Working with a chronic illness

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movingforward

Reaction score
hi I hope someone can give me advice and honest replies please. I worked as a beauty therapist and enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately I became very ill and for the past 12 years Iv not worked due to a chronic illness I have. Iv found it so hard because I was always so ambitious and this illness has has taken away and stopped so much of my life. My two young children are at school and I spend my days either feeling quite well and having nothing to do but sit indoors on my own or I’m feeling really ill in bed.

I’m desperately wanting to work again and trying to think of ways I could do this. My condition causes me to at short notice get very poorly where I can become bedbound for a day or a couple of weeks,but I also have phases where I can do quite normal thingsaslong as I don’t over do it.

due to the unpredictable nature of my illness I just decided I couldn’t work again yes there are lots of days I physically can’t work but I know I also have a lot of fear now stopping me, as I worry all I’ll do is let people down.

However I really want to get some quality of life back i would love to work doing clients and being social again but I’m trying to think of a way I could do this giving the nature of my illness.

I can’t do over strenuous things like waxing any more but I’d love to get into microblading but also more holistic therapies.

I was thinking something like I could have some kind of system where I could contact clients( once there built up) on the day offering discounted treatments if they can attend that day, or I’m trying to think say if I booked someone in and had to cancel on them then I could offer something for the inconvenience.

Sorry for the long message I just hope someone can help I’m 34 and just don’t want to spend the rest of my life this way Many thanks

I fully sympathise. I have a chronic health condition, which fortunately is now under control by medication but for years it stopped me doing so many things, including building my beauty business, as I was unwell most of the time.

This is only my opinion and I really hope you get more replies to give you useful advice.

As you have had such a long break (as I did), you might want to consider doing some refresher courses, unless you are still confident with your techniques. This is what I did. In the end I even went back to college to finish my level 3!

I'm not trained in microblading but I hear it takes a long time and loads of practice to produce great results. It's expensive to train also. If you dont think you'll be able to work that many hours a week, would it be cost effective do you think? I must admit that's what's put me off so far.

After reading your post I'm getting the idea that you want to get back into beauty more for yourself than to necessarily make loads of money? (Although of course that's always a plus too!). If that's the case, would you Consider mainly offering your treatments to family and friends who understand your situation? You might find it difficult to build a regular client base from the general public if you are often only able to offer treatments on the day, or regularly cancel appointments. Friends and family might be more understanding and not expect you to offer anything for the inconvenience either! It's a very competitive industry and loyalty can take a long time to build so even if you give a fantastic treatment, if it's not straight forward for them to come back when they want to, they might just go elsewhere.

I hope I haven't sounded too negative? It's only that I remember how hard it was when my condition wasn't under control. I do feel though that if it's something you really want to do then you should go for it! Just do it in a way that will work for you, take it slowly and see how it goes! Good luck!

Latest posts

Back