Would you be put off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am starting to see that if I was to have a home salon I should make sure it's sound proofed well and keep my son on his best behaviour with his Dad, and out of the way of clients. If I make the area out of bounds in the beginning then hopefully it should work out, as I personally wouldn't want someones kids knocking on the treatment room door and carrying on as it looks really unprofessional. My son is no exception.

Thankyou! I think he's beautiful!
Hmm it seems mixed opinions. I'll probably just keep him out of the way until I know my clients better, then if they want to see him then it's up to them!

to be honest i have children myself i much so prefere going out and getting a lil me time to doing treatments at home (its nice) lol...it woulnd put me off having anils etc done and alot of my clients are lovely and appreciate the fact, obviously i cant do massage etc at home so i book them in when hubby gets home or weekends, my nails take twice as long at home with the lil ones runnin around not to mention extra ventilation as their wee lungs arnt as great as ours so its dam cold too lol... if you have a quiet area and baby moniters i dont see why not, if you have a good rapour with your client and are friendly i really wouldn be off put by children, x

On thinking about it my salon is down the bottom of my garden in my converted garage, I make sure if I have clients when my children are home from school (they are old enough to be in the house on their own) then they are not allowed to be noisy in the garden but I cannot control what noise my neighbours make, although they are generally quiet they do sometimes have children about and my clients have never complained about the noise - its a really difficult one, I have a salon I visit and the therapist has her salon in her garden and everytime I go her little boy is running around in the garden being looked after by his nanny, I can hear him playing in the garden and it doesnt bother me in the slightest but the nanny does make sure he isnt coming into the treatment room or knocking on the door, I think each client you have will have their own personal opinion on your child being about, give it a go and see! x

I should add really that I'm fortunate not to have many, if any other mobile techs who are as flexible as I am working around the town.

Therefore, if a client needs an evening appointment, there's not really anywhere for them to go after 6/7pm so they'd come to me - child or no child.

My Son comes before anything, if they don't like it they go elsewhere or without - simple as that, only if people book a couple of weeks in advance for multiple treatments or a late (after half 7 at their house) appointment will I then make child care arrangements.

I work from home, and was originally in a spare bedroom. I had a baby last summer so all my clients knew I was having a baby and that she would be in the house. None of them minded at all, in fact most of them insisted on a cuddle before we went upstairs to do the treatment! I always made sure by husband or older daughter was at home to take care of her.

Having said that - it was ME who found it distracting to hear her. If she cried I could feel my insides churning and found it really stressful.

I have now had our detached garage in the garden converted to a nail room and I work from there. It is much quieter, and there are no disturbances for me, so I can relax and so can my clients.

Thankyou! I think he's beautiful!
Hmm it seems mixed opinions. I'll probably just keep him out of the way until I know my clients better, then if they want to see him then it's up to them!
Hi, just giving you an example to consider. My hairdresser left a salon and started working from home and when it was the school holidays both her kids aged 6 and 9 were home (her hubby worked nights and would be in bed upstairs too!). I really didn't mind them being about except I would be slightly miffed when she would stop cutting/colouring my hair to have to make them a drink/sandwich!!!. The kids also didn't get on too well together and you could literally hear them fighting in the background at which point my hairdresser would slam down the hairdryer and go off and scream blue murder at them!!. The funny thing is, I (and all the other clients) put up with all this bedlam coz she was such a fantastic hairdresser!!. She could've cooked a roast dinner and I would've still sat in that chair waiting for her haha!!

To be honest i would be put off. Im not very fond of small children.

Has another poster who worked from home stated, her tummy churns and she panics when she hears her own child cry. I feel like this even when the childs not my own.
I do have two boys of my own, im just glad that they are now teenagers and less demanding! :)

Hmmm it is such a difficult one. It's difficult enough setting up a business without putting clients off. It seems to be 50/50 with the opinions but I want 100 percent of my clients to be happy so I'm going to have to work something out. Got a lot of considering to do. I think somehow baby+home salon have got to work in harmony. As long as my husband looks after my babe so I don't need to worry. Then I just need to worry about my Husband behaving himself! Lol. 

I think a mixture of home and mobile may work? You could work from home when child at nursery/planned outing with dad,family,friends/in bed (dad would be around if child woke up) then just do mobile the rest of the time, I feel fairly safe doing mobile appointments and you can leave the addres you are attending with ur hubby and let him know roughly what time your due home. Lugging stuff about is a bit of a pain but you soon get used to it.

I think having a child around is unprofessional and would defo put me off booking in with a therapist- To be honest I wouldnt even book in even if dad was around and child was in bed.

But good luck in whatever you decide xxx

I should add really that I'm fortunate not to have many, if any other mobile techs who are as flexible as I am working around the town.

Therefore, if a client needs an evening appointment, there's not really anywhere for them to go after 6/7pm so they'd come to me - child or no child.

My Son comes before anything, if they don't like it they go elsewhere or without - simple as that, only if people book a couple of weeks in advance for multiple treatments or a late (after half 7 at their house) appointment will I then make child care arrangements.

Same here

I can only tell you personally, I hate the sound of a squealing baby when I'm in a situation that's suppose to be relaxing for me. Nothing against you or your baby.

Yes, besides, most babies want a lot of attention.
You can't just ignore them. And it's a strain.
But there are some who have a quiet nature and keep to themselves - wouldn't mind this kind.

Hi :)

I have two children (1 and 2) and can't imagine either of them letting me have long enough to even book the client in never mind do a treatment!

