Working mums

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMills

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just wondering what everyones routines etc are with work and child care. I always said prior to babies that they would not change my life and routines but boy was I wrong.its all a bit of a juggling act, so thought we could all make each other feel better to share our crazy hectic daily routines :p

My normal day- madness!! Lol!!

Start 6 am - up and ready, doing a washing load, wake up cherubs and feed them! Make a lunches Washed and ready - take the to school.

Go to work- be nice to loads of people and sell loads of products, go home., pick kids up, be a taxi to number if clubs or avtivities, feed them (again) homework, tidy up, bath, story. Do some washing and ironing. Watch come dine with me
Tidy up more, do husbands paperwork, feed myself, do some homework, (studying reflexology and NLP) . CRASH OUT about 11 !!!

Pregnant with baby no 3 now so its VERY tiresome now!!

This is actually really helpful for me and wld like ppls views and help if poss, I am a mobile beauty therapist and nail tech business is doing well still have some weeks quieter then others so money wise it's a bit up and down, I don't want children myself but have several nieces and nephews and I have been very hands on with them so I don't feel I've missed out on any thing, my bt sister who I am v close with as I have been through a lot of emotional bits through the years with has asked me if I would look after her little girl 4 days a week when she goes bk to work and she will pay me as she has had trouble finding child care and trusts me more then anyone, my mum said if I had to pop out to do some waxing or treatments she wouldn't mind looking after baby for me, what does everyone think, I have no problems with looking after her she is lovely and I have put up with the odd tantrum already and she telly is no trouble I know it sounds a little selfish but I just don't want my business to suffer Fridays and saturdays wld still b free for me to do all day, thoughts anyone? X

Hi

Im very hands on with my nephew and personally Id say no to 4 days! Its just soo much when you are trying to build your client base I guess it depends how much you want to build it up? Could you spilt the days with your mom you do 3 days she does 2 that way if you could do monday and tuesday from what I gather (as I havnt been tanning very long) mondays and tuesday are generally quite?

xx

My mornings have to be run like clockwork! If breakfast hasn't been eaten by 7.35 am I know I'm going to be late for work. My kids are 16 and 11 so don't need me to help with getting ready but I never have a spare minute before work! I do make them get there uniforms, school bags etc ready the night before. I can't remember how I managed when they were little!

This is actually really helpful for me and wld like ppls views and help if poss, I am a mobile beauty therapist and nail tech business is doing well still have some weeks quieter then others so money wise it's a bit up and down, I don't want children myself but have several nieces and nephews and I have been very hands on with them so I don't feel I've missed out on any thing, my bt sister who I am v close with as I have been through a lot of emotional bits through the years with has asked me if I would look after her little girl 4 days a week when she goes bk to work and she will pay me as she has had trouble finding child care and trusts me more then anyone, my mum said if I had to pop out to do some waxing or treatments she wouldn't mind looking after baby for me, what does everyone think, I have no problems with looking after her she is lovely and I have put up with the odd tantrum already and she telly is no trouble I know it sounds a little selfish but I just don't want my business to suffer Fridays and saturdays wld still b free for me to do all day, thoughts anyone? X

I would say no , esp to 4 days, that is a huge commitment!! What happens if your ill? Or a client wants is desperate for a day you have the baby?

You would have to choose between being a childminder or a mobile tech?

It's not easy looking after children and it will be difficult to push your business while looking after a child! All your energy will go on the baby! Believe me!! I used to have my nephew once a week and it was a lot harder than looking after my own children!!
On the other hand, its a fantastic opportunity to be a huge part of her life.

Thanks for your advice ladies it's much appreciated, I don't really want to put on my mum as I have seen my sisters put on her a lot and it wears her out so I swore I wld never do that ( I mean by my mum having their children full time while my sisters work ) I do like to b everything to everyone which I now is nt possible and I feel because the baby's dad is not as hands on as he should be I try to take some of the strain off of her, do you think it would be fair to have say a trial period see how I cope and manage things or not really?

Is there any way you and your mum could do two days each? Also will it really be worth your sisters while to go back to work and pay you? As unless your ofstead registered she won't get any help towards childcare??
It may be worth doing a trial, but you will need to make sure that you have a goodback up, as it can take a long time getting a good childcare.

