Working from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annia Modlinsky

bicilover
Reaction score
Hello, I am wondering if anybody here does nail work at home. I have been really busy doing a degree full time whilst carrying on with my small nail business from home, only a couple of days during the week. Like most of us, my work had to stop due to COVID-19 and I would like to start working again after the 4th July. However, I feel a little bit confused as how to proceed with this. Since I don’t own a salon, customers have to come to my house. I have found some guidelines on The Professional Beauty website based on advice to work under COVID-19 for beauty salons and hairdressers but I still feel confused on how these guidelines will be appropriate for me. I have also tried to ring InEvexco (who I use for my Public Liability insurance) for advice. I left a message and I am awaiting for a response.

Is anybody else in the same situation? If so, and you are considering to start work, I would like to read your views on this topic and your recommendations for a situation like mine.

Thank you in advance.

Hi, I am in the same situation as you. I also work from home and found your post when looking for advice myself. I am trying to stock up on extra tools for manicures and pedicures to allow for sanitising and sterilising in between clients. That’s my other issue trying to decide what sterilisers would be suitable and affordable. whether UV is enough or glass bead, still puzzling over that. If we get the go ahead for the 4th July I am planning on reducing the appointments I take to allow plenty of time to clean between clients. I may have to look at increasing prices but I am worried it will put clients off. I will stock up on masks, gloves and plastic aprons which will need to be disposed of between clients. Also hard surface cleaners and sterilising products such as Barbicide or Munro. I am a member of the FHT and there are some guidelines in the members area. I keep checking in there for any changes. It’s a worrying time for us all.

Hello Lilythepink. Thank you for your reply. This is definitely worrying for many of us. I am thinking the same as you in terms of the use of PPE. I use MUNDO at the moment for disinfection and I think this is very effective on surfaces too. I have not got a UV steriliser as I believe they don’t provide effective sterilisation. I also use Barbicide for desinfection however sterilisation is only achieved at temperatures higher than 121 degrees which is generally achieved with an autoclave or similar device. These can be expensive and not cheap to run plus some can be very big in size. What I do is to be very careful when I am clearing sulcus around the nail plate, not to cause any trauma around the nail so my instruments don’t get contaminated with blood and they can be effectively disinfected with Barbicide or MUNDO.

I was also thinking to increase prices to cover up for the cost of PPE and time to clean up. I have recently bought 2 bottles of Dettol from Costco to sterilise door handles and toilet seat when they visit. It is a lot to mess around with but I guess it would be the safest thing to do for all of us. I have already discussed this with my clients to justify the extra cost of PPE and time although I haven’t decided how much. I need to sit down and think properly about this. Like you said, this could be equally scary for them especially knowing how difficult work has been for many of us.

On another note, I have spoken to a member of Professional Beauty over the phone a few minutes ago. She said that the government has not issued yet specific guidelines for the beauty industry, even when they do come out with some sort we just all need to do what we think it is safest to do.

I have already thought of creating my own guidelines following those from beauty bodies and government such as not taking cash. Instead, customers can pay money directly into my bank account (money transfer), not bringing handbags. There is no need to bring a full luggage of make-up. They only need to bring their mobile phone with them. In regard to social distancing which may decrease from 2m to 1m, I am still wondering how this will apply to nail technicians when there is less than 1m proximity whilst doing nails. Would a shield screen be a solution?

I think until we get some Government Guidance all we can do is second guess what might happen. I also work from home and at the moment my thoughts are until other people are allowed into our homes then accepting clients is against lock down rules, and I'm not comfortable with that. If my own grown children and my grandson are not allowed inside my home, then clients are certainly not going to be. I do a range of treatments holistic and beauty and I'm not sure what, if any, treatments I'm going to be comfortable with doing initially. It is going to impossible to socially distance even at 1 m let alone 2. I've stocked up on masks, gloves and face shields for myself and when I eventually re-open I will insist that all clients wear a face mask. However, this will bring its own problems as facials etc. cannot be carried out whilst the client wears a mask. Its a real mix of feelings at the moment, I'm sure for all of us.

Yes I completely agree with you ReVivebeauty. I have said to my clients that I am waiting to see what the decision of the government will be in this matter for the beauty industry. I have explained to them that even though I am looking into restarting it wont be anytime soon. They all understand that this is the best for the safety of all of us especially when coming to my home.

Ive always been mobile but now i know i wont be comfortable with going into peoples houses and not comfortable with anyone coming into my house. So i thought about setting up in the garden with a nice summerhouse and working from there. Ive got an idea of how i will be able to get electric and hot water into it. However my only concern is that there will be no toilet facilities as that would mean they would have to go into the house. what do you guys think? it just so confusing. Ive already heard about mobile people going back to work on the 4th of july which surely cannot be right??

