Worst treatments you have had as a client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I agree some people are trainable some are not...but why have I been meeting all of the UNtrainable ones :') hahaha

Ha ha...I feel your pain !

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just days ago I was thinking if there is enough clients left for so many technicians :D but now I know that half of them is just awful. I just can't believe my eyes what I'm reading :D

Gosh, I have had so many bad experiences in salons involving my hair and nails I'm now very very untrusting.....
The worst ones are:-
*Ginger highlights with bright bleach blonde fridge and a horrific cut that I was charged extra for a 're-style'!

*Various 'trims' through out my life that have involved cutting more than 2" off.... Yes I realise that my hair might need a bit more cut off but that's not what I asked for.

* really sweet nice girl at a local salon offered to dry cut some of my split ends out. She hacked so much that I had steps in my hair at the front. I really like her but just can't go back as it looked horrific.

*I have naturally nice long nails so don't have extensions normally but for my wedding 2 years ago I typically broke them all on the run up (before I discovered gel polishes) and decided the only remedy was a set of acrylics. I went to a very popular, recommended salon but sadly got a young girl new to the industry. I thought, well the boss is only sat two tables away, how bad can it be? How very wrong of me. She tooks hours and when finished I had horrific bulbous nails. I asked her to even them up and she filed and filed. They still looked crap in my perfectionist opinion but ok from a distance. I went on my honeymoon 4 days later and within 3 days all the acrylic had shattered like crazy paving and I had water under them (I didn't go in swimming pool much or bake in the sun as I get heat rash) not happy at all but of course I didn't say anything.

* Most recently I went to a local salon that does Shellac as part of my research for starting a business. They had one customer and three nail techs. No one got up to speak to me, just shouted over the sound of drill. They had a display of Shellac and I asked if I could look at the colours as I wanted a neutral colour for work. I got a nod so proceeded to look. The shelf they were on was covered in nail dust. Their eyes were looking me up and down as though I was going to steal something and when I asked if they had colour swatches she told me that I can see the colour perfectly well when they do the service:- not much use if its not neutral enough.
They made me so mad with the tone of voice and attitude I had to really bite my tongue. It had all the hall marks of a NSS and I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Out of interest, am I allowed to ask on salon geek for any local colourists to me or is it against the site rules?

I'm actually really really shocked at some peoples professionalism!! Eating sandwiches whilst doing a manicure?? That is terrible!! I'm always looking at ways to improve and make my clients experience with me better but reading some of these experiences just makes me thing oh my god!!! It just shows you you might have to face a lot of competition where your salon is based but you never actually knows what goes on behind closed doors!!!!
I've had a few horror experiences and I've had a nightmare day one day in my salon with a client..lol but too scared to say anything incase I get ripped to shreds and ppl thinking it was my fault... So I'll not say anything lol x

I've had quite a few.
Bikini wax just before my holiday, I was left with ugly bruising & she burnt me so bad that I couldn't wear a bikini at all for my 2 week holiday abroad or go in the pool.

Had my eyebrows threaded about 2 months ago and had spent ages growing them back since I messed them up plucking whilst on the ohine(never again! Lol) for the therapist to practically half them length ways so they looked stupid on my face when all I asked for was a tidy up. I walked out without paying or saying a word. I think she saw that I hated them and didn't even ask for payment.

Then the actual trainer on my first acrylics course filed straight through my finger nail with a 100 grit file! I have never known pain like it. And it has taken about 5 months to grow out. :(
Turned out she was from an agency to cover our original trainer and she was barely even qualified. Xx

My sides are aching reading these threads I havent laughed sooo much in ages! My favourites are Virtues experience (because I can visualise the scene reminds me of a Miranda comedy sketch) and the poor girl that had cats on her whilst having a massage.

Im sorry if I offend anyone that has been traumatised by their experience but i do think these threads could be compiled into a best selling book.
Or at the very least be handed out to training therapists as a guideline on WHAT NOT TO DO.