Oh I hate to be negative, but I just know how hard it is. You are truly doing a wonderful thing offering to help, but sometimes we have to remember that we can't do everything x

7am get up, shower, cup of tea, watch 10 mins of telly while putting face on
7:45 get kids up, make breakfast, lunches, get little one dressed, washed etc.
8:45 leave house, take kids to school
9.00 first mobile appt through to 3.00pm. If any breaks inbetween, do shopping, go to bank to pay in cheques, clean house.
3.15 collect kids
3.30 home, give starving kids snack, do homework with them, take to clubs etc.
5.00 kids dinner time.
6.00 kids bath
7.00 recreation
8.00 kids in bed, do ironing, mopping, quiet cleaning tasks
9.00 watch telly or play on iPad
11.00 bed with iPad.
12.00 sleep

Good for you for helping. I do think maybe 4 days might be too much, but you can always see. Your sister could always look at nursery for 2 of the days and you the other two. I have a 9 month and work from home I'm managing fine. And some days I have my sisters kids but it's fun. And like you said your mum has offered to help when you have work.

Thanks for your advice ladies it's much appreciated, I don't really want to put on my mum as I have seen my sisters put on her a lot and it wears her out so I swore I wld never do that ( I mean by my mum having their children full time while my sisters work ) I do like to b everything to everyone which I now is nt possible and I feel because the baby's dad is not as hands on as he should be I try to take some of the strain off of her, do you think it would be fair to have say a trial period see how I cope and manage things or not really?

You are very kind helping out your sister

But, correct me if I've got this the wrong way round. . . her child, she wants to return to work to earn money, so happy to give YOU that responsibility so YOU can't do the same thing that SHE wants to do even though YOU don't have any children (responsibility) and SHE does?

I know emotional closeness and trusting you to look after her child and not wanting to put on Mum and everything come into it too, but basically this is the bare bones of it?

I'm a real softie but just don't like to see people taken advantage of

You have no children and don't want any so you have ABSOLUTELY every opportunity to put in 100% and make a real go of things for yourself . . . you really can't be expected to fulfill the role of childminder, much as you love your niece

Taking the mick hun, just be careful what you agree to. :hug:

Yes, that's about the size of it ( I am soo sorry for hijacking this post ) its so obvious when u take a step back and look at ur own situation from someone else's point of view, I am definitely going to do a trial run because I won't know until I try but I am going to tell her that it is a trial run and if it does start to have ill effect on me or my business then I shall speak up!

I have 4 children age 1,2,5,7

I get up 7.30, shower, make up and a diet coke

Get kids up at 8. Dress them and give them breakfast

9 drop them at school

Mon, tues, wed my partner and I share delivering parcels as a courier and the other looks after the two babies from 9.30-2.30

3 pick up kids from school

4.30 give children tea

5.30 bath 4 kids

6.30 put kids to bed

7 -11 I do mobile appointments if required. I sometimes has 3 sometimes none

Thurs and Friday exactly the same but my partner does the parcels while I'm in my new salon from 9.30- 4. I do 5 tans every Thursday evening and an eyelash infill x Friday I do mobile at night if required usually a few tans or party lashes. Saturday im in salon 9-5 and my partner has all 4 children. I don't work Saturday nights, family night Saturday nights. Sunday I do the washing and ironig and a big clean and roast but from 3pm I do nothing! But play with the kids, watch tv and mess on my phone

We juggle juggle juggle but it works for us and we are all happy. X

I have 4 children age 1,2,5,7

I get up 7.30, shower, make up and a diet coke

Get kids up at 8. Dress them and give them breakfast

9 drop them at school

Mon, tues, wed my partner and I share delivering parcels as a courier and the other looks after the two babies from 9.30-2.30

3 pick up kids from school

4.30 give children tea

5.30 bath 4 kids

6.30 put kids to bed

7 -11 I do mobile appointments if required. I sometimes has 3 sometimes none

Thurs and Friday exactly the same but my partner does the parcels while I'm in my new salon from 9.30- 4. I do 5 tans every Thursday evening and an eyelash infill x Friday I do mobile at night if required usually a few tans or party lashes. Saturday im in salon 9-5 and my partner has all 4 children. I don't work Saturday nights, family night Saturday nights. Sunday I do the washing and ironig and a big clean and roast but from 3pm I do nothing! But play with the kids, watch tv and mess on my phone

We juggle juggle juggle but it works for us and we are all happy. X

You are super women!

And I moan about having one lol!!x

You are super women!

And I moan about having one lol!!x

So many people say this. BUT I have the most amazing partner even if he is annoying.he daily does ironing, washing, shopping, cleaning x He is constantly looking after me and checking I'm ok, I have a couple of illness' including type 1 diabetes and he is up an hr before me everyday so he can get me breakfast and potch about c we both work hard and I can't take all the credit x

Latest posts

Back