Working from home?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautybumblebee

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am in the fifth month of my home beauty business, i converted one of the spare rooms into a lovely salon.
For anyone else who has a home salon, how long did it take for you to be busy with bookings with good frequent advertisement?
have you found people have been put off by the fact you work from home?

thanks for any help.

For me advertising didn't work, nor did leaflets with 1 response in 1800 leaflets delivered. Still, I needed the exercise [emoji3]

Recommendation all the way. And it's free. Although people are often keener to refer if you give them say £5 off each time they send you someone ... (Payable only after they've been obv, not just because they've booked).

I broke even in 8 months (nails only). But I had 2 littlies so did not give it everything as I didn't want to work loads.

For sure, there are people who prefer a salon, but lots prefer the relaxed environment of coming to my home. I've been going 12 years and some clients have been with me from the start.

Personally my beauty therapist where I go and who I recommend has the same set up as you, so does my usual chiropractor and my sports massage therapist.

There are so many benefits as you will know. Hope it's going ok. X

For me advertising didn't work, nor did leaflets with 1 response in 1800 leaflets delivered. Still, I needed the exercise
emoji3.png

Recommendation all the way. And it's free. Although people are often keener to refer if you give them say £5 off each time they send you someone ... (Payable only after they've been obv, not just because they've booked).

I broke even in 8 months (nails only). But I had 2 littlies so did not give it everything as I didn't want to work loads.

For sure, there are people who prefer a salon, but lots prefer the relaxed environment of coming to my home. I've been going 12 years and some clients have been with me from the start.

Personally my beauty therapist where I go and who I recommend has the same set up as you, so does my usual chiropractor and my sports massage therapist.

There are so many benefits as you will know. Hope it's going ok. X

thanks for your reply, i love working for my self and having that freedom and flexibility but i am finding it hard to make ends meet and getting customers. advertising is hard when you work from home and you don't have have foot flow that highstreet salons have.
i hope it will get better and better though and i can expand outside of my home.

:)

I work from home, i was mobile at first and was worried this would put off clients. It did a few that I no longer hear from however I am more busy at home than i was mobile, and I can fit in more appointments :)

My clients are mainly mums and they always say how they love coming to me as it is an excuse to not take the kids as it is my home (even though I am fine with clients bringing children), they like coming to me for a few moments peace and relaxation!

I find word of mouth and referrals the best advertisement, I also advertise on social media and facebook is my main money maker! It has taken me 1 year to get where I am today, I have bookings every day and have to turn people away as every week is packed solid! I only work evenings and weekends and I pay all of my bills with my beauty business income leaving my full time job income for savings! Just makes sure you offer the best service to all clients and soon word will get around! They will tell their friends and family and work colleagues!

I've been working from home full time for 2.5 years, I found I gained a lot of business with loyalty cards that I ordered from Vistaprint. The template is already set up and i did £5 off after 5 visits, I found that my clients told their friends about the loyalty scheme so picked up referrals that way. After 6 months I stopped doing it and my clients kept coming !

Can anyone advise the perfect/ideal size for a beauty room? I'm doing lashes brows, nails and hair extensions so need room for all but was kind of hoping to have all three things in one room. What size would work ideally?

Hi Beautybumblebee,

Let me see if i have got this right. You want to work from home and have your clients coming in. If this is the case then you should consider having" visiting cards" and do online marketing using a website. Online marketing can definitely help focus on a particular geography and help you market where and when it is needed. You will also have customers pouring in.
Hope this helps!

Regards,
Dilna

Last edited:
I work from a home salon.
Was doing evenings & weekends initially then stopped my full time job last year June.
My client base has increased and I'm looking into adding more services now.
The clients are all word of mouth.

Hi 411,
Wow! What services do you offer at present?

Hi Dilna

I offer all nail services, including CND Shellac, acrylics, classic & luxury manicures.

So are you planning to offer hair and body services as well?
I ask this because you state that you were looking to add more services.

Yes I was looking at offering threading, waxing & massage.
But the figures don't add up in my favour.

You are running a nail salon i believe, so in that case if you are planning to expand, hire a facial expert and include facials as well or a hair stylist for a hair treatment and styling.

How much are you ready to invest on expansion? This is also a key to determine which direction you can move.

Yes it's a home based nail salon. I don't want to hire any staff neither do I want a high at salon.
That's why after doing the figures, and looking at pros & cons it's better for me to go back to work. I will still keep doing nails as its my passion.

Keep your chin up. If you ever need a website or want any software at affordable rates in future to run your salon, don't hesitate to mail me. It is [email protected]

You are always welcome :)!

Latest posts

Back