I have been in the industry some time now and will share a few of my experiences and some that my clients have had elsewhere.

My Favourite

Client went to nearby salon for UNIVERSAL CONTOUR WRAP

Bandages applied and client was left alone in room to exercise.
Two hours had gone by client still exercising (oh boy those inches were melting away)!!

Problem was everyone in salon had forgotten about her and had locked up and all gone home.

Client eventually shuffled out of treatment room to realise what had happened having to bang on window to passers by to get help. (And it wasnt even Halloween).!!!!
Eventually police were called and they located the key holder(owner).
Who had to return to the salon.

One would have thought that the owner would be mortified and offer the woman endless complimentary treatments.
OH NO....... she was furious she had been called away from her evening out.

Unbelievable just think what could have happened to this woman she could have had a heart attack.

Some 20yrs ago I went to a salon for a Bikini Wax.
Ushered into room by receptionist asked to pop onto couch and prepare myself.
There I was legs all akimbo and in wallked my therapist a 50 something male. Not gay, not good looking beauty professional but a slimey creepy balding individual.
You may all think having a treatment by a male today is quite normal practise! It certainly wasnt then! Looking back I still cant believe I allowed him to do it.

I have also had to endure Wotsit, Garlic, Cigarette, fingers.

One memorable facial was being treated by a girl who evidently had a bad virus/chest infection. Uncontrollable coughing throughout.

NO TISSUES and didnt try to cover her mouth.

She belted out one chesty cough and splattered my face with phlem and mucus. ARRRRRRHHHH wanted to be sick.

I have lots more to share..........!!!!!

I went to a very expensive spa for a day, as treatments were so dear I went for one treatment and use of the thermal suite, the poor girl doing my Indian head massage had a pretty bad head cold, she had to keep stopping to wipe her nose, in the quiet room you could hear everything, every sniffle, the tissue coming out, her wiping her nose, I didn't relax once, and I felt sorry for her as she would have been conscious of it too, money wasted aswell

My sides are aching reading these threads I havent laughed sooo much in ages! My favourites are Virtues experience (because I can visualise the scene reminds me of a Miranda comedy sketch) and the poor girl that had cats on her whilst having a massage.

Im sorry if I offend anyone that has been traumatised by their experience but i do think these threads could be compiled into a best selling book.
Or at the very least be handed out to training therapists as a guideline on WHAT NOT TO DO.

I have been in the industry some time now and will share a few of my experiences and some that my clients have had elsewhere.

My Favourite

Two hours had gone by client still exercising (oh boy those inches were melting away)!!

Problem was everyone in salon had forgotten about her and had locked up and all gone home.

Client eventually shuffled out of treatment room to realise what had happened having to bang on window to passers by to get help. (And it wasnt even Halloween).!!!!

One would have thought that the owner would be mortified and offer the woman endless complimentary treatments.

Unbelievable just think what could have happened to this woman she could have had a heart attack.

Some 20yrs ago I went to a salon for a Bikini Wax.
Ushered into room by receptionist asked to pop onto couch and prepare myself.
There I was legs all akimbo and in wallked my therapist a 50 something male. Not gay, not good looking beauty professional but a slimey creepy balding individual.
You may all think having a treatment by a male today is quite normal practise! It certainly wasnt then! Looking back I still cant believe I allowed him to do it.

I have also had to endure Wotsit, Garlic, Cigarette, fingers.

One memorable facial was being treated by a girl who evidently had a bad virus/chest infection. Uncontrollable coughing throughout.

NO TISSUES and didnt try to cover her mouth.

She belted out one chesty cough and splattered my face with phlem and mucus. ARRRRRRHHHH wanted to be sick.

I have lots more to share..........!!!!!

Oh my god!!!!!!!!! I could die!! No!!!!!!!

A hair cut that looked like a short beatles wig and made my face look like a cross between a monk and a chubby chipmunk.

