working from home.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelli-marie

Reaction score
Im thinking about working from home in a conservatory.
Is there a special type of insurance i need to do this apart from having my mobile nail insurance.
Does anyone no where to get a proper nail table from.

hi

you can buy nail stations from your local wholesalers i know there r 2 in chelmsford near you jack k and salon express and a sallys in basildon and romford dont know any in brentwood sorry. also the catologues beauty express and ellisons sell them hth xx www.sallybeauty.com

kelli-marie said:
Im thinking about working from home in a conservatory.
Is there a special type of insurance i need to do this apart from having my mobile nail insurance.
Does anyone no where to get a proper nail table from.
You have to contact your council and inspections have to take place with regards to health and safety etc. but i dont know whether your insurance would be invalid if you didnt go the "proper" route. Most wholesalers sell nail tables. There are lots of them in your area - i'm sure if you sent a PM to Debs, KellyC or Talented Talons they would be able to point you in the right direction of the ones around Brentwood.

Hi,

You have to inform your Mortgage Lender that you intend to work from home,(It has got something to do with your contents insurance )
I phoned my local council to tell them of my intention and as it was only me working from home i.e (not employing anyone) and the fact that I can only do one client at a time (so there wouldnt be any traffic build up or parking problems, there were no health and safety issues to address (this only applies where you have a workforce) I had to prove I was insured, I then had to put all this in writing, where they hold it on file, they said they only needed to come and see me if they recieved complaints from the neighbours (so I informed the neighbours and offered all the women a 10% discount) keeps them sweet you see. As far as business rates and tax are concerned I was told by my local council that business rates only apply to home business's where there is more business than house for example a BB, as I was only using one room this didnt apply (after all lots of people work from home in an office and dont pay business rates. I also registered with the inland revenue, you need to start paying your national insurance stamp (its about £10.00 a week) then they send you your tax forms once a year for self assesment, but keep all reciepts and appointment book, my accountant charges £170.00 a year to do my tax returns for me, I think you can earn £5,000 before you become eligible for tax anyway, and you can claim against all your purchases.

Hope this helps and Good Luck

Claire x

Thank you claire this has really helped me.
The room i have is small only enough to do one person at a time.
I thought it would be alot more complicated to sort out but u really helped.

I worked from home for a while and did some leaflet drops. One of these landed at the desk of the head of planning (sent in by a very thoughtful person) with a subsequent visit to my house by a planning inspector. They weren't at all worried about health and safety, just about whether my house was being used to operate a business. At the time I was doing it in my dining part of a kitchen-diner and so thought that as it was being used for personal and business use I would be okay. Oh No I wasn't!!! As always the bye laws for these things are not cast in stone and is up to the interpretation of each council authority. Appraently it all comes down to the amount of vehicular and pedestrian traffic coming to and from your property as a result of your business (doesn't matter where they park, what proportion of your house is used etc). Again this is a grey area and Fareham council deem anymore than 5 or 6 people to your property a week is deemed BUSINESS USE. You would then be liable to business rates (may even have to apply for change of user) and this would be calculated on the amount of space you actually use (even if it is used as a dining room as well). You could even be liable to Capital Gains Tax (at least I think it's that one) on the portion of business use of your property should you come to sell it!! SO BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!!!! Also tried to apply for house insurance and again if you are operating any kind of business where the public are coming in and out of yourproperty most insurers will not insure you and if you try and decieve them your insurance would be invalid. This is now one of the main reasons I went mobile, and I now rent space in a hair salon. Sorry to be thebearer of such bad tidings but you really need to tread with caution.
kelli-marie said:
Thank you claire this has really helped me.
The room i have is small only enough to do one person at a time.
I thought it would be alot more complicated to sort out but u really helped.

sarah haslam said:
I worked from home for a while and did some leaflet drops. One of these landed at the desk of the head of planning (sent in by a very thoughtful person) with a subsequent visit to my house by a planning inspector. They weren't at all worried about health and safety, just about whether my house was being used to operate a business. At the time I was doing it in my dining part of a kitchen-diner and so thought that as it was being used for personal and business use I would be okay. Oh No I wasn't!!! As always the bye laws for these things are not cast in stone and is up to the interpretation of each council authority. Appraently it all comes down to the amount of vehicular and pedestrian traffic coming to and from your property as a result of your business (doesn't matter where they park, what proportion of your house is used etc). Again this is a grey area and Fareham council deem anymore than 5 or 6 people to your property a week is deemed BUSINESS USE. You would then be liable to business rates (may even have to apply for change of user) and this would be calculated on the amount of space you actually use (even if it is used as a dining room as well). You could even be liable to Capital Gains Tax (at least I think it's that one) on the portion of business use of your property should you come to sell it!! SO BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!!!! Also tried to apply for house insurance and again if you are operating any kind of business where the public are coming in and out of yourproperty most insurers will not insure you and if you try and decieve them your insurance would be invalid. This is now one of the main reasons I went mobile, and I now rent space in a hair salon. Sorry to be thebearer of such bad tidings but you really need to tread with caution.
Hi there: i'm glad you clarified that coz i remember the college said you had to contact local council but had thought it was about health and safety. When i called the council the woman said that if i had one person paying me for any treatment then it was deemed as business being conducted on the premises and talked about having fire service round to do an inspection and various other things. I didnt think it was that simple either and it was the same reason why i went for the mobile option ;)

OH MY GOD!! How woried am I now - I havnt informed my mortgage, council, or house insurers! I had no idea I needed to...My average week consists of 2 clients - do I still need to do all this stuff??