To be fair they are terrors!! Lol x

It seems to be 50/50 with the opinions but I want 100 percent of my clients to be happy so I'm going to have to work something out.

I think as long as you're upfront with your clients then they will be happy. I'm sure that some people don't come to me because I have a clinic at home. However, the people who do come here say that once they're here you can't tell it's not a 'proper' clinic somewhere. Not everyone will want to come to you but equally not everyone wants to go to a high street salon/clinic. I'm sure you'll make a success of your business simply because you're aware that it could be a problem.

i can only give my opinion....it would really put me off as my baby daughter died. and if i was coming to get my nails done i would be doing it as a release for me to get away from the stresses of the day and i would find that very difficult. however i am sure there are many at home nail techs that are in the same position as you and i suppose its down to your individual customers. your regulars may not mind and may like to see your child, new customers or people like myself that dont want to be around babies may find it offputting x

not meaning anything by this but you could go to a salon and another customer may have bought there baby with them wouldnt that be the same....i personally think there is alot of salons out there that wouldnt turn a customer away just because they had there baby with them (or at least i certainly wouldnt).

i let people bring there babies/children with them to my salon cos i would prefer them to come to me than find another salon to go to. its not something i would say i like but i can defo cope with it.
is it a set up buisness you allready have or are you just setting up, i think if you allready have all your clients then im sure they wouldnt mind as they have grown to like you aswell as your work. as long as its not extreme crying i dont think people would mind.or at least i know my customers woudnt they have allready told me when i have a baby i will have to bring it to work lol as they cant go without having there nails done...bacuse i work alone without any staff i have formed a very close bond with all regulars and i feel they have turned into friends as well as customers that pop in for a chat etc if they can see im quite when chatting....no baby would put my clients off.

My salon/spa has a strict "no children" policy unless it is a special event for which they are receiving service: wedding, beauty pageant etc. It is not condusive to the whole relaxation experience not to mention that children are a handful when you are otherwise occupied. We also use chemicals that are hazardous to children. The worst story I heard was when a toddler spilled l&p into his eyes because he was running around a salong while his mother was getting her nails done.

Though I love children, I don't want them anywhere near me when I'm either performing or receiving a service. Again, with respect and nothing meant against you or your children.

I think it would depend on how it's handled, the age of the child etc etc, there are so many factors.

I can only speak from personal experience.

As a client, I may not want to be around other children OR hear other children when I'm trying to relax (even as a mom, I sometimes try to escape my own LMFAO) So when I go to get my own hair done; I'm sometimes aggravated if someone has brought their child to the salon and he/she is running about or creating havoc or noise.

BUT as Nail Stylist, I can say that I successfully built my business in my home WITH children in attendance.

In the beginning, I worked nights and weekends only, when hubby was available to care for my two children so that I could work "uninterupted" (you can guarantee there were still occasional interuptions...) but it was from 6pm on, and by 7pm they were in bed without fail. At that time, my youngest was still in diapers and my eldest a toddler.

Clients never complained or seemed to mind. "seemed" is the key word, I can't know for certain. But on a whole, it wasn't an issue and they understood. But that's not to say that there weren't any potentials that chose not to come BECAUSE of the children. I can't say as I don't really know.

It's been made clear to my children & hubby: when I'm working, I'm NOT here. They are NOT allowed to interupt me!!! or be in the room!!
YES it sometimes happens that they pass through as I am situated right off the front door so if anyone is going in or out, they pass through. OR if on their way to bed, they stop for a kiss good-night. But it ends there.
Most clients will invite the children over for a chat. Some bring them presents.

IT CAN BE DONE..... BUT you have to make sure that your hubby is right on board and takes care of the wee one by himself. It took some 'training' to get my hubby to get it straight. HAHAHAHAHA Now, if they even look like they're heading my direction, I hear him "where are YOU going???" and they stop dead in their tracks LOL

Honestly though, I can't wait for the day that A) I open a shop B) that I have a bigger house to build an extension onto to have my business completely separate from my family/home life.

Hi Hun,

Don't be too put off. I worked from home for 6 years, with 3 kids in tow! I worked all the hours I could. My clients who were child friendly came when my kids were around and those who were not child friendly came when my Hubby came home from work or weekends and he took over. I always told my clients if my kids were around and no-one ever complained.

My days were always well scheduled - packed lunches at the ready along with snacks drinks and TV!! and a few days off in school holidays!! I also think from a young age my children knew what was acceptable behaviour and what wasn't with ensured concequences!!! They never really bothered me unless they really had too. Sounds a but harsh but it wasn't. Even when my daughter was born, I still had clients coming to me.

Balance your work around your kids and family. When doing facials, massage etc - evenings and weekends. If clients like you and your work they will come to you. Its your clients choice and yours as a working mum.

I now work in a rented room at a hair salon - only because the mortgage company will not allow me to work at home now i've moved! I miss being at home, but when I leave work, I leave work at work. When I worked from home I worked all the hours god sent -could never say no!!

HTH. x;)

OP: It sounds like you might just be able to find a client base out there!

Am thinking about setting up at home as i am having another baby, so good to see everyones opinions.. mind you the amount of times i have had to put up with my clients kids, dogs and cats in my kit when i was mobile i give up lol and even really flirted with by one of my clients partner !!! which was uncomfortable to say the least.. but then thats their home.

I intend on working my business around my family, most of my clients are also friends too which helps, so i think i will mostly working in the evening , when people can get a babysitter.. lol .. xxx

Sarah x

Latest posts

Back