Would you charge cancellation charge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules30

Reaction score
I had lady booked for this morning texted her to confirm appointment yesterday evening, she rang this morning to check address then 5 minutes after the time she was meant to be here she texted to say something come up can she rearrange was thinking of charging a £5 cancellation charge as I have people waiting for appointments advice pleas

I was thinking of doing this as I've had it happen to me before a couple of times...
The problem is, how would you enforce the charge???
If you say to the client, 'That's fine but there will be a £5 surcharge for your next booking due to the late cancellation' They simply won't rebook and will go else where, or at least that's my thought...
I really don't think there is a way to combat this other than not being at a repeat 'offenders' beck and call and doing appointments on your terms and times xxx

Is this £5 in your T&C's, I wouldn't charge if the lady wasn't aware that there is a cancellation charge in the first place.

Just say to her next time she books that if she cancels with less than 24hrs notice that a charge will be added to her next treatment.

But then would that put her off coming to you in the future?:sad:

As the others have said you cant really charge this unless you had included it already within your T&Cs.

Its very annoying when clients cancel and I find trying to enforce a cancellation fee very difficult so I tend to ask clients that tend to cancel just to call on the day and check for availability. I have had a few offenders actually offer to pasy for missed apoointmentments as they know they are likely not to get an appointment on the day.

An alternative would be to get a 50% deposit in advance and then they are less likely to cancel last minute as they have already paid towards their treatment. You would have to make this clear in your T&C and at the time of booking. They can make the payment via PayPal if you don't have a card machine. HTH.

If it was myself in this situation I personally I wouldn't charge a cancellation fee with what you have described. It seems as though she had every intention of attending (responding to confirmation & texting to check address etc) and has already asked about booking another appointment.

Maybe something genuinely did come up that she needed to attend to (child's illness and a call from the school, relative ill or something). Unless she is fully aware of a cancellation fee in your T&C's I'd be tempted to let it pass, rearrange the appointment and make a small note in your diary to see if it happens again. If it does then you can address the situation in the future.

In the meantime, I'd pop the kettle on and use the time to create some new designs to inspire the other clients in your diary today :)

Thanks everyone for your comments so frustrating when it happens, have message her back with new appointments and let her know I will have to charge a cancellation charge in future. No reply yet!

They can make the payment via PayPal if you don't have a card machine.

Payments made by Paypal can be reversed by the Purchaser up to 60 days after the payment date. All they have to do is raise a complaint and the money will be taken straight back out of your Bank Account and 'held' by Paypal while they investigate.

For transactions such as a retail purchase where you can prove you despatched an item and have a Royal Mail tracking receipt the system works fine. For transactions related to services such as nail tech work it is far harder to provide irrefutable proof that the service you provided was up to standard.

If the Client says that they weren't aware of a cancellation charge, or that the manicure was sub-standard, the investigation will boil down to an exchange of he said/she said emails. In personal and anecdotal experience these ALWAYS go the way of the Purchaser - and a complete refund will be issued. Far more Clients are aware of this than are aware that they can request a Chargeback via their bank.

If you want to take a deposit then I'd suggest asking them to drop off cash, or to send it via a Bank Transfer is a better idea.

Sunshine xx

I would ignore her, obviously she show you no respect and has already cost you money .... ditch the bitch

Latest posts

Back