Working in a care home help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracey xox

Reaction score
Hi I’ve recently started helping out at a local dementia care home doing their hair, they have a basin with a u shape at the front, it doesn’t move at all though, and a chair that goes up & down, but it’s just not possible to wash their hair without a million towels and soaking the floor as I can’t get them close enough, I’ve tried asking them to stand face over the sink but most can’t, Am I missing something, could anyone else help on what they might use?

Hi, I'm mobile and have done lots of old/disabled clients hair. I brought a portable backwash that is height adjustable, so you can really push it into their neck as far as it will go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133554078990
(Mine is the large size)
I have a bucket that the hose goes into and another bucket that I operate my camping shower from. Absolute game changer! It's definitely my unique selling point, older customers love as they literally just sit down and I move around them, and as far as I can tell it's pretty rare for mobiles in this area.

I have one lady whose head tilts consistently to the left so no matter how hard I push in she's watertight on the left but big gap at the right. So we use 2 plastic capes, and tightly roll the towel around her neck at the top to try to fill the gap a bit (obviously need to change this after.) When I'm rinsing I cup my hands around the gap area so the majority of the water runs away to the back. Keep asking them to push/lean back if you have to, I usually have to say it at least twice per wash! They don't mind.

When I was at my salon job we mostly did OAPs who often couldn't get close enough into the basin, so you got very good at waterproofing! My extreme cases would be gowned up like this -
First, a tight fitting water proof gown that the back went over the back of the seat. That way if water did get through it would just run down onto the floor, not down the back of their chair.
Secondly, a disposable plastic cape (the short black colouring ones)
Thirdly, a flat towel around the neck.
Fourth, another towel but tightly rolled a few times at the neck area, all secured with a clip.

The ladies who it happened to were usually used to the varying results of wetness from which ever junior/assistant washed their hair, they were mostly fine with it and I often had a laugh with them about it, (eg "right now to waterproof you up," and "yay! We didn't get you wet!") A little bit of humour definitely helps, if it's appropriate of course.

All the best 😊

Thank you, I did look at something like this but I’m worried the room we have is a bit crowded as it is! They have shower equipment and wheel chairs in there, if I’ll do any long term anywhere else I’m definitely looking at getting something like this though,
Thanks for the advice, and the way to gown them, last lady I did I soaked the floor, but at least she was dry lol

Hi I’ve recently started helping out at a local dementia care home doing their hair, they have a basin with a u shape at the front, it doesn’t move at all though, and a chair that goes up & down, but it’s just not possible to wash their hair without a million towels and soaking the floor as I can’t get them close enough, I’ve tried asking them to stand face over the sink but most can’t, Am I missing something, could anyone else help on what they might use?
Buy a hair funnel! I used to do hair in a similar place. This thing is amazing and cheap. I always wrapped it around their neck it seemed to tight if I went around head like the picture. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 4E04B55B-D47A-4529-8ACA-B3FAC50BE550.png
    4E04B55B-D47A-4529-8ACA-B3FAC50BE550.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
That is genius 👍🏻

Latest posts

Back