World Aids Day

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lellipop

Lelli Loo Loo
Reaction score
Today is World Aids Day

UK STATISTICS
Last updated: November 2005

Estimated number of people living with HIV > 58,300

HIV cases diagnosed in 2004 7,275

Increase in the number of cases from 2000 50%

Looks like things are getting much worse in the Uk. :rolleyes:

Isnt it sad that with all the education that we receive about AIDS that still it continues to spread.

Rachel Mary said:
Isnt it sad that with all the education that we receive about AIDS that still it continues to spread.

What shocked me is just here in the uk there as been a 50% increase :(
Our people just not listening to all the advice.:rolleyes:

Wow - thats really shocked me!!

This is really awful....and the thought that we are fetching our own children up in to it all really does scare me.
One of my clients lost her son at 20 years old to HIV... he got it from a girl 6 months prior to him dying and the girl is still walking the streets and sleeping around without a care in the world. Aparently she is just a carrier.
I have also heard all kinds of horror stories of people being injected with the virus from needles in cinema seats with notes attached saying 'you have just got HIV'.
How awful can you get?
All you can say is 'why'?

Yes On Our Local News Today They Said There Had Been An Increase In Norfolk Quite A High One!

So Sad:(

Caz Xxx

When your children are at an age to be told about the birds and the bees then this is the best time to educate them. So many parents shy away from the subject due to the fact of them being embarrased or rather their children being embarrased. Surely being embarrased for a short while is so much better than losing someone you love to a heartbreaking disease. I lost such a dear friend Jessie 11 years ago through this disease. It was the most upsetting thing watching his so called friends shun him and just drop him out of their lives when all they had to do was to put their arms round him, give him a cuddle and tell him that they loved him and explain their fears so he could get a better understanding of what they were thinking about him and the disease. Slowly he deteriorated to the point of where he had a tube permanently inserted into his chest so he could take his medication. We had one last night painting the town pink and not long afterwards he passed over to a more peaceful place. I was so proud to have him as my friend, he bought so much laughter into this world. What really annoys me now is that the pharmacutical companies are sitting on a cure whilst new born babies who are the future are dying of AIDS and it all boils down to money.
Protect yourselves and the people around you with education.
David

Cute Tips said:
This is really awful....and the thought that we are fetching our own children up in to it all really does scare me.
One of my clients lost her son at 20 years old to HIV... he got it from a girl 6 months prior to him dying and the girl is still walking the streets and sleeping around without a care in the world. Aparently she is just a carrier.
I have also heard all kinds of horror stories of people being injected with the virus from needles in cinema seats with notes attached saying 'you have just got HIV'.
How awful can you get?
All you can say is 'why'?

I'm sorry to hear about your client's son but i honestly believe she has misled you in some way. He did not die of "HIV" and she is not a "carrier". i can see what you mean but this is a little misleading. Your client's son died of AIDS. AIDS is caused by the HIV virus. To say his girlfriend is a carrier is not quite true (i once carried salmonella but did develop the illness, that's the true definition of a carrier). You are either HIV+ or HIV- and there is no inbetween. most of us on here are HIV- (thankfully) but his girlfriend is HIV+, she doesn't carry it in the same way as a cold germ when you don't get the cold. She WILL develop AIDS eventually.

HIV and AIDS are different things. HIV is the virus that causes AIDS, and technically you don't die of that either. AIDS is an immune deficiency which basically means when you get a cold you die from it because your body's defences have been destroyed by the HIV virus. That's why when you die of AIDS they don't list AIDS as the cause of death, but the cause is more likely to be listed as pnuemonia.

However, with drugs you can carry the virus up to 20 years without developing AIDS. Without drugs it can be up to 10 years. Most people do not know they are HIV+ until 10 years down the line when they develop AIDS. Once you get AIDS i think i am right in saying it is about 8+ months before you die. When you get AIDS the virus has been doing its nasty little work for some time. it is very unusual to catch HIV and then die of AIDS within 6 months. That would mean the virus caused so much damage within the first few weeks of him catching it that he developed AIDS, which is really unusual, as the nature of the disease is normally to sit dormant in a blood cell for years before it activates. I think it is more likely that your client has chosen to feel bitter towards this girl and blamed her for the terrible loss of her son. i think it is more likely that he was HIV+ prior to meeting this girl if he died within 6 months of meeting her. This is only an observation and not meant to upset you in anyway or say she's not telling the truth, i'm just saying it really unlikely it was this particular girl that gave it to him and this is my observation. hope i haven't offended you.

People should not be afraid to use condoms and neither should they be embarressed to use condoms....I was chatting to one of the young girlsin the salon about casual sex and stuff and she only really thought about being on the pill to stop her from getting pregnant...so I said what about condoms to stop you from getting a STI...she'd never thought about it.....chlamidia is high up there in the STI stakes too....you can have no symptoms but the consequences can be equally devestating!

i happen to know that 1 in 7 people have got chlamydia. That's 200 people from my office block alone!

Toni Talons said:
i happen to know that 1 in 7 people have got chlamydia. That's 200 people from my office block alone!

I know another shocker why dont they just use condoms or not do it.

Lellipop said:
I know another shocker why dont they just use condoms or not do it.

because everyone's the same.. . we all think it won't happen to us.

Latest posts

Back