Worst job interview

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustStef2016

Reaction score
I just had the worst beauty job interview ever. Not sure whether to cry, feel relived or feel angry . I went for a job in a beauty salon and told them I qualified in 2016, I was a little wary as the owner kept saying she’s fussy and doesn’t take anyone on. I thought I would give it a go anyway. I arrived early to the interview, it started on the shop front at the nail salon desk which shocked me. We had an informal talk not unusual. She asked me to soak off her Gelish knowing I am trained in Shellac.

She corrected/criticised me on everything I did to the way I held the buffer, the way I applied the foils, the way I squeak the nails, file the nails and the way I buff the nails. Then said I took too long they were looking for someone more experience and I should go and practice more. I said to her I don’t think we are a good fit and I am not what you are looking for. I smiled and said enjoy the rest of your day and left .

Apart from ripping me apart the assistant manager swore, said she was going out for a fag and bitched about the clients. The owner also bitched about the clients, too. I was utterly shocked that owners were allowed to treat people like this. When I worked in a hairdressers as a teen I got trod on I assumed that was because I young and not trained. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone before? I plan on always improving my skills of course at the moment I feel shocked and a bit flat. Thank you.

I say you had a very lucky escape and let's face it I dont't think you need a horrid place to go to work to either.
The owner said "she doesn't take anyone on !" that's a joke for starters, why would "anyone " work there anyway?
I have not had that experience so can't say what it was like for you , but i do know you deserve to be treated resectfully and I am glad you said what you did .
What a nasty piece of work and clearly the bitchiness has rubbed off on all the staff. I know it's hard but try to put it behind you.
It's good to reflect on your interview , because you will know when the right interview takes place then it will be the one for you. A place when if you need a bit of hand holding you will receive support, encouragement, and some further training.
Bitchiness brings nothing but negativity and not many bosses are like that one luckily.
Hope you get some sleep
RosieR

Thanks for the reply it’s defo an experience . I am not saying I am the best at my job I haven’t got 10 years on my belt but a bit of respect wouldn’t of gone a miss . I wouldn’t of taken the job anyway and I think they knew they anyway . I am in complete shock that it is seen acceptable to be like that to candidates . Luckily I am 32 not an 18 year old fresh out of college . I will have to brush myself off and get on with it all I can do . Thanks x

It doesn't sound like its a nice place to work and no-one needs negative feedback in an interview. However, she's obviously experienced and successful enough to be recruiting so do bear some of her comments in mind. Remember that salon owners are not always good trainers and trainers are not always skilful therapists.

Think of the interview as a free masterclass. When I trade test I do give feedback and correction. I do it kindly so as not to "throw" a nervous applicant - but if they are using "new to them" products and tools they might need to be shown the best way to hold a tool, or how much pressure to apply. These things are not something I would expect someone to know instinctively. I might be privately thinking "Oh lord, this one will need a lot of support" but I try not to let this show. What I'm interested in finding out is how quickly the applicant adapts to what I have demonstrated. I assess trainability rather than skill.

There are lots of salons where you can just do your own thing and you won't learn anything. After 3-6 months they'll let you go and you won't really know why. In order to develop and improve you do need someone that will observe and correct your work. Next interview you will be ready for this and not let it rattle you so much. Be honest about your experience, say that you are keen to learn and improve and just smile and say "thank you" for each criticism and comment "oh that's so much easier". You'll feel so much better

Don't give up and good luck.

Thanks for the reply . I agree with all you are saying I was using different products and tools to what I use in the salon I am at the moment . I think because they were making me feel uncomfortable and felt they lacked people skills that I did want to walk out . I wasn’t dishonest with them and didn’t claim to be the best as I have only trained 3 years ago . I was planning on going on the perfect polish course with sweet squared to polish up on my skills . I think we weren’t a good fit the staff and me. I did have a feeling when I was on the phone that they would be difficult . It is an experience and I will take on board some of what they have said of course . I am probably not going on an interview for a while ideally I want to have level 3 and lashes so that is another box ticked to make me more employable . Thanks for looking at it from a different angle

I just had the worst beauty job interview ever. Not sure whether to cry, feel relived or feel angry . I went for a job in a beauty salon and told them I qualified in 2016, I was a little wary as the owner kept saying she’s fussy and doesn’t take anyone on. I thought I would give it a go anyway. I arrived early to the interview, it started on the shop front at the nail salon desk which shocked me. We had an informal talk not unusual. She asked me to soak off her Gelish knowing I am trained in Shellac.

She corrected/criticised me on everything I did to the way I held the buffer, the way I applied the foils, the way I squeak the nails, file the nails and the way I buff the nails. Then said I took too long they were looking for someone more experience and I should go and practice more. I said to her I don’t think we are a good fit and I am not what you are looking for. I smiled and said enjoy the rest of your day and left .

Apart from ripping me apart the assistant manager swore, said she was going out for a fag and bitched about the clients. The owner also bitched about the clients, too. I was utterly shocked that owners were allowed to treat people like this. When I worked in a hairdressers as a teen I got trod on I assumed that was because I young and not trained. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone before? I plan on always improving my skills of course at the moment I feel shocked and a bit flat. Thank you.

You know what? Interviews aren’t just for businesses to find the right employee. They are for you to find the right business. This place wasn’t a good place for you and there’s nothing wrong with that. Even if they offer it to you make sure you give them feedback on why it isn’t right for you if they ask. If not just say it’s not a good fit.

Lucky escape I'd say. If they are like that at interview, goodness knows what you would have had to put up with on a daily basis!

You know what? Interviews aren’t just for businesses to find the right employee. They are for you to find the right business. This place wasn’t a good place for you and there’s nothing wrong with that. Even if they offer it to you make sure you give them feedback on why it isn’t right for you if they ask. If not just say it’s not a good fit.
That is so true if you were to work somewhere it has to have a positive vibe and feel like a happy environment not frosty or bitchy

Lucky escape I'd say. If they are like that at interview, goodness knows what you would have had to put up with on a daily basis!
They will grill me. It has made me realise that I am rushing to another interview yet

Latest posts

Back