Working from home.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmabeauty88

Reaction score
I want to set up a room at home as I have just lost my salon job. My mortgage company said I cant. Are there any loopholes around this? Thanks

Not unless you want to get your mortgage elsewhere and to be honest, that's a terrible idea in the current mortgage market as you'll probably end up on a higher deal (I'm guessing).

Not even worth considering going against them or it could have huge implications.

Not unless you want to get your mortgage elsewhere and to be honest, that's a terrible idea in the current mortgage market as you'll probably end up on a higher deal (I'm guessing).

Not even worth considering going against them or it could have huge implications.
Sorry it's not related to the above post, but I see your name on here regularly. Could you advise me please? I'm struggling with the site layout and can't seem to find the answer I need anywhere.
I want to post a new post. Just a tip for lash tint I've found helpful. But it won't let me post it without putting in recipients. I just want to post it as a general beauty post. Any tips please. I have posted once before and don't remember facing this issue. Thanks in advance

Just go mobile

Last edited:

Thanks. The problem is i have been made redundant so dont think anywhere would change me as its in my name only. If there are no loopholes I am 100% not taking the risk ☹

I’ve been working from home .
I was told to have your room a dual bedroom .. meaning get a bed sofa use the room during the day hairdressing and a bedroom at night.
Ohhhh thanks. Did your mortgage provider say no?

Ohhhh thanks. Did your mortgage provider say no?
Didn’t know I had to tell them to be honest.. what I said was the loophole as far as I know🙈

Your residential mortgage provider or residential mortgage product does not cater for properties that are used for business purposes.

Having customers visit you at home could create a risk of break-in and theft or vandalism and there are local Council regulations to do with using a residence for business purposes.

In practise how are they going to find out? If there are only a few visitors and they are your “friends” and your neighbours don’t complain about parking problems or other nuisances and you don’t put your business waste in your private residence collection then it’s unlikely anything negative will happen. You should change your home insurance to a policy that accepts working from home because any claim - even if it has nothing to do with your work - can be declined if you don’t have a wfh policy,

I’d look around for somewhere local where you can set up, even if you just rent a room one day a week. Then I’d take clients that couldn’t come on that day at home, I’d gradually fill up my day in my rented space and build my business from there, adding extra days and quietly reducing the WFH stuff.

It’s risky and worst case if your mortgage provider finds out, they can ask you to remortgage and you’ll find it difficult if you’ve just turned self employed. So you need to weigh up the pros and cons. Ideally you need to be self employed for 3 years with 3 years accounts before you remortgage. Your first year might not be great so you might need a 4 year to remortgage plan.

There are lots of things to consider when you go self employed. It’s not all dollar signs.

Latest posts

Back