Ive always been mobile but now i know i wont be comfortable with going into peoples houses and not comfortable with anyone coming into my house. So i thought about setting up in the garden with a nice summerhouse and working from there. Ive got an idea of how i will be able to get electric and hot water into it. However my only concern is that there will be no toilet facilities as that would mean they would have to go into the house. what do you guys think? it just so confusing. Ive already heard about mobile people going back to work on the 4th of july which surely cannot be right??
I’m mobile & can’t see mobile therapists being allowed to go into peoples homes for some time but you never know. I won’t be comfortable with it if they can’t even have family in their home, but if we’re told we can go ahead I feel like I will have to otherwise i’m going to lose a lot of my clients!
I’m not sure if the same would apply for home salons unless they have separate entrance or a garden set up.
Everyone is still so much in the dark.

Im currently looking for a shed to put in my garden that i can work from. Just trying to add up what ill need for it and what the rules and regs are.

Hi all,

I'm in the same situation but the other way around - I own a small salon but am unsure whether to reopen or whether to convert the spare bedroom in my house to a treatment room and work from home instead. I'm weighing up the pros and cons and getting so much mixed advice from friends and family (not in the trade). I feel that with myself and 4 members of staff, our salon will be too tight for social distancing with clients and that perhaps working from home with one in/one out is slightly "safer"?
Like yourselves, have also realised that if I reopen I will have to increase my prices to account for the extra time taken for clients to leave and enter without having to wait around in reception and the extra cleaning time between clients. And, of course, PPE costs.
I'm worried that if i hang around too long after the 4th July (if that becomes our date for the go ahead) to open, then my clients may choose to go elsewhere so there's pressure to act quickly!

So, in essence, I don't have anything helpful to add, I'm just as confused as everyone else! :p

Thank you for all your comments. I know now that I am not on my own. I wish I could have a garden as it sounds like an great idea. I am really looking forward to get back to work now. I am really missing the interaction with my clients and the money for being honest. I wish you all good luck and hope we can get back to normality as soon as possible whenever this will be.

Ravair Ltd, Have just launched the SHC Sanitiser/Cleaner Bottle, see their website for details. Fully Proven, 50,000 sold in Australia last week, Full CE Certification and Microbiological Lab Reports. Add half a teaspoon of household salt to 350ml of water in the bottle and turn on, 10mins later it will turn itself off and the mild electric currents passing through the salt and water by electrolysis causes the molecules to reform into two powerful oxidants, one a sanitizer and the other a cleaner/de-greaser. (just google salt and water sanitizer) It is advertised on freeview channel 32 every weekend morning from the USA. You can make and decant as many bottles as you want and NEVER buy another sanitizer/cleaning liquid ever again!!
No quibble 30 day money back guarantee. "Better than C.....t Bang with out the smell that hurts my eyes"

I’m mobile & can’t see mobile therapists being allowed to go into peoples homes for some time but you never know. I won’t be comfortable with it if they can’t even have family in their home, but if we’re told we can go ahead I feel like I will have to otherwise i’m going to lose a lot of my clients!
I’m not sure if the same would apply for home salons unless they have separate entrance or a garden set up.
Everyone is still so much in the dark.

Hi
I’m looking to go mobile and need a big colour order but have no idea where to order? Any ideas? Many thanks x

Hi
I’m looking to go mobile and need a big colour order but have no idea where to order? Any ideas? Many thanks x
Hi. I’m not a hairdresser but maybe somewhere like salon services?

Hi
Alan Howard sells a nice collection of Esssie and OPI colours. If you have registered or completed a course with CND, you can also purchase their range of colours. CND selection of colours are beautiful. Hope it helps and good luck.

I’ve ordered from there before but can be pretty pricey xx
Thanks xx
I don’t know if Ellisons sell colours, or capital maybe? X

Hi all,

I'm in the same situation but the other way around - I own a small salon but am unsure whether to reopen or whether to convert the spare bedroom in my house to a treatment room and work from home instead. I'm weighing up the pros and cons and getting so much mixed advice from friends and family (not in the trade). I feel that with myself and 4 members of staff, our salon will be too tight for social distancing with clients and that perhaps working from home with one in/one out is slightly "safer"?
Like yourselves, have also realised that if I reopen I will have to increase my prices to account for the extra time taken for clients to leave and enter without having to wait around in reception and the extra cleaning time between clients. And, of course, PPE costs.
I'm worried that if i hang around too long after the 4th July (if that becomes our date for the go ahead) to open, then my clients may choose to go elsewhere so there's pressure to act quickly!

So, in essence, I don't have anything helpful to add, I'm just as confused as everyone else! :p
Hi
To everyone that has talked about working from home. Please check your home insurance first and make sure u are covered. You'd be surprised to find a lot of insurer won't cover you. With this Covid crazy times it's all so confusing already but if you have premises it may be easier to hold onto those and work within the guidelines. I know a lot of people who work from home and just take the chance but I personally wouldn't do it

Latest posts

Back