working from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinks

Reaction score
hi im new to this site ,am leaving my current job in a salon next year and would be greatful for any advice on how to go about setting up from home
Having a small treatment room in the back of my house .can anyone help me
havent a clue were to start.:rolleyes:

you will need insurance first hun....stock....table,chair,lamp....you will need to advertise your services aswell hun...xxxx

all ready have stock table equipment etc have been therpist for 10 years just used to working for someone not for myself wondering if i need to inform the local council will be working from home ??? .Have public liability and member of the Federation of holistic therpists.worried incase ive missed anything .

You need to ask your local council if they require you to be licensed, as this varies from district to district.

You also need to advise your household insurers, and you may need a special homeworkers' policy.

You definately need to check with your council, not just to see if you need to be registered but also they may wish to do a H&S inspection or they may wish you to restrick the hours you work (like say no clients after 9pm). You need to ask your neighbours too in case they have a problem with it,check with your mortgage company too as some will not allow you to run a business from home, and your buildings and contents insurance as again some do not allow it. Good luck hun, I have had a home salon for 3 years and havnt regretted a moment of it.:hug:

You need to ask your local council if they require you to be licensed, as this varies from district to district.

You also need to advise your household insurers, and you may need a special homeworkers' policy.
I was just going to post the above, but added to that, check that your mortgage allows you to work from your home. Some aggreements may stipulate in the fine print that a business may not be operated from your home for a certain amount of time from purchac eor permission may be required from your mortgage lender first.

Sorry, just thought of another thing ..... make sure that the area from your entrance to the salon area is hazard safe. As far as I am aware, public liability does not cover you for accidents between entrance and salon area eg. client slips on hallway mat/rug. You are only covered in the area of treatment. HTHs.

Make that room in your house only part of your business do not have it sole business use.ie it needs to be used more for or at least the same for business and domestic.
So if its your spare room have a sofa bed in it or something else that makes it not just look like a salon.Then its not just a business and doesnt come under the same laws certainly not in my area anyway.
Also it shouldnt have a separate access to the house.

Can you say why please gillian? I'd be interested in the answer.

Obviously if somebody has a timber frame structure at the bottom of garden, then it will have a separate entrance as opposed to a room in a house.

As you don't have a shop front, if people don't know you're there they won't come. In my experience you need to budget the same amount for marketing as you spent on training and all products and equipment to set up. Good luck hun. xx

Can you say why please gillian? I'd be interested in the answer.

Obviously if somebody has a timber frame structure at the bottom of garden, then it will have a separate entrance as opposed to a room in a house.

I have a log cabin and as I have a seperate entrance I am liable for business rates, as it is classed as business premises. hths:hug:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that if you have a specific room for the purpose of your business then you are liable for business rates. If, say, you use your living room, you are not liable for them. It is not just about having a separate entrance. :hug:

I have a log cabin and as I have a seperate entrance I am liable for business rates, as it is classed as business premises. hths:hug:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that if you have a specific room for the purpose of your business then you are liable for business rates. If, say, you use your living room, you are not liable for them. It is not just about having a separate entrance. :hug:

Thank you both. I did not know this so interesting reading.

Sorry, just thought of another thing ..... make sure that the area from your entrance to the salon area is hazard safe. As far as I am aware, public liability does not cover you for accidents between entrance and salon area eg. client slips on hallway mat/rug. You are only covered in the area of treatment. HTHs.

I think this is where your household insurance comes into play. (Rather than your treatment insurance.) I'm sure it came up when I was discussing things with my ins. broker.

Make that room in your house only part of your business do not have it sole business use.ie it needs to be used more for or at least the same for business and domestic.
So if its your spare room have a sofa bed in it or something else that makes it not just look like a salon.Then its not just a business and doesnt come under the same laws certainly not in my area anyway.

My salon area has sole business use and it's own entrance :eek:
I think you're right, that it varies from area to area.
I have been checked out by my local authority, and don't pay business rates. I can also claim a percentage of my household bills against tax as the room is dedicated to my business.

thank you to you all for you advice fingers crossed im doing the right thing..if i dont do it now i never will.thanks

You also need to check the deeds to your house as some state that you can't use the property for business. You will also need to check with your local council's planning department to see if you need to apply for a change of use.

Good luck!

Sharon, going by the laws in my area, if you have a log cabin it carries the same conditions as working from a room in your house, ie, if you can use the area for other purposes, then there is no problem.

I have a summerhouse in my garden which I work from, and as I have very peculiar neighbours on one side I needed to cover myself from all directions, so, to clarify, if the building can be used for more than one purpose, (and of course you don't antagonise the neighbours by parking across their driveways, cars don't rev up their engines at all times of the night, and they don't cause a public nuisance), then I don't think you need to worry.

Christine

My salon area has sole business use and it's own entrance :eek:
I think you're right, that it varies from area to area.
I have been checked out by my local authority, and don't pay business rates. I can also claim a percentage of my household bills against tax as the room is dedicated to my business.

How do you get on with waste removal are you allowed to put it in your normal household waste ?

How do you get on with waste removal are you allowed to put it in your normal household waste ?

Yes, with the exception of sharps. Atm anyway :green:

Of course if this changes I will have to go with the flow

There seem to be loads of therapists working from home around here, LOADS!

(just not many of them are geeks...)

Latest posts

Back