Working in salon and not fully trained yet

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimmi2506

Reaction score
I am qualified level 1 hair and qualified in extensions, amongst other things i will be qualified in level 2 this summer, and im being told from a potential job oppurtunity that i am unable to do colour cuts ect, when i am more than capable. I have been asked by one salon to bring in a client and do a few highlights cut and blow dry to show what i can do, and if i shine (his words) potential for a job. Is this ok for him to do, just questioning as another salon has told me i cannot work as a hairdresser if im not qualified as they cannot get insurance. I wouldnt be working unsupervised either.

It’s completely up to the salon whether they are willing to let you loose on clients doing cuts and colours before you officially qualify.
There is no legal requirement to be qualified in hairdressing before charging for your services.

HOWEVER, you can’t usually obtain professional indemnity insurance until you are qualified to level 2 as a minimum.

If the second salon is willing to supervise you, then their insurer may be happy to provide cover on that basis. Assuming you feel that they are a decent salon and that you can learn from them, it sounds like a good opportunity to get you started.

My only concern is to ensure that you are being EMPLOYED and that they aren’t trying to get you working on a self employed basis, so be careful to check what your wages will be, how often they are paid (weekly/monthly) how much holiday etc.

Best of luck with your interview. :)

Thank you i did tell them i wasnt qualified and he did say dont worry i will be supervised doing the highlights. The salon is very reputable so this is why it made me question whay was going on. The second salon however isn't bothered that i do extensions as the words were "i do these", So i felt as though i wouldnt have been able to do them. They were only open 2 days a week. So would prefer the one on Friday. Fingers crossed all goes well. If im not employed as an hairdresser but working there maybe doing blowdrys until qualified what will i be classed as. As there are plenty of people working in salons that arent qualified that do this. Saturday girls ect
Also wont be doing self employed

Latest posts

Back