Working out the dimensions of your workstation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bimbogeri

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a formula or just list of measurements for the 'ideal' workstation?
I've been trying to work out the measurements for:
  • ideal distance between therapist and client (depth of table)
  • ideal width of workspace for fitting in a clear working area + space for everything that needs to be set out
  • ideal difference in height between seat and top of table
  • ideal height of seat to allow for a pedicure, inc the length of drop between the knee and the feet into a pedicure bowl/foot spa, and the length of drop between the knee and the feet when resting for treatments
I know distances will varying depending on the height and body proportions of a client (which means adjustable height stools/chairs I guess), but wondered if anyone had rough ideas?

The measurements I've come up with are roughly 50cm table depth, difference between seat height and table height as roughly 28-30cm, and the drop between the knee and feet in a pedicure bowl (so minimum height of the seat) as 35-40 cm.

I'd be interested to know what other people's experiences are. Certainly for my home salon I can't afford a separate pedicure station, so am looking at getting a high bar/bench rather than a table so that people are on seats high enough to be able to perform a pedicure with (them up high, me on a smaller seat below them), but struggling to find a bench and stool combo that matches my measurements.
Do some people perform pedicures with their clients legs right out straight in from of them (rather than at, say, a 120ish degree angle at the knee)? I can only assume that's what you have to do with those mobile mani-pedi stations that have the drawers underneath a seat with a swing-up tray/armrest, or working in someone's home at a normal-height table.

I also came up with the 'depth of workstation' measurement by placing the arm rest directly in the middle between therapist and client, but have noticed that on the workstations that come with a built-in arm rest (and why the hell are those things so expensive?! The workmanship in the cheapest ones is less than you'd get in a computer desk from Argos, but they're four times the price!! But that's a rant for another day.......) that the armrest is right on the edge of the desk, on the furthest edge from the manicurist, leaving the client no area to rest their elbows on. Surely that's not right?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Lol x

Hiya,

My hubby made my table. All he did was copy the dimensions out of the beauty express book for the table I wanted and copied it.

Latest posts

Back