Worried about going mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xelliex

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is my very first thread. After reading so many and even posting a few comments and hearts I’ve finally plucked up the courage to start my very own. To cut a long story short I have a steady job with a regular/good income but decided to have a career change. Not because Im bored or want to work for myself (well its part of it) but mainly because nails and beauty have always been my passion. So I saved and am just finishing my mani/pedi course, whilst planning to go onto Gelish, Acrylics, Gel, lashes and HD brows. I then want to go mobile and build up a client base over time until I can build my own treatment room at mine.

Im so excited and am loving every moment of it. Im practicing as much as I can on family (no charge) along with my hand trainer, but have been researching salons and mobile nail technicians in my area which has got me worried..

There are soooo many mobile nail technicians, not just in my area but in the surrounding areas. I expect competition but they are practically giving away treatments. I’m angered that myself along with everyone else who have paid, trained and practiced everyday over and over to be the best you can be and all for a measly £15-18 for full sets of gel, acrylics, fybreglass or silk.. a couple even £10!!

This profession is not easy and deserves more and I don’t mean to be arrogant but my passion, time and effort deserves allot more. If I wanted to be taken for granted I could stay in an office..

Sorry for ranting (on my first thread) but Im just worried that I have spent all this time and money (now and going forward) on something that will never be because of offers like these. How will I ever get any clients? I cant use word of mouth through friends or facebook - I had to move to another area because of my partner and don’t have any close friends here. I have read Lynne Bakers thread on promoting your business (which is brilliant) but I’m still worried.:cry:

XX

I'm also just training so in the same boat as you. What I would say is that in the last 8 years of paying to have my nails done, I have always avoided the cheaper places because to me, they're just too good to be true. So I suppose my point is that I think there will always be a market for higher priced treatments. Those who are purely price led will go for the cheapest place but those who aren't will be looking for more and will be happy to pay for it. Good luck xx

Hi,

Your situation is quite similar to mine and where I live has a huge number of beauty consultants doing the same.

I view it that the client base I will want to attract will appreciate quality and I would rather have less clients but they are regular, than lots that just use an offer and move on.

When I train I want to concentrate on providing a standard of service I would expect if I was going for a treatment and I would not expect a professional to undersell themselves.

I too have read lots of threads on pricing and they say it's hard to increase prices in the future so price sensibly now so you make a living and provide a loyalty scheme for your regulars.

I wish you the best of luck with your new career, you will do just fine. :)

I know how your feeling very well. When I was setting my prices someone said to me why would you want to be a busy fool. If you set your prices at what you feel you are worth then you might not start off with as many clients but you will be working half the amount of hours that someone who charges cheap has to work to make the same amount of money ;D So, when I set up my business last year I set my prices at what I believe my high quality products and time are worth. Of course I had to take into account the market in my area. I would completely price myself out of the market if I charged prices that you can achieve in London compared to where I live for instance, but I placed myself at the top end of my local market.

Secondly, we really aren't wanting the cheap and cheerful clients. No offence to them, but it's client retention that makes your business money long term. Those looking for £10 will be off to the next person who starts offering £1 cheaper down the road. Doing a good job and charging a fair price and the clients wanting YOU is what will bring them back time and time again and this is how we build our business, not constantly trying to find new clients who are 1 offs because they bounce around the cheapest deals ;D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back