Working mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shell28

Reaction score
I know this has been covered before but im looking for more advice from mobile/home based nail technicians.

I know some of you are very successfull and just wondered what you secret was?!?!

How did you get where you are today? How did you build your client base? What was your best form of advertising? How long did it take you to get established?

Sorry for all the questions but i really want 2009 to be a succesful year for me and i want to know that im doing all that i can to make it work:green:

hi well i can tell you about how i got started, i worked part-time in a local shop and i told all my work mate what i was doing and most of them came to me for to get there nails done, and well they asked if i would do there friends nails and well it went from there. i don't put ads in the in the paper cos all my clients are referrals from other clients and well it works for me cos i know who is coming to my house.... but if you need and more help just pm me ok....

Thanx for the advise hun the trouble i have is my friends all have small children and have no interest in having there nails done:rolleyes: so i cant advertise that way!! I only have one friend whos nails i do and people have commented on them but shes usless LOL and just sayd me mate does them!! xx

ok well maybe you could have some business cards printed up and ask some of the local shops if you can leave some there. or maybe aske your friends if they are interested in having a mancure done, its great for natural nails. and offer to the the following deal if they get two clients for you they get their nails done free! some times that helps when you know your getting something for nothing....

ok well maybe you could have some business cards printed up and ask some of the local shops if you can leave some there. or maybe aske your friends if they are interested in having a mancure done, its great for natural nails. and offer to the the following deal if they get two clients for you they get their nails done free! some times that helps when you know your getting something for nothing....

Hi doll Business cards can be done free on the vistaprint and you only have to pay for the p&p. pm me your email and I can sent you a link for vista print... Good Luck xx:)

Heres what im doing so far maybe you can tell me if im missing something?!

I have a website
I advertise on lots of free sites
I have add in local news agents
I have delivered over 500 postcards round my area
I have just introduced a client loyalty scheme
I always have my nails done to show my skills:)

I have business cards printed,brouchures,postcards.

I even asked the local hairdressers if they would take my cards (they wouldnt) and also we have a bridal shop in our village so asked them too ( they wouldnt)!!!

Heres what im doing so far maybe you can tell me if im missing something?!

I have a website
I advertise on lots of free sites
I have add in local news agents
I have delivered over 500 postcards round my area
I have just introduced a client loyalty scheme
I always have my nails done to show my skills:)

I have business cards printed,brouchures,postcards.

I even asked the local hairdressers if they would take my cards (they wouldnt) and also we have a bridal shop in our village so asked them too ( they wouldnt)!!!

maybe you could offer a discount to both shops if they take your cards,
i really do think that if you start with some sort of offer pm me if you need more help:)

Is there no-one in your family who can wear your nails too?

Does your friend pay for her nails? if so offer her a deal on her nails for every (So many) clients she brings in.

Thanx for the advise hun the trouble i have is my friends all have small children and have no interest in having there nails done:rolleyes: so i cant advertise that way!! I only have one friend whos nails i do and people have commented on them but shes usless LOL and just sayd me mate does them!! xx

well like sknight said offer your friend a discount and give her some of your cards to give out, and tell her you really dont mind if she tells any one who did her nails as its good for you too....

Hello my success is due to word of mouth but it really kicked off when I joined a weight club and people noticed my nails explained that I was a qualifed beauty tech and its has grown from there have given loads of incentives to the girls as for every stone they loose I offer half price and they keep coming to me. Maybe if you have weight in classes in the village you could provide the weight in consultant with an incentive plus put your flyers, business cards etc

sounds like you're doing all the right things, web site, free ads, keeping your nails done.

word of mouth has worked all the way for me and a free listing in yellow pages. if you can get just one person hooked then they will always have firends or relatives to introduce. i also sell gift vouchers and my family have been great at buying them off me to give to their friends for birthdays etc and as long as you do a great job they will definately rebook or think of you before going to a salon - get the clients you have in a routine. give them a business card, make sure your numbers in their mobile, rebook their next appointment or remind them when its due.

iv been working mobile for over a year now its going great, first 6 months were very slow. if you just keep doing what you are doing as soon as summer comes round business should really pick up. do you offer enhancements, manicure & pedicures? everyone loves a pedicure!

hope this helps xx

I've had a really good response from school fayres. I usually do kiddies nailart and get enough money on the day to cover my time, plus I actively market my business to the mums (primary schools are the best for this as the mums always hang around the table waiting for the kids). I also run a free prize draw with treatments as the prizes. Mums have to fill in their details on a card and then I pick a few to win free treatments. 9 out of 10 winners of nail enhancements have turned into regular clients so it works out very well for me.

You may think that all the fayres are now over with Christmas being finished, but get the phone book out as soon as the school holidays are over and make calls to get contact details for the people in charge of events. The dates are now being set for Spring and Summer Fayres so sort out these bookings in advance to make sure you're all set :)

Cheers,
Hazel

Just a quick note.

When I started out I noticed I wasn't getting much back from the sets done on my friends & family, then found out that they were never sure whether to give my number out or not (you know how people are about that nowadays) so I had to stress to them that it is ok to give my details out and that was the purpose of their nails.

Sometimes people just need a shove or a bit of incentive to tell all and sundrie about your work. :)

Latest posts

Back