inbetween clients which is great !

so im not knocking anyone im just saying becarefull when it comes to working from home that you dont end up working all hours

hope you dont mind me putting my ore in LOL

:D

hi all you home workers... i too am lucky enough to have a dedicated room for nails... hubby converted half our double garage - attached to the kitchen - into a playroom for the girls but i cold heartdly nicked it as it was perfect for me... we had to insulate it as it was too hot in summer and too cold in winter.
i am in a little village a mile or so from a town and i have been set up about a year and i am still yet to get regular clientelle.. had a bad week this week thinking i must be rubbish blah blah... but you have to keep going....
i think the little bar stool set up sounds ideal.... i had one in my kitchen it had white tiles on and shelves under...i think that would be perfect or one that you could tuck the stools under. try homebase b & q etc DO NOT GO TO MFI... just had very very bad/costly experience with them over a very expensive kitchen.........
good luck

did you get sorted with the furniture?

salon supplies of crewe have a neat little compact thing, with one stool, storage under the stool and a small desk thingy attached. not the best description!! it's £95. might be on the website, www.salonlines.com.
the number to call for copy of catalogue is 01270 522555.

good luck!

Thanks Lauren for the link. Had a look and its the same as one I've seen in Beauty express but £30 cheaper!!! Am thinking about getting it but we had our car die on us yesterday and its been given the last rites and put to rest. :( Now I've got to wait even longer for my precious table as we've got to get a new car :evil: :evil:

I suppose we have to take the bull by the horns, have confidence and DO IT!! The clients will love us as long as we take the time to do a good job.
Go for it girl

thanks :D Lack of confidence has got a lot to answer for :evil: makes you think your are nothing when you could be capable of sooooo much. This is why this board is so good. It irons out any concerns and gives loads of incouragement.!! Hope your venture becomes what you want it to, too ;) :thumbsup:

Tamm

I am in the process of finding room for a salon in my house at the mo. I won`t leave the shop for a while but if I open up at home I can offer beauty as well as nails. My family are suffering cos of i though as I have taken away their dining room, lol, we now have to eat on our laps. Small sacrifice me thinks. It looks great though and thats what counts, after all its my house.. and they will EVENTUALLY move out won`t they....then I can loads of beauty rooms, what a thought!
As for small tables, I went a bought the perfect table from Camping & General for only £15 which I use for mobile clients, its the perfect size and its more comfortable than some dining tables and the like that clients have you use.
Enough waffling......just a bit of useless info I wanted to pass on

Sawadee ka

I look many what lady say i no understand many maybe we think future not same same when lady buy some thing for salon only 1 time i buy chair for salon man hair cut pay 4000 baht now i have many year future .

Hayley you not come work Thailand have my shop open 10 close 11 and soon i close shop 12 and many salon open 9 close 2 morn ,

If can have customer and them want and happy and you want money for work no problem work many hour.my country mai pen rai

Kop khun ka mui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back