Worried about my work space

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treble

Reaction score
Hi there I have been seeing a few clients at my home over the last few months I am offering lash lifts and eyelash extensions.

I have set up a little corner in my bedroom to treat clients which I was quite happy about at the time as it very clean and cosy and private but now I am feeling uncomfortable with bringing strangers into my room.

We don't have a spare room so my only other option is to setup an area from the living/dining room.

What's everyone's opinion on this?
I will be working in the day time when my daughter is at school and other half is at work so there will be no one in the house but myself and the client.

If I advertise that I work from an area in my home and explain to them when they come for a patch test about the set up will this be ok?

I plan to turn a corner into a beauty area and use dividers to hide rest of the room.

I appreciate any advice as I'm feeling a bit down about it at the moment, thanks x

I understand you don't have another option in the house but I personally wouldn't have a treatment in someone's bedroom. Could you go mobile??

I'm in a similar position. I don't drive so can't go mobile. I have to do treatments in my room (although it's mainly family and friends ATM). Hopefully when we move out of hubby's parents we can get a 3 bed so I can turn a room into a therapy room. But this isn't going to happen for a year or 2. I'm thinking of just doing mani/pedi/waxing/tinting for non family til we move out, and not offering facials/massage until we move out.
We've got to start somewhere! X

Why don't you rent a room at a hairdressers or gym etc.
I don't want to upset you but I would personally feel very uncomfortable coming to your bedroom for treatment.
I too started from a home salon but it was a spare room, and was thinking of converting my garage before opening the salon.
I could probably cope with someone's living room or dining room or conservatory, but I think bedroom space is personal.

Sandra

Do you have room or a budget to set a small summer house up in your garden? If you are offering eye treatments then this maybe a better option?

Hi thanks for your replies, I definitely don't want to carry on doing treatments from my bedroom I think it was ok when I was just treating friends and family. But now no.

My only option is to work from my living room and set up one corner to use.

Unfortunately I'm not in a posistion to rent or build a space at the moment.

If you set up as a home therapist you will attract the sort of customer who is happy to go to a home salon. I have been to 2 home salons that were set up in the dining room. One did very well: there was space in the room as the main furniture was pushed away so it didn't feel squashed. She'd dimmed the lights, put candles, music, nice smells, drawn the curtains and was very attentive. The 2nd salon had even more space, lots of light from windows (without curtains). However she lost me as a customer when I went in for a massage and she'd opened all the windows in January to let out the food smells from lunchtime. Personally I think good towels, matching colours and good lighting all help in a home salon no matter what your setup.

Latest posts

Back