Worst treatments you have had as a client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've got to be kidding?:eek: Blimey that's unbelievable and so unprofessional. On the other hand you could have come to my house and had a massage. My four cat's would be very happy chilling out on the massage couch with you. hehe

Ha ha, just like a hot stone massage, only with cats :) Reckon the OP was lucky her therapist didn't keep exotic pets like snakes, tarantulas,... !!

I had a surprise once during an intimate waxing treatment, I was in the recovery position and the therapist swung a mag lamp over :eek: Just glad she didn't do the same for my front parts – you know how sensitive we are about size!

These days I'm very fortunate to get my waxing done by modelling for one of the leading trainers in the industry – best treatments ever!

Reckon the OP was lucky her therapist didn't keep exotic pets like snakes, tarantulas,... !!

OH.....MY.......GODDDD /goosebumps

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Just remembered another one - when I was 18, long time ago, went to hairdressers and asked for layers in my shoulder length hair...was showed final cut in the mirror and to my horror I almost had a mullet...the layers at the back were so short that they stuck up. Was mortified. Got home and sprayed so much hair spray on to keep it down. Looked like I had a ducks backside on my head when I'd slept on it too!!!

I have had a few. Once when I was 17, I was blond and wanted to go to light brown with a wispy side sweeping fringe, like Helena Christenson had. Well I ended up with Black hair with a huge fringe looking like one of the munsters!!! (or as my boyfriend at the time, eloquently put it, I looked like I had an oil slick on my head lol!)

Another one was having layers cut in my hair somewhere different and I said I wanted a few layer to frame my face no shorter than my chin. They ended up as high as my eye!! I had to have my whole hair cut into a bob so it did not look so odd and then grow it out.

The last one was when I tried acrylics. I had not trained in nails by that point so was not sure what to expect. She stuck the tips not only to my nails, but my fingers. I had glue underneath and on the sides. They were also way too long despite asking her several times to go shorter. They were so bulky and really hurt. I thought this was just what acrylic felt like! Since training, I realised how bad she was!

After my therapist had decide what massage I needed (!) she did the back massage using the same light effleurage movement for most of the treatment. She didn't ask if Id like any more pressure etc to which Id of said Yes! Lots!

So im listening to the washing machine on spin cycle when her cat comes bursting into the room. I like cats but not whilst im having a treatment. She says 'oh do you like cats?' and even though i love them, i didn't want it sitting and looking at me from up under the face hole. So I said not really im more of a dog person. She didn't say anything and carried on.

5 mins later the cat jumps up onto the bed and snuggles down on the back of my legs on the back of my knees...she didn't remove him so after a few seconds I let her know, in case she hadn't seen the big ginger moggy, that the cat was on my legs and wriggled a bit to try to get it off. She giggled and said 'oh that's jack, he's very friendly'...and left him to it. So there he stayed for the rest of the treatment coz i didn't have the balls to tell her to get him off. Good job I secretly liked cats or wasn't allergic. Should have said I was allergic!!

Oh my, I just can't stop laughing at this. It's just so funny x

I think these stories answer the question on why some people in the industry are treated as though they are thick.

I think these stories answer the question on why some people in the industry are treated as though they are thick.

Yep - those unprofessionals who don't listen to what the client wants give us a bad rep :-(

Just thought I'd add this pic of my hubbys last hair cut, the other side was blended and looked fine but this side just looked awful! And he's so shy anyway and wouldn't go back to sort it out bless him

2a2u6aga.jpg

I have a few.

When I was 13, I went for my first ever eyebrow wax.
I was taken upstairs and told to lie down on the bed, no consultation.
She didn't explain any of the treatment then just proceeded and I felt like my eye had been torn off. (I had very thick curly eyebrows)
I had tears in my eyes and she just told me to, "stop being soft." Never again.

I went for a brow wax & party lashes a couple of years ago.
I asked for my brows to arch but stay quite full, she waxed them without stretching and I was left with pencil lines!
Then she started with the lashes and the glue really stung as she was putting far too much on and it ran into my eyes. Then she told me, "I must be allergic to it." and proceeded with a different glue then stuck my eyes together and I wanted quite a full look. I would have looked better with mascara and they came out a couple of hours later!

