Working on your day off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffydreams

Reaction score
Hi geeks, just a quick question.
I am self employed and rent a room in a salon.
I have Sunday & Monday off work every week, that is my weekend and I feel I need that time to do housework, social things etc.

However, I seem to get a barrage of phone calls every Monday asking for an appointment, (usually from new clients)
I find it really difficult to say no to them and end up working even if its only a few hours. Today I'm going in 3.30 til 7.

I think, this is my time but then if the work is there, take it.
I am always stuck as what to do. Sometimes I politely tell the client that I don't work Mondays and ask them if Tuesday is suitable but some are so forceful and basically say they need it now.

What would you do? Accept the work or refuse it?

We all need our own time too. And at least you offer them an alternative when you need to.

I had a voucher for a tan an massage off a friend of mine so phoned up to book an apt an the lady was very rude an said 'I don't work Monday call me back on Wednesday' an she hung up I was go smacked I mean even if she didn't work that day she should still have checked her diary.
Just an experience I wanted to share.

Hi geeks, just a quick question.
I am self employed and rent a room in a salon.
I have Sunday & Monday off work every week, that is my weekend and I feel I need that time to do housework, social things etc.

However, I seem to get a barrage of phone calls every Monday asking for an appointment, (usually from new clients)
I find it really difficult to say no to them and end up working even if its only a few hours. Today I'm going in 3.30 til 7.

I think, this is my time but then if the work is there, take it.
I am always stuck as what to do. Sometimes I politely tell the client that I don't work Mondays and ask them if Tuesday is suitable but some are so forceful and basically say they need it now.

What would you do? Accept the work or refuse it?

Stick to your guns hun! If they didn't get their 2 days a week off there would be hell to pay! It's common knowledge that a lot of salons are shut Monday. Well traditionally at least.
In my area most are shut Sunday and Monday with a half day Wednesday.
Just do what you have in the past and offer alternate days, or as I do, my mobile has an answer machine that starts with "sorry I can't take your call now, please leave name as number and I will call you back at my next available chance, please note I am closed Sunday and Tuesday"
On my off days I turn the phone off so they go straight to answer phone, I give myself 20 mins on Monday and Wednesday to call them back in the mornings, and if no answer then I leave a vmail with name and number and add sorry I missed your call on Sunday/ Wednesday, if it's a Monday call back I remind them Wednesday is shut.

That way no more calls on days off.
My days off are for me, I won't even talk hair to family xoxo

hi, I nearly always end up working on my days off.
I try and get them to book in on a day that I work but if its not possible I book them in on 1 of my days off. I can't afford to turn clients away. xx

I'm in the same position. I've been trying to keep Monday's as my day off for weeks but every Monday I've had quite a few booked in. What I've found is if you book clients in once on a certain day, they like to to keep their appointments on that certain day, say in two weeks time. So stick to your guns from the start. We need days off too :) xxx

I only have sundays off, i dont seem to have any time off! Clients may be forceful, but im running a buisness, so il try fitting them in my working hours.

Im an insominac and i find it increasingly difficult if i cant take days off, but i try to book everything in advance and when i want say my birthday off or a lazy bank hoilday i take it off. I get people to cover etc.

I think the main thing is to stick to your opening hours, as i have loadsa bridals and tv work in my spare time thus me not really having any days off. But i made a terms and conditions outside my opening hours, so i had a minimum charge of £100 per person, so i had something to look forward to...."i aint gettin outa bed for less that £100...hehe!"

xoxo

It is so hard to say no isn't it! I'm in the same boat and for the last five years I've bent over backwards to fit people in as you do want to do the right thing and build a good client base. BUT, there comes a point when it all gets a bit much and actually, they don't really care that it's your day off - they just want their nails done at their convenience and I'm not knocking that, we all have busy lives and want to get things done when we can in our own time. But that is the point - you must have your own time! Otherwise you may end up resenting people (I did!). I have now become much more strict. I have my days I work - I do my best to fit people in and please people, but I have MY time off to. I must say I am so much happier now. Could you let the phone calls on a Monday go to answer phone, then ring people back later and offer an appointment on the days you do work?

I always find if I say yes but let them know that I don't normally work Monday's they are really appreciative that you have took time out to go in for them and because I let them know I won't be open Monday's they book the Tuesday instead.
I've had extra clients come because people have passed my name on for accommodating them.
It's not ideal I guess but if I don't have anything else on I may aswell make a few squidlies on the side.
You are well with in your rights to politely say your not in work but would be happy to book them in another time, as others have said the client wouldn't appreciate been called into work on there days off!
X

There seems to be a lot of demand for appointments on Mondays. I do get alot of calls on Mondays. Like you, I don't work on Sundays and Mondays because the hair salon where my room is closed.

I don't mind answering and booking people in on my day of as I think people just go through their "to do" lists on Mondays, sorting themselves out for the week. I do feel bad turning down appointments though. If the salon didnt close on Mondays, I would happily go in.

How about if you worked every other Monday? Cash is cash the end of the day. It also depends on how much you have to do at home.

We are a service industry and people don't really think about whether it is our day off or not.

I havent read all the above answers so sorry if someone has already said this, but if you find that you get a lot of calls for Monday appointments, why dont you have Sunday and say Tuesday off (or another day that is not as busy during the week). I DONT work Sundays and another day in the week-usually Saturday (I pick each week what day that will be) and I stick to it. We need down time and 'me' time. People will always more often than not be free on another day. Appreciate yourself honey.
x

Latest posts

Back