Working from premises or from home?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuartW

Reaction score
Thinking of ways to increase income by reducing costs and thought about savings on rent by working from home.

I have heard there is a possibility that some clients are less willing to attend a domestic set up and may prefer a more formal business set up. Current location is within a hairdressers/health club and the proposed home working would be a dining room or to invest in a conservatory. It is appreciated that house insurance and mortgage conditions will need to be considered.

Any thoughts on working from home against working in a more formal setting?

Hi there,

I can vouch for the many clients that do actually prefer the comfort and intimate setting that a home based salon provides. It's a bit like marmite, it works well for me to have my home salon but proably doesn't suit all.
Could you have the conversation with your current clients? I have parking off road for 6 cars, so there is no parking issue. Home working has many advantages, you just have to decide what is right for your clients and yourself.

Good luck, and do some market research , then decide !

Both options have got pro's and con's.
If you work from home you can save rent and increase convenience but it also means having clients in your home which you may or may not like and some clients may like or not like it. As long as your set up is professional, I dont think there is anything going against it though.

One thing you need to consider is that you wont get any walk in clients and you lose the advantage of gym goers noticing your business so you will rely on your own marketing efforts as well as returning clients and word of mouth if that makes sense?

I'm in my 50s now and currently still have a small salon. I work about 25 hours a week with a part time lady ( PAYE) ☹️ and travel 30 mins to my salon. Having been off from the salon and having already reduced my hours I now know what I've been thinking for some time and that is better life - work balance.. I had a home salon in France for four years and have never been so happy in my work but as we moved to a completely new area on our return opted to buy a ready made business. 10 years on I'm now in a position to set one up at home but with all my salon clients being 30 mins away can't rely on those for trade. I'm thinking do I try it along side running the salon, I don't need to earn masses. Presumably I have to have permission from the council and h how much would the rates be.
Any ideas and advice.
Thanks

I'm in my 50s now and currently still have a small salon. I work about 25 hours a week with a part time lady ( PAYE) ☹️ and travel 30 mins to my salon. Having been off from the salon and having already reduced my hours I now know what I've been thinking for some time and that is better life - work balance.. I had a home salon in France for four years and have never been so happy in my work but as we moved to a completely new area on our return opted to buy a ready made business. 10 years on I'm now in a position to set one up at home but with all my salon clients being 30 mins away can't rely on those for trade. I'm thinking do I try it along side running the salon, I don't need to earn masses. Presumably I have to have permission from the council and h how much would the rates be.
Any ideas and advice.
Thanks

I’m in such a similar position, I’m 30 minutes away from my salon , just had a baby and was so tempted to set up from home but I need the money so I’m having to go Bk for now . I think cabins look so nice and professional and atleast clients don’t have to go insyse your house or you could set up from a spare room and do that alongside your salon to see how it goes? Could you get someone else in the salon to rent Soave to help cover some costs etc?

I worked from home for about 5 years, and then got a place in the city. I lost all my regulars and struggled. After 6 months I admitted defeat and went back home. They all came back. A lot of clients prefer a home setting, so long as its set up in a professional way as you would a salon. Some prefer a high street. Its swings and roundabouts. I would probably have been able to make a go of it, but I couldn't financially sustain it for much longer than 6 months. I ended up doing clients at home after work just to make a living, so I felt like I wasted my time and money. The moral of my story is, don't try to fix what's not broken lol... There are advantages and disadvantages to each system and you have to weigh up what you prefer. One of my disadvantages that has always stuck out is that you feel like your never away from work. Therefore you need to be able to close that door on that room and leave work behind and have a personal life.

Nicky xx

I’m in such a similar position, I’m 30 minutes away from my salon , just had a baby and was so tempted to set up from home but I need the money so I’m having to go Bk for now . I think cabins look so nice and professional and atleast clients don’t have to go insyse your house or you could set up from a spare room and do that alongside your salon to see how it goes? Could you get someone else in the salon to rent Soave to help cover some costs etc?
Yes that's a good idea..I've put an ad on FB for self employed stylist truth be told I'm done with salon life but not done with doing hair. I'm even considering mobile but how the heck can you rinse a perm or colour over the sink properly!!

I worked from home for about 5 years, and then got a place in the city. I lost all my regulars and struggled. After 6 months I admitted defeat and went back home. They all came back. A lot of clients prefer a home setting, so long as its set up in a professional way as you would a salon. Some prefer a high street. Its swings and roundabouts. I would probably have been able to make a go of it, but I couldn't financially sustain it for much longer than 6 months. I ended up doing clients at home after work just to make a living, so I felt like I wasted my time and money. The moral of my story is, don't try to fix what's not broken lol... There are advantages and disadvantages to each system and you have to weigh up what you prefer. One of my disadvantages that has always stuck out is that you feel like your never away from work. Therefore you need to be able to close that door on that room and leave work behind and have a personal life.

Nicky xx
Such a good reply. Think being off all this time has given me too much time to overthink stuff.

Yes that's a good idea..I've put an ad on FB for self employed stylist truth be told I'm done with salon life but not done with doing hair. I'm even considering mobile but how the heck can you rinse a perm or colour over the sink properly!!
Hi There Im in my 50's too and currently salon based and taking the first tentative steps to go mobile . This was recommended to me and for a single attachment buy any brand apparently they are all much and a muchness. I havent tried them yet as they have only just arrived so time will tell. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HB1PXBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So this is for two taps which most folks don't have now...or do they?

Hi There Im in my 50's too and currently salon based and taking the first tentative steps to go mobile . This was recommended to me and for a single attachment buy any brand apparently they are all much and a muchness. I havent tried them yet as they have only just arrived so time will tell. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HB1PXBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just found a single one. This would be worth a go as very inexpensive. Thanks

Latest posts

Back