Worried about possible acetone damage on client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely this cannot be true???

It is absolutely true and it also works with enhanced nails and polished nails. Solar Oil reptates through all these products to keep the natural nail supple and hydrated.

I have been wearing Shellac for over 9 months now (with a couple of months off to try other products) and I have no white spots or dehydration issues .. I do use Solar Oil every day of my life religiously.

Eden Beauty I have no idea what has happened with your removal other than what you are using may not be pure acetone. Who can say? Is this incident the first removal you have done with Shellac? The amount you have on the nail and the amount of time Shellac has been on can affect removal times, but I haven't found that it makes a marked difference.

To the Origianl poster. it sounds like your client has knocked her nail and bent and broken it .. Shellac is not made of steel. Nails can be knocked and broken while wearing although rare.

One thing I do know about clients is that they lie or they can't remember, but none of them likes taking responsibility for what they do to their nails.

Last edited:
What I think people need to realise is that Shelac is a 'new category'. CND have taken a long time to develop it to make sure it delivers.

Every individual will have their own set of 'issues' and, like all professional services, a thorough understanding of the service, the product and THE NAILS is crucial.

Listen to the manufacturers/suppliers advice. This is the only way to be able to guarantee the results.

People starting to wear traditional polish 'full time' have noticed changes to their nails. People NOT wearing polish full time notice changes to their nails (mine used to throb when not wearing polish)

Understand what is going on and advise your clients accordingly.

Removing Shelac with acetone every 2-3 weeks is a lot less drying than removing polish every few days BUT individual reactions will be different.

Understanding is key!

It is absolutely true and it also works with enhanced nails and polished nails. Solar Oil reptates through all these products to keep the natural nail supple and hydrated.

Sorry, I still can't believe this :)

How would this not, therefore, affect adhesion?
How could Solar Oil reptate where water or any other liquid or oil (including acetone free polish remover) cannot?

The video you posted Rosy Cheeks only shows how Acetone goes through the "tunnels".

I fully understand the benefits or regular cuticle oil/Solar Oil use, but to say it can go through enhancements or any kind of polish or gel does not make any sense at all to me.

Last edited:
My nails throb when I have nothing on them:) so I can understand the prev post, as soon as I put something on them weather it be enhancments or shellac they are fine.

I can always tell when my clients have been using their oil,, and my rebalances are usually 99% time problem free and the product just blends like butter, however sometimes on some naughty clients the acrylic will seem a bit dry and I can tell straight away they have not been using their solar oil, they try and convince me but I just put it to them straight that a dentist can tell how good you are brushing your teeth, hairdresser will at how yu are looking at your hair,,, well im no diffrent I can tell when you have not been looking after your nails, and 9/10 by end of appointment they will have owned up to the fact they have been a bit lazy,, or done gardening with no gloves etc etc:lol::lol: .

Solar oil is the best thing ever, it is like wine+cheese, gin+tonic, one is just not the same with out the other. I buy little pinkies and give them to new clients (regulars are already solar oil fanatics lol,,one girl said her office all the girls have little solar oils on the side haha) I tell client to keep hold of bottle once finished and I will refill it from my large bottle for a few pounds.

xxx

Sorry, I still can't believe this :)

How would this not, therefore, affect adhesion?
How could Solar Oil reptate where water or any other liquid or oil (including acetone free polish remover) cannot?

The video you posted Rosy Cheeks only shows how Acetone goes through the "tunnels".

I fully understand the benefits or regular cuticle oil/Solar Oil use, but to say it can go through enhancements or any kind of polish or gel does not make any sense at all to me.

You cant argue with science,,,its proven. Everything in the world has to be proven before it can be believed and well this has ,, so believe:):)

Can i ask, how much oil do you use with the acetone and do you then use bowls to soak in that case instead of using wraps?

For me personally I prefer soaking to the wraps I put vasaline all over the skin being careful not to get it on the nail fill a metal bowl with acetone on top a of turned on heating pad and put a towel over their hands and they can not take their hands out for what ever the time is for the removal of the product.

I put about 4 cap fuls to about 12oz. of acetone shake it up to mix and pour. If I don't have it premixed i fill the bowl with acetone just so the nails get most of it if they curl their hands so it lays more on the bottom and a cap ful of olive oil. Works everytime no problems

You cant argue with science,,,its proven. Everything in the world has to be proven before it can be believed and well this has ,, so believe:):)

I know what you are sayng, but the "proof" I have been given only shows how acetone penetrates. I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand how this could be possible :hug: Unfortunately, I question everything!

That's what all good scientists do Hun question everything. It's all about surface permeability and also the type of oil which is being penetrated, if the oil is such as solar oil which contains jojoba rice bran which are particularly good carrying and penetrating oils .

How do you think they break down when placed in acetone??? Or how else does shellac get removed??? By molecules being broken down by pentetration,, solar oil works the same but in kinda opposite .

Xx

Sorry, again, how would this not affect adhesion?

Hi

The cracking on the nails happened to me when I wore shellac for the first time.

