Working in the USA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danger Mouse

Reaction score
Hey

I may have the opportunity in the future to also work in the USA (Florida) I was just wondering, anyone can give me some advice and as being a UK tech is there anything different I would have to do in order to make this possible?? Like training etc

To UK techs now in the USA
How have you found it?

Ta

Yes .. allot different.

You would have to go back to beauty school and do everything again to obtain your licence to do nails in that state. It is a long process in many cases and involves State board exams etc. Doable, but just so you know it is not a quick or easy thing to do and it costs!

You must have a state licence to do any nails at all in the USA. Some states do not require a licence (but I think it is only a few as I believe most all states require it now). My North american friends can let us know.

Florida is a State that does require a licence.

Yes .. allot different.

You would have to go back to beauty school and do everything again to obtain your licence to do nails in that state. It is a long process in many cases and involves State board exams etc. Doable, but just so you know it is not a quick or easy thing to do and it costs!

You must have a state licence to do any nails at all in the USA. Some states do not require a licence (but I think it is only a few as I believe most all states require it now). My North american friends can let us know.

Oooh thanks geeg, not the news I wanted to hear :irked:lol sounds very expensive DARN!!

Do you know if your able to do the some of the work over here (paper work) in advance or does all of it have compleated over there?

Oooh thanks geeg, not the news I wanted to hear :irked:lol sounds very expensive DARN!!

Do you know if your able to do the some of the work over here (paper work) in advance or does all of it have compleated over there?

I don't know the answer to that question. Maybe if you contact the Florida Department of Regulation and Licencing cosmotology thay will be able to help you. DBPR Professions - Board of Cosmetology

Would these rules apply to a creative technician as i thought our creative certificates were world wide recognised ?

Would these rules apply to a creative technician as i thought our creative certificates were world wide recognised ?

CND certificates ar recognised world wide, but you will still have to take more exams in the USA to get your State licence as I already said. Every state has its own laws that must be known and adhered to. This is what most of the test are about .. state regulations. those are not taught on CND worldwide classes. I'm sure any CND trained nail technician will sail thru the nail part of things. HTH

Thanks for clearing that up for me Gigi :hug:

Even if you are licensed in the US already , even by Creative, if you move to the state of california, you will have to take the state test all over again. So Creative is regonized, but that just means you won't have to take thier classes.
Our licensing over here is a bit diff ...once you take your classes and get licensed, you can use any product line you want. Without a conversion course.

Even if you are licensed in the US already , even by Creative, if you move to the state of california, you will have to take the state test all over again. So Creative is regonized, but that just means you won't have to take thier classes.
Our licensing over here is a bit diff ...once you take your classes and get licensed, you can use any product line you want. Without a conversion course.

Thanks JD every bit of info helps :)

In Montana you have to have a Diploma or GED to go to Nail School. I don't know what its like elsewhere. Every State has different hour requirments, Montana you need 360 hours, it ends up being 9 weeks full time schooling.. Four and a half years ago it cost me $1800.00 for the school and more money to take the state board exam to actually get my license.. It is over $2000.00 for the school now.. But I have heard of programs to assure you a license in all states, you can get all the certifications. At least in Montana they have that, it can get kinda complicated..

Yes .. allot different.

Currently all states require a license for nail technology, ther are a couple of states that are reviewing current law and may have changes, most of those are midwestern states.

NIC home page has valuable information about testing and licensing requirements along with contact information to all of the state boards.

Most states have a policy in place for accepting foreign certificates, they may review your work expirience and based on that determine whether you have to sit for their exam or will simply grant your license with the appropriate fee.

Currently all states require a license for nail technology, ther are a couple of states that are reviewing current law and may have changes, most of those are midwestern states.

NIC home page has valuable information about testing and licensing requirements along with contact information to all of the state boards.

Most states have a policy in place for accepting foreign certificates, they may review your work expirience and based on that determine whether you have to sit for their exam or will simply grant your license with the appropriate fee.

Thats brilliant Jeni thanks :hug:

Latest posts

Back