Working in a salon self-employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe90

Reaction score
Are there any nail techs/beauty therapists who work in a salon or any salon owners who have techs/therapists who are self employed in their salons. If so, who provides the uniform?

Do you think it is the tech's responsibility to provide the uniform or the salon owners.

The reason I ask is that I am due to start work soon in a new salon and salon owner has asked me to get my own uniform. Does this seem right approach?

One other question if can: I had the opportunity to be either employed or self employed and I know there are pros and cons to both but.. the salon owner will obviously and quite rightly want to make sure her employees are fully booked before myself, so should I change my mind and be employed?

i think if you are employed by the salon, it is their responsibility to provide youwith a uniform. If you are self employed in a salon, i would say its your responsibility to provide your uniform and products, if you are just giving them a percentage of what you earn. I guess if they are employing you on a salary and telling you to take care of your own tax and NI, then maybe they should provide uniform and products. There are so many different ways of doing things??

Are there any nail techs/beauty therapists who work in a salon or any salon owners who have techs/therapists who are self employed in their salons. If so, who provides the uniform?

Do you think it is the tech's responsibility to provide the uniform or the salon owners.

The reason I ask is that I am due to start work soon in a new salon and salon owner has asked me to get my own uniform. Does this seem right approach?

One other question if can: I had the opportunity to be either employed or self employed and I know there are pros and cons to both but.. the salon owner will obviously and quite rightly want to make sure her employees are fully booked before myself, so should I change my mind and be employed?

Hi joe 90 hope you are feeling a bit better now ?

Anyway I have worked in quite a few places and I have never been given a uniform I have always had to buy my own whether I was self employed or not ,
or pay for it weekly from my wages .

If you were self employed would you have you provide all your own stock /station ect ?

its just if you have to buy your own stock and if other people are working there ,
if they run out of something in desperation they may use your stuff without asking first ,
They will always intend to replace it , but always seem to forget ,

also your work station , there is nothing worse than coming in to find its been used and dirty ,

Self employed can be great , but like anything else it has its downsides and upsides
I was self employed and used to provide my own stock and absolutely everything else right down to towels .
I gave a percentage of 30% but if i did something major and earned a greater amount the owner took 50% :eek: which wasn't fair to change the goal posts when it suited ,

The only good thing was I could choose my own part time hours ,

Then found that the hours that I didn't do (someone else did ) and used my equipment and products :eek: ,
so I left . one of the best things I ever did .

Being self employed in someone else's salon ,
never really makes you your own boss,

But it can also be great if you get the right salon owner , who is Fair,
I am sorry if I have let you see the downside side of being self employed but that is how it was for me :|
Being employed was better for me as I had a good owner who was kind and treated people fair, and also had a contract of employment , which is most important for both sides
I left there through illness , but hopefully am planning to go back,

The best way of being self employed is to have your own shop or a little nail bar in the house , but I know its not always possible :hug:

Anyway there may be others on here who have had a far better experience than I did

but at least it helps to know the pitfalls, :hug: x

When I have worked in a salon self employed I provided my own equipment and uniform.
As for the other question...who will take your bookings?
Do you have your own regulars who will come to the salon with you?

When I have worked in a salon self employed I provided my own equipment and uniform.
As for the other question...who will take your bookings?
Do you have your own regulars who will come to the salon with you?

Thanks for the replies so far, having thought about it myself and talked to another friend in the industry I think I will go down the self employed route, yes it maybe that I am not busy to start with but I will have to ride out the storm until it does get busy for me.

In answer to your questions Judy, no, none of my regular clients will come with me to the salon as I am still renting my room above hairdressers and intend to be in there when not working at the other salon as things are not building the way I thought they would. So until I start getting the level of clients I want, I will go and work at the other salon too.

Salon will take bookings for me so I know that in the beginning when things maybe quieter the employed girls will get the work before me.

I have been up front with the salon owner and she knows all about my other place of work and is quite happy for me to keep it on. It would be stupid really to let it go as I pay a minimal rent and whilst I am off sick, the salon owner says not to pay him at all (what a sweeetie he is).

The salon owner will be providing all the products and it sounds like its going to be a 60/40 split.

Thanks guys you have helped loads.

HI JUST READ YOUR THREAD,AND I AGREE THERE ARE TWO SIDES TO THIS.I AM LEAVING A SALON THAT I HAVE WORKED IN FOR A FEW YEARS NOW,AND I HAVE BEEN REALLY HAPPY THERE BUT I FEEL LIKE A NEW CHALLENGE SO I AM ABOUT TO RENT A ROOM IN A HAIR SALON CLOSER TO WERE I LIVE.AT THE MOMENT WHAT WE HAVE DISCUSSED REGARDS TERMS AND STUFF HAVE BEEN FAIR.ALL I WILL DO IS PAY HER RENT EACH WEEK FOR MY ROOM AND THE REST IS UP TO ME,I WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL I NEED TO OPERATE MY BUSINESS,BUT MY RENT INCLUDES LIGHTING ETC.SO IN AFFECT ALL SHE WILL BE IS MY LANDLADY.I AM INVESTING MONEY BY DECORATING THE ROOM WHICH I SEE WILL THEREFORE ENHANCE HER BUSINESS ALSO.WHICHEVER PATH YOU DECIDE GOOD LUCK XX:hug:

hi just been reding your thread and i am also self imployed in hair salon i have been there two months and the deal was 20/80 split with me providing all my own stuff there was no contract ,now the owner has told me that she wants rent and that she has done her reserch and £100 week seems to be the going rate even though i dont have my own room and am only there 3 days week ,any sugestions on what you think is fair x

Thanks for the replies so far, having thought about it myself and talked to another friend in the industry I think I will go down the self employed route, yes it maybe that I am not busy to start with but I will have to ride out the storm until it does get busy for me.

In answer to your questions Judy, no, none of my regular clients will come with me to the salon as I am still renting my room above hairdressers and intend to be in there when not working at the other salon as things are not building the way I thought they would. So until I start getting the level of clients I want, I will go and work at the other salon too.

Salon will take bookings for me so I know that in the beginning when things maybe quieter the employed girls will get the work before me.

I have been up front with the salon owner and she knows all about my other place of work and is quite happy for me to keep it on. It would be stupid really to let it go as I pay a minimal rent and whilst I am off sick, the salon owner says not to pay him at all (what a sweeetie he is).

The salon owner will be providing all the products and it sounds like its going to be a 60/40 split.

Thanks guys you have helped loads.

Well if you don't try you'll never know so give it a go mate.:hug:
The reason I asked is that a tech I know works in similar conditions and the girls who work for the salon tend to get the majority of the bookings. BUT she does tend to get a lot of the walk-ins.

Thanks Judy, that helps mate.

Thanks Judy, that helps mate.

Hello joe whatever you choose I hope you are very happy there and good luck:hug:

I have negotiated a 45% 55% split which I think is pretty good and I will be doing a Wednesday afternoon and a Saturday.

One of the main reasons I decided to take the job was although I have a good client base it seemed to rise quite rapidly and then just fizzle out and I need to be busy all day every day and some days are quieter than others.
The other reason is that I cannot practice any holistic therapies at my rented room as there is a holistic therapist already in there in another room so it made sense to look for somewhere where I could do this and as this new salon has no holistic therapist it could be great for me.

Latest posts

Back