Working from home!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMitchell

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

I will be a qualified nail technician in July and I have a spare room at my house so I am looking at converting this room into my business and working from home doing nails and gradually building up my client base!

I would love some advice if anyone could give me some help!!

Thank you

x

contact hmrc as soon as you start advertising,

advertise everywhere that is free, yell.com,gumtree.vivastreet etc, get some leaflets done and do a local drop in your area maybe even target schools, groups,hotels,golf clubs,

make sure your nails are always immaculate, good advertisement,

dont price yourself down to competitors, you want to attract the right sort of client from the beginning and give a really good treatment, try and give something extra that doesnt cost, i always do a quick hand massage at end of every set of nails,

wear a uniform, it shows you are professional,

keep receipts and records of everything as you go along xx hth

I have registered with the HMRC already I'm a little bit ahead!! Do you work from home? Because I have been looking for a nail table, I want it to look professional as you said!! I love your website its really good!

Thank you so much for the tips as well its always good to get advice from others!

Thank you

xx

yes i have a home salon and thanks x

there is a link on here by lynne about promoting your business if you do a search, i warn you tho it is pages and pages long, you will need to take notes lol

i have found my website invaluable to getting me clients and then once they start coming its word of mouth!

good luck xx

Inform your local planning dept.
Inform your mortgage provider.
Inform you house insurance provider.
Get yourself a facebook page to keep in touch with clients, luring them with your services, what's new etc.

I'd definitely get a website as, apart from word of mouth, that is where I get most of my new clients from.

Also, remember to set yourself some limits. When I first started out I remember fitting clients in at really strange times as I was so desperate for my business to work. However, it has got to fit in around your life too. Funnily enough, as soon as I stopped agreeing to those 9pm appointments the client nearly always agreed that, actually, they could come earlier.

Another thing i'd say is don't over stock your products. Most products have a shelf life so at the start, when you may only be doing a few clients, there's no point in buying litres of a product just because it's cheaper that way.

Finally, work out the costing of each treatment you do down to the last cotton wool pad. That'll stop you pricing yourself too cheaply and working for very little profit.

Hope you enjoy working from home as much as I do. Good luck x

Hi

Ive just had a chat with my husband and hes happy for my to use our spare bedroom if my appointments go well etc (Im literally just starting out so wont know yet)

Sorry to jump on your Thread but can I ask these free websites can I use the domain name Ive purchased? Ive got clairesbeautybox.co.uk and the .com and obv want to use the .co.uk

xx

Thank you everyone theres some really useful advice there!! Also do all your clients pay by cash? Because I have heard some people getting card machines?!

So excited cant wait to finally get started soon!!

xx

Thank you everyone theres some really useful advice there!! Also do all your clients pay by cash? Because I have heard some people getting card machines?!

So excited cant wait to finally get started soon!!

xx

Hi again

I will be working in cash only to begin with anyway which I dont think will be a problem as long as I make my customers aware for before the appointment!

I want to clear out the spar room now but I think my husband has other ideas! LOL

xx

Hi

Ive just had a chat with my husband and hes happy for my to use our spare bedroom if my appointments go well etc (Im literally just starting out so wont know yet)

Sorry to jump on your Thread but can I ask these free websites can I use the domain name Ive purchased? Ive got clairesbeautybox.co.uk and the .com and obv want to use the .co.uk

xx
yes you can use the domain you purchased on free websites, my site is with wix but got my domain from namesco xx

I mainly take cash or cheques. A few regular clients also pay via BACS transfer though I only offer that with people who've been coming for a while. I also have the option to pay via paypal on my website so if people wish to pay with a card then they have that option before they come for their appointment. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back