Basically it was because my nails are soooooo bendy that anything longer than a few milimeters of growth causes my nails to bend and causes a crack about a third of the way or even half way down my nail.

It was because the shellac actually allowed my nails to grow to a nice length lol. I was so proud of them but my thumb was especially bad. It was my nails not the shellac or the removal.

Just a thought. Hasnt put me off using the shellac and it happens if i use anything that allows my nails to grow but not give any protection including nail varnish and minx.

Sorry, again, how would this not affect adhesion?

To what???? The natural nail plate??? It's not saturating the nail. Or are you talking how l&p bonds to the natural nail? Xx

i keep a bottle of acetone and olive oil premixed to soak off with it works wonders to keep from drying the nail plate out.

Can you then reapply the enhancement straight away.Just wondering whether this may make the nail plate oily and the gel polish less likely to last.

To what???? The natural nail plate??? It's not saturating the nail. Or are you talking how l&p bonds to the natural nail? Xx

I mean if the oil is getting through the enhancement or polish/gel onto the natural nail plate to provide this nourishment/moisture you have all talked about, how does that not affect the adhesion.

We all spend long enough cleaning and prepping the natural nail to ensure there is no oils etc. on the nail plate before we apply anything because oils would affect adhesion.

Do you see what I mean that it doesn't make sense?

I see what you mean yes, but I can not explain fully, Lifting is not caused by oil its mainly caused by poor prep. We use a nail cleanser such as scrub fresh (as I do) prior to L&P but I do not use primer or any other dehydrator I only use scrub fresh to remove surface oils and contaminants whilst leaving it with pathogen fighting agents, you do not necesserily need to de-hydrate to bond a product,,,,years ago maybe along with etching the nail plate.

The best thing is a good technique, mix ratio, and products, understanding of how products work and WHY.

xxx

That's exactly what I am saying. Scrubfresh etc. are effectively dehydrators. I don't use a primer either, I don't etch the nail and I don't have lifting. Good prep as you say is about removing oils etc (and obviously dead skin) from the natural nail plate.

So, can anyone else explain how an oil can penetrate all the way to the natural nail plate through any enhancement or polish/gel product and not cause an adhesion problem? Also how an oil can get through where other liquids can't?

:confused:

That's exactly what I am saying. Scrubfresh etc. are effectively dehydrators. I don't use a primer either, I don't etch the nail and I don't have lifting. Good prep as you say is about removing oils etc (and obviously dead skin) from the natural nail plate.

So, can anyone else explain how an oil can penetrate all the way to the natural nail plate through any enhancement or polish/gel product and not cause an adhesion problem? Also how an oil can get through where other liquids can't?

:confused:

No their not scrub fresh is a cleanser,,All substances are permeable,,they have tiny voids (including, diamonds and carbide) which will absorb penetrating oils if the oils molecules have the right structure (solar oils has carrying oils) some oils molecules are to big to penetrate.

It really is kinda hard to explain as you would need to know how L&P works, I am assuming you dont as you dont know how the law of diffusion works,,,sorry im not being funny just dont want to blind you with science :lol::lol:

xx

I thought Scrubfresh had acetone and Isopropyl alcohol in it??? If so it is also effectively a dehydrator as I said. If you want to call it cleansing..... but it is really doing the same thing. I am not saying the product is not good, because it obviously is, but it is a dehydrator.

I never actually mentioned L&P myself, I use gel and fibreglass. Someone here said that Solar oil will penetrate enhancements. My question really has nothing to do with L&P specifically. It is about how a liquid can penetrate anything were other liquids can't, and why we would want an oil to get to our "cleansed" nail plate which would cause adhesion problems surely.

So, and I don't know this, are water molecules larger than Solar Oil molecules????

Oh, and go ahead, "blind me with science", I am asking because I want to understand.

Last edited:
SolarOil contains no moisture nor can it add moisture to the nail plater. It can prevent moisture build up in nails. Too much moisture in the nail isn't good since repeated drying out and resaturation of the nail plate can cause damage. SolarOil can absorb into the nail plate and prevent this from happening, while keeping the nailplate flexible. I talk about this in episode three of Doug Schoon's Brain.

Qutoed from Doug himself........

Yes, but that's not saying that Solar Oil penetrates enhancements or polish/gel, which is my question.

Also, you don't need to defend Solar Oil or Scrubfresh, I know both are good products.

For me personally I prefer soaking to the wraps I put vasaline all over the skin being careful not to get it on the nail fill a metal bowl with acetone on top a of turned on heating pad and put a towel over their hands and they can not take their hands out for what ever the time is for the removal of the product.

I put about 4 cap fuls to about 12oz. of acetone shake it up to mix and pour. If I don't have it premixed i fill the bowl with acetone just so the nails get most of it if they curl their hands so it lays more on the bottom and a cap ful of olive oil. Works everytime no problems

Thanks becca boo this is fab advise, i also prefer to soak rather than using wraps and i'll be testing your method next time!

Latest posts

Back