£40 for a small amount of length taken off and some straightening that I don't recall asking for.

My regular hairdresser has left the area and was the only hairdresser who did a decent job with my short hair at a good price. My hair is in limbo now until I find someone/decide to grow it and have my partner trim it (notably I'm not a hair geek lol).

Sadly NicolaHayley all true.

Just sitting here writing this there has been soooo many things that keep popping into my head that have happened over the years!!!

I was working for a salon and I wanted a back massage so the beauty therapist I worked with gave me one and I specifically asked for firm pressure... I felt like telling her its enough i felt like someone was rubbing me with a feather.
Wasn't nice at all

I was at a training course once doing acrylics that my boss made me go on... The girl who was doing my nails had absolutely no experience in nails at all and it was just a hobby for her... Well when it came to cutting my cuticles she couldn't do it. So she lifted my hand mid air and had the cuticle nipper gripped on to my cuticle with my hand mid air... Absolutely no support of my finger or hand at all and was riving my hand back and forth to cut this bit of cuticle off... I was literally nearly doubled over trying not to cry... I didn't mind giving her some constructive critisism in telling her to never ever do that to a paying client. I was mortified.

And then another time... My boss again was a little bit obsessive and quite rude when it came to me doing treatments... Every single time I would do a set of nails or a pedicure or a tan ... Anything she would be straight in the treatment room thoroughly checking my work, she would come over in the middle of acrylics and start grabbing my clients free hand and filing and doing anything to the client. I can't even begin to say how many times I was made to feel tiny and embarrassed in front f clients, before anyone asks no I had never done anything wrong, never got complaints all my clients were always happy... It was just my boss!! I just used to put myself in the clients shoes and think how unprofessional is this and how rude. She would check everyone's eyebrows in the reception area telling them to face the big window in reception to make sure I had done them properly etc! It's fair to say I was getting sick of being made to feel like an absolute idiot!!! Anyway the last straw was when she went on holiday for 2 weeks and left me in charge on a ridiculous wage for doing absolutely everything... She came back and didn't bother to say thanks, not even a box of chocolates... No bonus.. Anything. And I feel I had dealt with everything perfectly well... There was no issues. At my appraisal I said I felt I was more experienced and deserved a pay rise... She told me she wasn't paying me a pay rise because I often forgot to dust the top shelf in the salon display cabinet..... :/ then was when I left!!
How those clients must have felt tho... And how rubbish they must have thought I was to have my work constantly checked... Still hurts me to this day :(

I was at a training course once doing acrylics that my boss made me go on... The girl who was doing my nails had absolutely no experience in nails at all and it was just a hobby for her... Well when it came to cutting my cuticles she couldn't do it. So she lifted my hand mid air and had the cuticle nipper gripped on to my cuticle with my hand mid air... Absolutely no support of my finger or hand at all and was riving my hand back and forth to cut this bit of cuticle off... I was literally nearly doubled over trying not to cry... I didn't mind giving her some constructive critisism in telling her to never ever do that to a paying client. I was mortified.

And then another time... My boss again was a little bit obsessive and quite rude when it came to me doing treatments... Every single time I would do a set of nails or a pedicure or a tan ... Anything she would be straight in the treatment room thoroughly checking my work, she would come over in the middle of acrylics and start grabbing my clients free hand and filing and doing anything to the client. I can't even begin to say how many times I was made to feel tiny and embarrassed in front f clients, before anyone asks no I had never done anything wrong, never got complaints all my clients were always happy... It was just my boss!! I just used to put myself in the clients shoes and think how unprofessional is this and how rude. She would check everyone's eyebrows in the reception area telling them to face the big window in reception to make sure I had done them properly etc! It's fair to say I was getting sick of being made to feel like an absolute idiot!!! Anyway the last straw was when she went on holiday for 2 weeks and left me in charge on a ridiculous wage for doing absolutely everything... She came back and didn't bother to say thanks, not even a box of chocolates... No bonus.. Anything. And I feel I had dealt with everything perfectly well... There was no issues. At my appraisal I said I felt I was more experienced and deserved a pay rise... She told me she wasn't paying me a pay rise because I often forgot to dust the top shelf in the salon display cabinet..... :/ then was when I left!!
How those clients must have felt tho... And how rubbish they must have thought I was to have my work constantly checked... Still hurts me to this day :(