I also went for a spray tan and was offered light, medium or dark so i chose medium. She told me she used fake bake. She sprayed me and it developed lovely. I left it on around 12 hours and when I showered it off, it ALL came off. Was so weird! I was gonna go back but I had it done for hols the next day and didn't have time.

These are all different salons. It's shocking that so many people lack basic training.

Well, this thread has certainly made me feel a LOT better! I always worry that I'm not good enough but I have certainly never come close to any of the horror stories listed!! Touch wood it stays that way!

What concerns me though, is the number of people who haven't said anything and we're in the industry, we know what's right & wrong. I rely in part on my clients to tell me if they're not happy with something that I have done. I know that some of these stories must have been blatantly obvious to the therapist doing them but some may not have been aware and if clients don't say anything how can therapists improve? But I guess that's the point of the thread! :biggrin:

Before I got married (which was before I trained) I went to have a range of treatments done as I was told I should. The first time I had my eyelashes tinted the therapist applied the tint and then left me alone in the room! Because I find it hard to relax my lashes always flicker and I got tint in my eyes, so I'm lying there alone, eyes stinging, starting to get panicky and not knowing what to do. Realising that the walls were plasterboard I decided to knock on the wall, after a few minutes she came back in saying that she had heard me knocking whilst she was having a cup of tea in the room next door!! At the time I didn't really think there was much wrong with this but now that I've trained I know exactly what not to do!!

I was around 18 years old and wanted a brazillian wax. The lady took me to the room and was literally taken aback as to how much "growth" I had. I never had a wax before so I had no idea how short the hair was supposed to be as they never did a consultation or told me what to expect prior to the appointment. If she would have just told me to trim and come back another day, I would have but being young and not knowing, I didn't say anything and went along with the next step. They didn't have any trimmers that worked (the battery was dead) so she took a pair of scissors to me, lol. I was the last appointment of the day and she barely finished in time before closing. The wax was way too hot and I ended up with very painful bruises and bleeding.

Had my haircut in a new city (after I had found the best hair dresser back home but had to move). I asked for a blunt cut bob 1/2" trim. She cut it way too short and styling consisted of using her hand pushing my hair from the back to front with the hair dryer. They tried to charge me $45. I refused to pay anything more than $25.

Moved to another new city, asked for an inverted bob. I ended up with a mushroom cut.

Oh, and the nails...

My husband was deployed overseas and I wanted to be all fancy and pretty for when he got back. This was before I got in to the nail world and knew nothing about them. I went to a local salon which I was hoping wasn't an NSS. Someone told me to try gel nails. So, that's what I asked for. The lady pulls out powder and INSISTS it's gel. Me not knowing any better goes along with it. They do NO prep what so ever. I ask her if she is going to at least give me a manicure before? She wasn't even going to shape my nails. Again, me not knowing anything, she directs me to another guy to give me a water manicure (now, I know this is a no no before acrylics). After the manicure I get my crappy acrylics, where she e-filed my nails to where they hurt.

Oh, and they charged me for a full set plus manicure. I can't believe I paid, I was just upset and wanted to leave.

several bad experiences for me from iceburg acrylic nails (took me 3 hours to sort out after the appointment) to a back massage where I was 'tickled' rather than massaged...the most fustrating hour of my life! A facial by a therapist stinking of fags...disgusting, a dermalogica facial where the therapist used completly the wrong products throughout the facial (I'm dermalogica trained)..she just seemed to be slapping anything on!! therapists sat playing on phones behind you whilst your facial mask sets, not completing record cards..gosh the lis is endless.

and to top it all off...Have I ever complained....no!! Just makes me feel like a better therapist, plus I have never returned to any of the salons.

I am always suprised though by what clients will put up with...sometimes clients say to me..'oh my last therapist never did that' and it will be a basic procedure...very worrying!

plus just wanted to add that I always tell the therapists who are carrying out the treatments that I too am a therapist thinking that they will try harder and I may even get a better treatment and it has no effect what so ever!!