Hiya Sara, Sorry didn't mean to give you a scare, but just wanted to let you know of my experiences. As I say all councils are different so maybe phone yours up and give a false name (oh my god did I really say that) to try and find out where they stand - you need to talk to someone in planning. When you apply for insurance one of the questions they ask is "is any part of your house being used for business purposes?", when I said yes at this point they said they wouldn't be able to insure me, but couldn't recommend anyone who could in these circumstances .....( Had a bit of a laugh actually as I got fed up with all the questions being asked so when they asked "have you been convicted of a criminal offence?" and I replied "No, but I got away with murdering my husband" you could have heard a pin drop !!!!!!!!!!!!!! they were so relieved when I said I was only joking and said they must get so bored with everyone going"yes,no" to their questions that I thought I would make their day more interesting!!!!!!!!!).... I digress. I too didn't know you had to inform your mortgage co, but have recently heard this is the case. I know it's all a bit of a shock but I really wouldn't bury your head in the sand. I do know of people in my Borough who do it without the Council knowing and get away with it....... so that's up to you. But your House Insurance is not worth taking a risk on. Best wishes, I'd love to know how you get on. Or put out a notice on this site to see if there is anyone in your area who wants to rent out salon space, the extra business you will get by being in there will quickly recompence you for your weekly rent.
Sara Satchell said:
OH MY GOD!! How woried am I now - I havnt informed my mortgage, council, or house insurers! I had no idea I needed to...My average week consists of 2 clients - do I still need to do all this stuff??

Hmm, thats a good idea (renting the salon space). I may just go mobile - it seems easier. I've got to be honest though, and I don't know if any one else has ever felt like like this, but it worries me slightly that I would be going to a strangers house - I'm am just odd??!

Yo, it's me again. Okay I have worked as employed in a nail bar, worked from home, been mobile and now rent space in a hair salon. The latter is definitely the best. Working in a nail salon is good as you can call upon other tech's experience, but the pay is pants (usually). Working from home was great (apart from the probs already mentioned), but you can expect calls at 9pm on a Sunday, you never get away from work , it can be very lonely, you have to advertise heavily (no shop front),but you can sunbathe when you've got no clients (mind you got no sun at the mo either) Mobile is v stressful, you are always clock watching, setting up and packing up in an environment you can't control (ie their kids playing with your stuff), getting stuck in traffic jams, the security risk of going into strangers homes, people expect it cheaper when your biggest overhead is travelling times, plus the minuses of working from home. My advice is to rent space. You have all the perks of self employment with some of the benefits of being employed. I can come and go as I please, I have a receptionist, all heating, elec etc paid for, I have high profile shop frontage (in fact I have a ruddy great banner in the window at the mo), I work in a really friendly salon and so have a good laugh with the girls ( or a shoulder to cry on when things aren't going so well). I do still pay for my own equipment and advertising but do then have total control over its quality. Whatever rent you negotiate then incorporate this in your business plan as fixed overheads, you then set your prices accordingly so that you are not out of pocket. When I switched my set and infill prices went up by £5 (infills from £15 to £20 and sets from £30 to £35) this covered my rent as at the time I was doing an average of 20 clients per week (20 x £5 increase = £100, and my rent is £100) . I get a lot of walk in clients that I would not have got from being at home. If you do do this then approach all your salons (and even your beauty salons that don't offer nails) and see if they are interested and what terms they want to offer. Hope that my expreiences help you in some way ........... can I have the tee shirt now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sara Satchell said:
Hmm, thats a good idea (renting the salon space). I may just go mobile - it seems easier. I've got to be honest though, and I don't know if any one else has ever felt like like this, but it worries me slightly that I would be going to a strangers house - I'm am just odd??!

LOL, thanks Sarah. I'll certainly look into it....just don't know where to start or how to approach the salons..?

I was quite lucky as a friend of mine is a hairdresser and their salon was looking to rent out space. I also aproached other salons to see if I could get a better deal, but stuck with the original one as I felt it was a v friendly place to work. You could approach the salon owners and see if they are interested. Go armed with your certificates and some idea of how much you want to pay, and how you being there would benefit them. Just go for it!!!!!!!

Thanks Sarah, I'll look into it and let you know how I get on!!

Latest posts

Back