Working in Canada, what qualifications do I need?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saitpicks

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help I might have an opportunity to move to Canada for a couple of years. I'm CND trained and wondered if I would need anything else to work in the nail world out there?

Sorry I'm currently in the UK.

It depends on what province you are going to. Only a few make you have a certificate or license. I am in PEI and do not need anything to become a nail technician and open my own business (I am currently taking a course though). It may be different when working in a salon, they may require you to have one because they want a professional.

Depends on what province. If you let me know, I can point you in the right direction. Some provinces require you to take a provincial exam to become qualified to work on clients. I'd also recommend BeautyCouncil examination if you're moving to Western Canada. :p

Good Luck! I'll provide more info if need be.

https://beautycouncil.ca/cpages/exams-and-certification

Depends on what province. If you let me know, I can point you in the right direction. Some provinces require you to take a provincial exam to become qualified to work on clients. I'd also recommend BeautyCouncil examination if you're moving to Western Canada. :p

im also interested to know about qualifications in Canada..
my brother and a few friends are moving to Canada from uk next year and i was thinking of joining them at a later date he is thinking either Toronto or Vancouver what is the requirements there if you don't mind me asking? I am qualified in NVQ Level 2 & 3 beauty therapy and i also have Laser certificates with Ellipse and Candela gentleLase x

im also interested to know about qualifications in Canada..
my brother and a few friends are moving to Canada from uk next year and i was thinking of joining them at a later date he is thinking either Toronto or Vancouver what is the requirements there if you don't mind me asking? I am qualified in NVQ Level 2 & 3 beauty therapy and i also have Laser certificates with Ellipse and Candela gentleLase x

Congratulations if you decide to do so! It's a big step.

For Vancouver, you will need to take the Cosmetology Industry Association of British Columbia Exam (CIABC). You must also continue to be in good standing with CIABC. Now, I don't know if it's mandatory. From what I heard, it's not BUT, you do miss out on pretty much everything and anything. So it's strongly recommended it and I'll just say that it's mandatory. CIABC is what I linked early, the BeautyCouncil. Fees for non-members is $250 CND. You'll also have to prove that you have had an education at a qualified school. It'll be best to talk to someone from BeautyCouncil for this part as they know their credentials way more than I do. You can get in touch with them by email on their website. You'd also have to comply with local health regulations but this is a no-brainer no matter where you go. Here's some more info:

"BeautyCouncil's Certificate of Qualification is required to obtain the Certified Cosmetology Professional (CCP) designation. Those holding the CCP designation are professionals in good standing and are recognized internationally. Among many benefits of holding professional trade credentials, you are granted the eligibility to purchase exclusive professional products and equipment, and to apply for liability/malpractice insurance."

I'm have more knowledge about Western Canada than I do Toronto and Eastern Canada. But from what I dug up, they're a little less er, strict. You basically don't even need an education.

"Only four provinces out of 10 provinces and three territories – British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia – require formal certification, though Nova Scotia only requires it for manicuring and does not yet address nail enhancements." Link: Nails Mag - Canadian Nail Industry

As for your laser question and qualification, you'd have to ask some qualified in laser who lives in Canada as I know absolutely nothing. :cry: but if I come across anything, I'll be sure to leave you a PM.

P.S. If I could throw my 2 cents in, I'd recommend the province of Alberta to you and your brother for a fresh start in Canada. I currently live in BC and it's beyond crazy expensive. Alberta is full of resources and Oil Rig wives who love to get their nails done and go to the spa. :wink2: + they only pay 1 tax and property is cheap :evil: grrr, makes me jealous.

Good luck, m'dear and if you need to know anything else, pm me!

Coming from someone who lives in Alberta do your research first. Rentals in some areas are near impossible to find. Where I live we have a 0% vacancy rate and be prepared to pay in excess of $1,700 a month for a mobile home. Also if you work in the oil field be prepared to work insane hours. I am an oilfield wife and my hubby puts in about 176 hours every 2 weeks. I am leaving my real estate job for an oilfield job, 12 hour shifts, on call but 5 on 5 off, 4 on 4 off. Just do your research, Albertas 2 major cities, Edmonton and Calgary may be easier to find work and a place to live. Stay away from Fort McMurray.

Congratulations if you decide to do so! It's a big step.

