Worried about Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannah91

Reaction score
Hi all!

Have been doing Gels for about 2 years now and first trained using Calgel and then Jessica Geleration. Have become self employed with a business partner and after weeks researching, we decided we would use Gelish in our salon. We found this to be a popular, reliable brand and we loved the colours range so we purchased a variety of colours.

I'm just a bit worried because we are both finding Gelish peels off very easily from the free edge and side walls. I had previously had a colour on for 4 days and they started lifting. They felt really soft and just peeled clean off which I've never experienced with GELeration. Just had a txt from a client saying 3 nails have chipped and 1 has lifted under a week! Also went in to a local Salon Services shop who said that we "hadn't picked the best gels to use" and they had a lot of people try to return the gels for the same reason.

These are my steps:

- Thoroughly remove excess cuticle with CND cuticle away
- Deactivate CND cuticle away
- lightly buff surface shine
- Wipe over with Gelish nail cleanser
- apply PH bond
- Thin layer of foundation making sure to almost scrub" into the nail plate
- cap free edge
- 2/3 thin layers of gelish colour capping free edge after every coat
- 1 layer of Gelish top it off
- cap free edge
- wipe over with nail cleanser
- Apply Gelish cuticle oil

Standard procedure? Making sure I'm not getting any gel near the skin or cuticle. Should also mention I use the Gelish 18G LED lamp.

Can anyone offer some advice? I've heard some brilliant things about Gelish but am starting to lose hope :(

Last edited:
Skip the CND cuticle away. When I stopped using it, my problems stopped. I now use Cuccio cuticle softener.
Note: I even deactivated with soap and water and found I could never rinse it away completely. I use CND Shellac and even I won't use it!

I use Gelish and don't have this problem, I do dry cuticle prep, are you dry brushing the foundation layer after its cured? If you trained with Harmony id give your educator a bell and have a chat, Gelish is one of the leading gel polishes out there, I, sure they would like to know what Salon Services have said about their products too!!

For one: Gelish is one of Sally's top selling products so what that person told you was a barefaced lie in it not being one of the best to buy. Sally's/ salon services staff normally aren't trained in any of the brands/ products that they sell so I would take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Cuticle away is not designed to be used with Gelish. I've heard so many nail techs say they have lifting/peeling problems using cuticle away with gelish. So if give that a miss and see if that changes anything.

Are you trained in gelish? If not I'd advise a conversion. They will go through all of the prep, application & troubleshooting etc. x

From what you describe, there are a few things you should check. Try doing without the cuticle away. I find that unless you wash with soap and water, and really scrub, it is likely that you won't get it all. Check your lamp, timings, and hand placement. The fact that the polish still feels rubbery makes me wonder if you are getting a proper cure. For the chipping, check how you seal the edge. The stroke across the top should not be the last since that tends to leave a small bulbous line across the free edge that chips easily. Check in with your HNH Gelish educator see what s/he has to say.

Pay no attention that comment about not the best gels. Gelish is a great product with a great reputation and I'm sure with a bit of tweaking, you'll get it all sorted.

I love gelish. Some of my clients go 4 weeks without chipping!

I dry prep too but for the ones who get the odd chip I use a thin layer of protein bond by young nails on the free edge very sparingly that helps. (I know some dont condone mixing but hey ho!)

But now my gel of choice is Gel II and ive not had any issues xx

I have clients that go 4 to 5 weeks with no chipping in gelish!! I have a few pickers for clients that have had to stop because they cant get the gelish off without hurting themselves which is obviously a good thing!!

For one: Gelish is one of Sally's top selling products so what that person told you was a barefaced lie in it not being one of the best to buy. Sally's/ salon services staff normally aren't trained in any of the brands/ products that they sell so I would take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Cuticle away is not designed to be used with Gelish. I've heard so many nail techs say they have lifting/peeling problems using cuticle away with gelish. So if give that a miss and see if that changes anything.

Are you trained in gelish? If not I'd advise a conversion. They will go through all of the prep, application & troubleshooting etc. x

I actually work in a sallys and yes we are trained in the brands we sell.
On the other hand, yes Gelish is a top seller, I've been using it for a while now and never had any problems! I believe it is the cuticle away. Try skipping that and let us know!

I actually work in a sallys and yes we are trained in the brands we sell.
On the other hand, yes Gelish is a top seller, I've been using it for a while now and never had any problems! I believe it is the cuticle away. Try skipping that and let us know!

Not every employee is. I've heard Sally's staff giving untrained customers wrong nail & hair advice on more than one occasion.
I think all their staff should have to be beauty/hair trained to work there.

Not every employee is. I've heard Sally's staff giving untrained customers wrong nail & hair advice on more than one occasion.
I think all their staff should have to be beauty/hair trained to work there.

The staff in my local Sally's are not trained in beauty/hair. And even if they were, that's not to say that they can give advice over the amount of different products that they sell. I have heard some seriously bad advice given.

OP I agree that you should do the conversion course. It offers so much more than just correct training.

Well the company only employs qualified beauty therapists/ hairdressers...

You have to complete an intense amount of training before you get the job. Not everyone can know everything, clients do blame staff for giving them wrong advice, we actually just inform customers from what we have been trained and personal experience, just like every other therapist/ hairdresser...

You have to complete an intense amount of training before you get the job. Not everyone can know everything, clients do blame staff for giving them wrong advice, we actually just inform customers from what we have been trained and personal experience, just like every other therapist/ hairdresser...

It's not clients that have blamed staff that I am talking about. I have heard wrong advice being given. I know that some of the girls here are not qualified, they have told me so. And even if it is the case, they cannot possibly know enough about the different colour houses that are sold there to be able to always give the correct advice. It's not just like every other therapist/hairdresser because if they are in my salon, I hold responsibility for the advice/treatment I give/sell and need to be insured as such.
As an aside, I have just completed a beauty NVQ in the local college and the quality of the training was pants. Knowing what I do about their methods and practices, I wouldn't even visit for a treatment. So, not every qualification is equal. We all passed with distinction.

The best way to find out about the problems you are having is straight from the horses mouth. Nail Harmony have some of the best training in the UK and seeing as you have invested in the brand (I have no problems with it) it's well worth it.

I overheard a member of Sally's staff (in Romford Essex) telling a customer what to use to bleach all of her hair. She basically gave her advice on how to burn all her hair off of her head! I was horrified. She had no clue whatsoever! So the fact you say they are ALL trained is not true. It may be in your branch but not all of them.
Capital hair and beauty is also the same.

But we have gone way off topic. Sorry to the op

Getting back on track, I would also say the problem is with the cuticle away. I always dry prep and never had a problem, until I used cuticle away.. I now only use it in manicure service, not during a Gelish service. Even using the cleaner on the nail, didn't quite remove it enough.
Skip using this and you should be fine.

Thanks everyone. Will definitely try skipping the cuticle away and see if that solves it :cool:

Latest posts

Back