Working out cost per treatment!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calminginfluenc

Reaction score
I've done a quick search, I found the why's but not the how's!!

I'm trying to work out my costing for everything but without having actually used anything till empty I'm struggling on how to work out how many treatments to spread my stock over if that makes sense? Or even if that's the way to do it? Do you just divide it up by a specific number so you can include shipping?

I work from home someone once said about adding electricity etc, I've been told that you don't if it's a home salon? That's why your costs are lower? Surely that can't be right?

I am going to do a course my local tax office has offered but I think that's going to be more book keeping than costing!

I'll admit I was a fool and have already worked out my prices based on local competition and what I think I am worth, as advised by my tutor.
I'm soon to be adding microdermabrasion and have been advised that the costing for this is about £15 and to charge roughly £35-65, for a half hour treatment charge the same price as your facial, I only charge £25 for an hour facial with Eve Taylor products and I'm now worried that I've done it all wrong!! (I have a habit of being a but upside down when I do things!)

I know a lot of prices are based on area I've done some research into md and can't find any other therapists offering, at fist I thought ooh it will give me an advantage now I'm concerned that its just because it's not popular or financially worth it down here!

Sorry gone a little off track there!!

Last edited:
If you contact the manufacturers they should be able to supply you with a cost breakdown detailing how much each treatment costs you.

Then you can work out from there your overheads etc. hth

Ahh brilliant! I hadn't thought of that! Certainly takes the stress away from me working it out!!!

Thank you xx

I worked out the product cost for every single treatment I offer right down to each square of couch roll, gloves cotton pads.

I then added all my salons other outgoing goings together (a months worth) divided it by 28 (days - over estimated)I then divided by the number of hours the salon is open per day then i have the total cost per opening hour the salons overheads cost me.

I cut it down to work out 15 minutes or half hour etc.

I added the costs of products, etc to the salons over head costs, worked out how much the staff would cost to do the treatment. Now I know never to go below that amount when putting offers on. All of my treatments are priced to cover all costs and make a profit.

I guesstimated with the wax but most of the suppliers were really helpful with cost per service.

X

I think it might take me a while! It's working out exactly how much I use of everything that's stumping me! I might over estimate for now just to be safe!

Thanks for your advice guys! 😊

You know what I'm doing over the bank holiday don't you!!!!

I worked out the product cost for every single treatment I offer right down to each square of couch roll, gloves cotton pads.

I then added all my salons other outgoing goings together (a months worth) divided it by 28 (days - over estimated)I then divided by the number of hours the salon is open per day then i have the total cost per opening hour the salons overheads cost me.

I cut it down to work out 15 minutes or half hour etc.

I added the costs of products, etc to the salons over head costs, worked out how much the staff would cost to do the treatment. Now I know never to go below that amount when putting offers on. All of my treatments are priced to cover all costs and make a profit.

I guesstimated with the wax but most of the suppliers were really helpful with cost per service.

X
Sorry to sound thick, but how did you actually work out the cost of each treatment? How do you know how much a splash for nail varnish remover for example costs?

Till I have actually used a bottle fully I'm going to try and guess the minimum I could do with one bottle if I can't do that then send an email to the supplier and ask them to do it for me!
It's going to take me an age though! Lol x

Sorry to sound thick, but how did you actually work out the cost of each treatment? How do you know how much a splash for nail varnish remover for example costs?

Take the cost of a full bottle. Divide it by the mls in the bottle and times by the mls you use in a treatment. So if you use 5mls of remover you know how much it costs and equally if you use 126mls of remover... you know how much it costs :)

I think this is a really good point to get people to know exactly how much each service you do costs I know roughly but now trying to make a more accurate cost sheet x

Latest posts

Back