For Vancouver, you will need to take the Cosmetology Industry Association of British Columbia Exam (CIABC). You must also continue to be in good standing with CIABC. Now, I don't know if it's mandatory. From what I heard, it's not BUT, you do miss out on pretty much everything and anything. So it's strongly recommended it and I'll just say that it's mandatory. CIABC is what I linked early, the BeautyCouncil. Fees for non-members is $250 CND. You'll also have to prove that you have had an education at a qualified school. It'll be best to talk to someone from BeautyCouncil for this part as they know their credentials way more than I do. You can get in touch with them by email on their website. You'd also have to comply with local health regulations but this is a no-brainer no matter where you go. Here's some more info:

"BeautyCouncil's Certificate of Qualification is required to obtain the Certified Cosmetology Professional (CCP) designation. Those holding the CCP designation are professionals in good standing and are recognized internationally. Among many benefits of holding professional trade credentials, you are granted the eligibility to purchase exclusive professional products and equipment, and to apply for liability/malpractice insurance."

I'm have more knowledge about Western Canada than I do Toronto and Eastern Canada. But from what I dug up, they're a little less er, strict. You basically don't even need an education.

"Only four provinces out of 10 provinces and three territories – British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia – require formal certification, though Nova Scotia only requires it for manicuring and does not yet address nail enhancements." Link: Nails Mag - Canadian Nail Industry

As for your laser question and qualification, you'd have to ask some qualified in laser who lives in Canada as I know absolutely nothing. :cry: but if I come across anything, I'll be sure to leave you a PM.

P.S. If I could throw my 2 cents in, I'd recommend the province of Alberta to you and your brother for a fresh start in Canada. I currently live in BC and it's beyond crazy expensive. Alberta is full of resources and Oil Rig wives who love to get their nails done and go to the spa. :wink2: + they only pay 1 tax and property is cheap :evil: grrr, makes me jealous.

Good luck, m'dear and if you need to know anything else, pm me!

As someone who lives in Calgary Alberta may I just add that property is not cheap, we just make MUCH better money so we can afford it. Oil rigs are overrated and people that work them have insane shift work. If you can part from your other half 21 days in a row just to get them back for 5 days then this a place for you.
Calgary is amazing for opportunities but in the beauty industry do not expect to make more than $12/hr to start and even once you hit commission you cannot live off of it in Alberta. So yes, one of you needs to be in the oil industry and that means being up north.
P.s. Hubby makes insane wages per hour that he is away and that is the only reason we own a house and a business. He isn't a rigger though he goes in after the fact and it is beneficial to be a red seal journeyman. Also remember that a huge portion of that money goes to the Federal government
Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi sorry for delay, my husband is possibly being posted to Ralston barracks which I believe is close(ish) to Calgary.

So am I right in thinking as a qualified tech, I don't need to sit any exams at present?

Hi sorry for delay, my husband is possibly being posted to Ralston barracks which I believe is close(ish) to Calgary.

So am I right in thinking as a qualified tech, I don't need to sit any exams at present?

As a designated place in the 2011 Census, Ralston had a population of 409 living in 118 of its 180 total dwellings, a 21.7% change from its 2006 population of 336. With a land area of 1.12 km2 (0.43 sq mi), it had a population density of 365.2/km2 (946/sq mi) in 2011.[8]
A hamlet close to Medicine Hat.
Mostly army and families, if you wish to work you are best to look for a place in Medicine Hat as Calgary is approx. 1.5-2 hr drive to the West of Medicine Hat.
Medicine Hat has very hot short summers and long cold winters :( they don't even get Chinooks, poor bastards.
Or you could move to Calgary and let hubby suffer in Ralston lol

Yep. No need for licensing to perform services but spas and salons will ask to see certificates and insalon practical interview.
Definitely need a work visa to be able to work in Canada, so apply soon :)

Ahh great thanks, we're army too! As soon as we have confirmation I'll apply for a work visa but what I gather it won't be confirmed til we're out there!

I just wanted to double check as some of the websites aren't clear. I love love love what I do and was really worried I wouldn't be able to continue whilst we're in Canada.

Apologies but what is a chinook? (Apart from a helicopter) hehe

Ahh great thanks, we're army too! As soon as we have confirmation I'll apply for a work visa but what I gather it won't be confirmed til we're out there!

I just wanted to double check as some of the websites aren't clear. I love love love what I do and was really worried I wouldn't be able to continue whilst we're in Canada.

Apologies but what is a chinook? (Apart from a helicopter) hehe

A type of western wind that blows in during the long winter months to help you stay sane :(
Otherwise its many months of -30 plus... Calgary is famous for its Chinooks, we get them every couple of weeks which brings the temps back to a balmy 10C lol

Hi i just finish my training in Bali has a spa therapist and got my certification from there. But i live in Ottawa and want to practice and work in Ottawa, can i work with my oversea certification? Or what should i do so i can operate my spa?

I’m in the process of moving to Canada, Ontario. I’m VTCT NVQ level 2&3 beauty therapy trained. Are my qualifications recognised? Would I need to be employed or could I open my own salon and be self employed?

Latest posts

Back