Oh my god, she sounds like a she devil! Cant imagine how much that affected your confidence, but if I renember correctly from other threads you have your own salon & you are young (same age as me) which is a massive achievment! I'd say that other woman is raging now!

Havent had many beauty treatments myself so no bad stories really! Apart from when I went for a hollywood & was made face towards the door leading to the main reception & entrance, and by door, I mean flimsy curtain :/, I was more scared about that than the wax!

Oh my god, she sounds like a she devil! Cant imagine how much that affected your confidence, but if I renember correctly from other threads you have your own salon & you are young (same age as me) which is a massive achievment! I'd say that other woman is raging now!

Havent had many beauty treatments myself so no bad stories really! Apart from when I went for a hollywood & was made face towards the door leading to the main reception & entrance, and by door, I mean flimsy curtain :/, I was more scared about that than the wax!

Looking back now I do think oh my god why did I ever put up with that, but at least if I ever take any staff on I will know to never treat them like this... It was only when I went to work at a spa hotel and was constant with clients and kept making it on the list for getting employee of the month every month that I got all my confidence back! It has taken me a while though... And on the flip side f the coin... Her obsessiveness and perfection has sort of engraved into me now... I like to take my time with everything and make sure I'm completely happy before letting the client go. It's just at least now I've not got to worry about someone looking over my shoulder!

But god your experience doesn't sound good!! :/ bless u!!! It's unbelievable isn't it

Xx

To my horror I've just read; need models for bikini waxing will repay with a gel polish manicure :O also offering full body massage for £15!

My Favourite

Almost spat my wine out reading that! Hilarious! (Yes I'm drinking wine it's basically the weekend, sort of)

I remember once when I was about 15 I went to a local hairdressers to get my hair highlighted I went in with it straight (I have really curly hair) as she washed it she said oh your hair is curly?! I've not really worked with curly hair before! Brilliant, I felt really reassured.
The result was patchy ginger hair, and she snapped half my hair off after the worst blow dry I've ever had.
Cue me crying on the walk home and my mum ringing them to give them a good telling off.
Been terrified of hairdressers ever since haha.

My therapist was 15 mins late and wearing jeans and jumper for a facial the other day :/ not fair when I try do hard that when I go for my relax they don't!

This made me chuckle as I always remember one really bad salon treatment I had.

I had previously had sugaring treatments on my bikini area but it was a bit of a drive to my lady. So I called up and went to a local salon for a Brazilian wax!!!

I got burned is to say the least!!! I was bruised for almost two weeks and the skin went horrible!!! :( never went back to complain always stick with sugaring now lol.

(Looking for some guidance on beauty courses if anyone would take a moment to read my post)

Newbie geek xxx

Bwahahahah!! There are some corkers on here. My face must be an absolute picture the amount of times I've gasped, tutted, laughed!
Brilliant. And what an ego boost!
x

I had never had a bikini wax before so had asked a friend who had recently qualified to do it. She used a wax roller thing and it was painful but not unbearable. she told me she wouldnt do a hollywood like id asked as it was my first time. Thought ok (she still charged me the full amount) until i got home and had a proper look - there was just patches missing willy nilly! it was terrible so i booked in to get it all off, she then took 45 mins to do from the top of the bikini area down to the pubic bone when i told her to stop as it was so painful i couldnt let her continue. she then charged me the full amount again! i had paid for 2 full hollywoods and had got half that!

Latest posts

Back