Working with a chronic illness

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movingforward

Reaction score
hi I hope someone can give me advice and honest replies please. I worked as a beauty therapist and enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately I became very ill and for the past 12 years Iv not worked due to a chronic illness I have. Iv found it so hard because I was always so ambitious and this illness has has taken away and stopped so much of my life. My two young children are at school and I spend my days either feeling quite well and having nothing to do but sit indoors on my own or I’m feeling really ill in bed.

I’m desperately wanting to work again and trying to think of ways I could do this. My condition causes me to at short notice get very poorly where I can become bedbound for a day or a couple of weeks,but I also have phases where I can do quite normal things aslong as I don’t over do it.

due to the unpredictable nature of my illness I just decided I couldn’t work again yes there are lots of days I physically can’t work but I know I also have a lot of fear now stopping me, as I worry all I’ll do is let people down.

However I really want to get some quality of life back i would love to work doing clients and being social again but I’m trying to think of a way I could do this giving the nature of my illness.

I can’t do over strenuous things like waxing any more but I’d love to get into microblading but also more holistic therapies.

I was thinking something like I could have some kind of system where I could contact clients( once there built up) on the day offering discounted treatments if they can attend that day, or I’m trying to think say if I booked someone in and had to cancel on them then I could offer something for the inconvenience.

Sorry for the long message I just hope someone can help I’m 34 and just don’t want to spend the rest of my life this way Many thanks

I can relate massively. I have ME. I was diagnosed just under two years ago and it takes a lot of getting used to emotionally, mentally and practically.

Time has helped a lot regarding the above. I used to work in spas. Physical work, long shifts, a few days in a row. Now that's not possible. I probably won't massage again and stuff like waxing, it depends on the size of the area and what the demands are on my mobility.

Something that has helped me is to hone in on what I can do. Makeup and nails have always been my main interest anyway. I just went down the spa route because that's where the work was at the time when I wasn't ill and had the option.

No matter what you do, chronic illness makes a massive change to your life and what you do with it. In my experience, it's been a very intense learning curve. It doesn't get easier but I think the more it becomes part of your reality, the easier it becomes to work with the condition rather than feel that you have to work against it. In other words, do what is comfortable and don't feel guilty for it.

Thanks so much for your reply, ME is one of my illnesses so I totally understand you!
I feel I need to work for myself but I’m so scared about letting clients down it’s stopping me.
How do you manage this dude if things?
Do you work for yourself now?
Thanks x

Thanks so much for your reply, ME is one of my illnesses so I totally understand you!
I feel I need to work for myself but I’m so scared about letting clients down it’s stopping me.
How do you manage this dude if things?
Do you work for yourself now?
Thanks x

I'm currently on a break and not sure what the future holds. But I keep my morale good by doing what I can on myself and friends when I feel able to.

Self employment would probably make the most sense. I think it's also worth thinking about what else can be done entirely from home and not people facing at set appointment times.

Hello!
I can relate to you. I have Rheumatoid arthritis which can flare up at any time. The medication I’m on also causes a lot of infections, despite controlling the disease.
Thankfully, most people know this, and accept that one day I might have to cancel. However, if I know I have a lot of hospital appointments or I’m not well, I just simply comment on my social media that there are no appointments left. It’s not good for business sometimes, however you need to look after yourself so you can be well enough for your family and then your clients.
It’s a tough balance. Just be honest and most clients will accept it. Xx

I'm currently on a break and not sure what the future holds. But I keep my morale good by doing what I can on myself and friends when I feel able to.

Self employment would probably make the most sense. I think it's also worth thinking about what else can be done entirely from home and not people facing at set appointment times.

That’s a great idea doing on friends and family!

What do u mean with doing something entirely from home do you mean something completely different hun?

Xxx

Hello!
I can relate to you. I have Rheumatoid arthritis which can flare up at any time. The medication I’m on also causes a lot of infections, despite controlling the disease.
Thankfully, most people know this, and accept that one day I might have to cancel. However, if I know I have a lot of hospital appointments or I’m not well, I just simply comment on my social media that there are no appointments left. It’s not good for business sometimes, however you need to look after yourself so you can be well enough for your family and then your clients.
It’s a tough balance. Just be honest and most clients will accept it. Xx

Hi it’s good to hear others working despite there difficulties

When you say you comment through social media to inform your unavailable, how do you mean? I’m new to all this when I last worked I advertised via business cards and arranged appointments through the phone , lol...

Because I never know how I’ll be to the day Iv been really trying so hard to think of a way I can book clients on the day, advertise somehow say to clients once there built up... but I don’t know how that can be done.

I do like your idea of saying you booked up when your unwell To!

Thanks xx

That’s a great idea doing on friends and family!

What do u mean with doing something entirely from home do you mean something completely different hun?

Xxx

Yep something completely different.

The limitations of this industry in relation to my illness are the ones you've mentioned re knowing if you'll feel well enough to keep an appointment. Anything people facing can be difficult to maintain when you're not well so I think it's definitely worth looking at things that will be compatible with your illness whilst enjoying beauty in a way that is manageable for you.

Sorry know this is a few weeks old but just stumbled across it. Have you thought about doing something like reflexology? I think doing holistic treatments is a great idea as if you had to cancel you wouldn't be letting down someone too much for example if they were having their lashes done for a special occasion or something. I think start doing friends and family to get you back into the swing of things and also to see how much work your body can cope with xx

I think being reliable matters no matter what the service is. I agree that doing friends and family is worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back