Worst ever was a facial from a hungover therapist - the stench of stale booze !! Ugh!!

KattyB im with you on that one ! About telling them your a therapist lol i think if any thing they make less of an effort !! :-O

Mine was also having a massage and throughout i was asking for more pressure it was 2 part effleurage 1 part pettrisage YAWN :-( i gave up asking more pressure .. And another time i went for facial there wasnt even a blanket and the light was kept on throughout :-( it saddens me how in alot of places there is just no customer care :-(

This reminds me of my ex-bf's mum. She went to a new salon for a facial. There was no consultation and they didn't have any way of dimming the lights so the therapist turned them off...so they were completely in the dark.

It was so dark that she could hear the therapist knocking things over in an effort to find her products!

I got a phone call that evening saying that her face was really sore and burning and could i come and help. I was only training at the time, but i was able to go over, pop a cold compress on it and gave her some aloe vera gel, which helped.

She didn't complain or return to the salon xx

I went to a salon and paid up front for a course of laser hair removal. I had had laser elsewhere on my underarms and bikini and it was fabulous. However at this place I was having my legs done.

I went with my mum so I usually went first and her 2nd. The first time I saw her I told her I was a therapist and she seemed very friendly. Asked me to get onto the bed, where the bed roll looked second hand! She wasn't professional looking (dirty tunic, leggings, and long bleached hair down) So had my treatment and was given these sun bed type goggles (which she did wipe over before giving them to me). She wore no eye protection and the treatment was over and done with very quickly and she didn't turn me over to do the backs of my legs!

When finished, she left me to get ready so I put the bed roll in the bin (little pedal bin with no liner and overflowing!) and rolled out some fresh bed roll (my mum was going next!) When she went in to take my mum throush she commented that she could tell I must have been a therapist!

The next 5 times we went just went from bad to worse! She rang up on two occasions on the day to say there was a problem with the machine and she would have to cancel. Each time we had an appointment, the standard went down and down. So much to the point that not only was there no couch cover (just a dirty blanket on the bed), there was also NO bed roll! (I searched high and low) I had to sit on that filty blanket. Made my cringe! The last appointment, I was handed goggles which had foundation all around them and so I just said to her, have you got a sanitiser because these are dirty. She was gone about 5 minutes as she said she couldn't find any!!!!!!!! Eventually they got cleaned as there was no way they were going on my eyes like that.

Yes, telling them you are a therapist does not make a blind bit of difference. However, someone tells me they're a therapist, and I bend over backwards coz it always makes me bit nervous! So far everyone has only had good comments about my treatments. But then I suppose if we are on salon geek, it's usually because we care about the quality of our treatments and want to do our best.

Thought the cat massage was awful. Made me laugh, but I honestly cannot believe that was real life. How?????? do people think that that is acceptable???

After my therapist had decide what massage I needed (!) she did the back massage using the same light effleurage movement for most of the treatment. She didn't ask if Id like any more pressure etc to which Id of said Yes! Lots!

So im listening to the washing machine on spin cycle when her cat comes bursting into the room. I like cats but not whilst im having a treatment. She says 'oh do you like cats?' and even though i love them, i didn't want it sitting and looking at me from up under the face hole. So I said not really im more of a dog person. She didn't say anything and carried on.

5 mins later the cat jumps up onto the bed and snuggles down on the back of my legs on the back of my knees...she didn't remove him so after a few seconds I let her know, in case she hadn't seen the big ginger moggy, that the cat was on my legs and wriggled a bit to try to get it off. She giggled and said 'oh that's jack, he's very friendly'...and left him to it. So there he stayed for the rest of the treatment coz i didn't have the balls to tell her to get him off. Good job I secretly liked cats or wasn't allergic. Should have said I was allergic!!

Sorry, I read this and haven't laughed so much in ages...cats are so funny and do their own thing!

Totally unprofessional of her for allowing the cat in the room though...I adore cats, but would've been very annoyed by this.

Latest posts

Back