Working from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophie Broadway

Reaction score
I’m starting off in the lash business! However I’m waiting for the warm weather to start construction on my summer house where I will provide my service from. For now I’m hoping to do it from my home, my living room if possible. It’s large enough for a bed and is very contemporary and calming. Do you think clients will mind this?

We to are starting a home based Holistic Therapies Business from Home, but we have 3 separate treatment rooms available to us. Our Summerhouse, A spare Bedroom (which is now not a bedroom) and a custom built room in a garage conversion.

All of our treatment rooms are treatment rooms and nothing else. We can interchange between treatment rooms if needed but no room is used as part of the house. I once went for a massage at someone house and it was done in the lounge with the tv and sofas and play toys all over the place and to be honest... it was terrible. I could not relax and chill for my massage cos of the space....

I know form experience that it can be hard for new starters to do this but hand on heart..... Get you summerhouse up asap even if it is cold outside... It will pay off own the long run.
Gary

Hi Sophie
I really don't think your clients will mind as they will be led into a beautiful lounge that I am sure will be calm and tidy. You could always have a screen if needs be to portion your space off so that your living room feels more slaon like. Anyway, It is only for a short while.
It is surprising how accommodating nice clients will be and they can get the latest updates on the new space as it is being built.
Go ahead and start , the sooner the better.
My hubbie and son constructed a massive log cabin garage during last winter , it was delivered at the moment we had a lot of snow so it did get put up in the rubbish weather and all was well with the end result.
My best wishes to you in your new venture

As you said you're starting out in the lash business I'm assuming you've only recently trained? If this is the case you will no doubt be wanting to get lots of practice on friends and family to perfect your technique before offering lashes to full paying clients. In which case I'm sure your living room will be fine for this, but I would recommend that you wait until your summer house is ready before advertising to the general public so you can start your business properly as you mean to go on. I think this will be more appealing to a lot of clients and it will give you a more professional image if you have a designated area rather than being in your main family living area (even if it is lovely!)

Agree with Beautiful-you above.
Have you checked out your position on planning permission from your local council?

I’m starting off in the lash business! However I’m waiting for the warm weather to start construction on my summer house where I will provide my service from. For now I’m hoping to do it from my home, my living room if possible. It’s large enough for a bed and is very contemporary and calming. Do you think clients will mind this?

I’ve always worked from my lounge. You need to dress it up a bit. When I started I had barely two pennies to rub together but got a nice tablecloth to hide things and a couple of simple accessories. It is laughable when I look back but clients choose you for you not your space.

These days I have a large open plan so I sectioned off half of the lounge area. It’s about the size of a small double bedroom. Some clients don’t even realise I live here as they only see the beauty area and they are always amazed how clean it is. Most important thing is the smell. As you live in the house, you cook in your house, air out all your rooms every morning nice and early, room spray and then candles/aroma diffuser on. Like my husband knows that he isn’t to cook eggs in the morning or cook a ham unless it’s a Saturday as you can really smell it when you walk in the front door. We also don’t cook anything except after 8pm. Small price to pay :)

I’ve been to a beauticians Home and she only had a couch in the middle of her lounge..no blanket, no candles, tv visible..I just thought why doesn’t she put some effort in. I hide my tv if I need more space but it’s on the other side of my sectioned off area. I went elsewhere and the woman had an amazing room but she led me there through her kitchen, it was SO messy that it put me off. Like if she can’t wash up for a week do I trust her to wash her hands haha. Everyone is different and expectations are different. By there will always be someone that wants what you can provide. :)

Thank you for your help[emoji4] For now I’ve set up my couch in the middle with a blanket towels and candles lit around the room, I also play a calming playlist in the background. I explain to everyone that enquires the situation until my summer house is finished and they’re fine with it[emoji4]x

I live in a small apartment so I have no choice but to use my living room, however I make sure when I have client's that the space I'm using is spotless, all items such as my baby's toys, clothing rack for drying my clothes, Hoover etc are removed and out of sight. I cover the TV with a large crushed velvet sheet that matches my colour scheme. All around the room are candles, salt lamps, incense and crystals etc and I'm really lucky to have a gorgeous view from the windows which adds to the relaxing atmosphere. If you make the effort and think about how you would feel yourself if you went into that room for a treatment then I don't think it matters. First impressions are the most important in my opinion so think about whats the first thing they will see, hear and smell when they walk into the room. I'm a massage therapist so my clients have their eyes closed for most of the time.

Latest posts

Back