Working from Home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellyc

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just curious to know how many people work from home but upstairs i.e small spare room etc only i originally had a table etc downstairs but have sinced converted our spare room into my lil nail room just wondered if anyone has done the same and how it affects them, again if it is inconvenient due to having to go up the stairs etc or it doesnt matter? thanks in advance

I work from home and salon, the only problem with home is always doing house work! its more relaxing at home i think but i love the salon too....:rolleyes: its all good..lol

I dont think clients would be put off by a few stairs - after all i have to go upstairs to my dentist and believe me i'd rather be coming to see you ;).

If i work from home (sometimes people prefer to come to me rather than me go to them) then i set up each time in the lounge which is a pain in the backside. I just dont have the room to set up completely so enjoy the fact that you've got a room especially for you and dont worry about the size - in this instance size doesnt matter! :D

I am about to set up a little room in my house for nails but I dont have to worry about anyone else, and like Carole wrote - whats a few stairs...

I have my desk and shelves for my retail items, framed certificates and mags etc. lamp, stool and chair and thats it..

I work from home mostly and use what was the spare room upstairs - some people are a bit wary at first, but I've had loads of lovely comments about my 'salon' :green:

Mostly they say things like......'it doesn't feel like they are intruding in my home'.......and........'once you are in the room you could be in a shop as it doesn't feel like a converted bedroom'..........I take those comments as huge compliments because that's what I was aiming for!!

In fact 2 of my clients prefer to come to me now they've been, at first I used to go to them - but once they saw my room they loved it :cool:

I do tend to guide them immediately up the stairs and not hang around in the lounge etc.

Have to say i am mobile and sometimes seem to have acouple that come to me and a couple that i go to them. I am just thinking about converting my front bedroom which is spareinto a permanant work space as it a pain in the backside having to set up in the lounge all the time. Plus it means i have to work it around my hubby's shifts otherwise i can feel like i'm getting in his way.

Plus i can also install a ventilation system as have an outside wall to go through so its good in that sense too.

Oh good, glad for your feedback i have set my room up its pretty basic at the mo with my desk and my cerrtificates on the wall will be putting my shelfs up this week and just need some pictures cant think what else i need to make it more welcoming though, but just wanted to know your thoughts on the upstairs thing x

Hi Kelly

Cant help with the stairs question but i too have converted a room in my house into a salon

As my partner works away during the week and we dont really use the room its ideal, come christmas i will have to pack my things away though ! but worth it definatley to have your own space

I have a table for my retail items, creative posters on the walls together with my certificates and examples of nail art, mosaic & metro, flowers and airbrushing designs. Oh and a clock on the wall behind the client !! very handy

I have a desk where i work and i have also had an extractor fan put in the wall, through to outside

I have a couple of trolleys with my pedicure items and paraffin wax etc on so that i can comfortably wheel these round to the client and have everything to hand to work with when not working at my desk

I also will be changing my posters around as i have some spares so that my room changes and catches peoples eyes when the return. I'll also be changing my retail items around too so people do not become complacent where certain items are and if i move them other items may start to catch their eyes ??!!! here's hoping anyway ! Thing is here i am gonna do this and when Tesco's change their aisles around its so annoying i cant find anything !! lol not that my room is anywhere near that scale and hopefully wont annoy but please people !

All comments have been really positive and people really love the experience of coming (so they tell me !)

Just a few simple things can make a room seem so professional and organised, i was so worried people would see it as i did, my dining room ! but it now looks like a purpose built room for my business - and when i lead people along to the room i tell them to follow me through to THE SALON ! and gradually i no longer think of it as my dining room but MY SALON

im sure soon you'll feel the same way, and it will look fantastic

kx

Kellyc said:
Oh good, glad for your feedback i have set my room up its pretty basic at the mo with my desk and my cerrtificates on the wall will be putting my shelfs up this week and just need some pictures cant think what else i need to make it more welcoming though, but just wanted to know your thoughts on the upstairs thing x

Sorry all, didnt realise I babbled so much and that the note would be so long !!!

kx

Karren said:
Hi Kelly

Cant help with the stairs question but i too have converted a room in my house into a salon

As my partner works away during the week and we dont really use the room its ideal, come christmas i will have to pack my things away though ! but worth it definatley to have your own space

I have a table for my retail items, creative posters on the walls together with my certificates and examples of nail art, mosaic & metro, flowers and airbrushing designs. Oh and a clock on the wall behind the client !! very handy

I have a desk where i work and i have also had an extractor fan put in the wall, through to outside

I have a couple of trolleys with my pedicure items and paraffin wax etc on so that i can comfortably wheel these round to the client and have everything to hand to work with when not working at my desk

I also will be changing my posters around as i have some spares so that my room changes and catches peoples eyes when the return. I'll also be changing my retail items around too so people do not become complacent where certain items are and if i move them other items may start to catch their eyes ??!!! here's hoping anyway ! Thing is here i am gonna do this and when Tesco's change their aisles around its so annoying i cant find anything !! lol not that my room is anywhere near that scale and hopefully wont annoy but please people !

All comments have been really positive and people really love the experience of coming (so they tell me !)

Just a few simple things can make a room seem so professional and organised, i was so worried people would see it as i did, my dining room ! but it now looks like a purpose built room for my business - and when i lead people along to the room i tell them to follow me through to THE SALON ! and gradually i no longer think of it as my dining room but MY SALON

im sure soon you'll feel the same way, and it will look fantastic

kx

I was just saying to a Hair client the other day that I was considering converting the loft and putting in an en-suite bathroom, with the view to possibly using it as 'my room' for doing Hair, Nails, Pedicures, Waxing etc.......... then guess what happend?

I went to a Medium today who just babbled out that I'm going to be very successful with work and will get my goals. Also that in about 18 months time she could see me expanding at home for work purposes. Spooky!

I'm a true believer in all that stuff and I know it probably sounds a bit naff but all the other stuff she was telling me were right on the button........ so if she's not talking rot then hopefully my loft will be my haven in 18 months time.

I'd put another shed in my garden but the one we have already looks like a small Granny Flat and if we were to add another one, there'd be no grass left - so loft it's gotta be!

This was a long one huh? Sorry. x

Well, do tell me in 18 months if she was right :) I certanly hope she is. I think i might have to move in a near future, cause the owner wants to raise the rent, (he used include the water and electricity consumption, but now he's thinking we're using too much and wants us to pay the bills) but actually i think it might be a good thing cause i found a house that is going to be vacant for the same price he wants to charge me and has one more room then we have now, and he can do a contract so we (me and my boyfriend) can sign up for a youth rental plan that can give us up to 50% of the rent value. And the best thing is i can use the extra room to set up a nice nail room, and it is on the 1st floor so i can probably put a sign outside :)

I have worked from my home for 18 years! I am now in my fourth house over this period of time but sadly this time it's more like a broom cupboard than a beauty room! I have had two upstairs rooms and two downstairs rooms and generally the clients don't mind. It's more important what impact it has on you and your home rather than anything else.

There will always be some customers who prefer a salon to a home based business, but equally us "at homers" offer something different to those salons. Something to suit everyone I say!

We embark on major building work sometime soon and at some point in the distant future I will have a purpose built workroom! I can but dream.............

Latest posts

Back