Would you charge extra for mobile?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLAOH

jog jog jogging
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been looking at my prices lately with the view to increase them but I'm unsure what to do. ;)

Although I work from home I do advertise that mobile appointments are available and you guessed it :p most of my clients prefer a mobile appointment. With this in mind I was wondering whether to charge alittle extra for a 'home appointment'. I find whilst offering the mobile option my price doesn't take into account the time for travelling there, setting up, packing away etc. I know I don't have the costs of a salon but then I'm not charging as much as the local salons and being mobile makes it very hard to retail products.

I find it much easier to work from home. Everthing is set up ready and I suppose because I am in my own surroundings I complete the set of nails much quicker which is more profitable more me.

All these decisions :sad: :p the more I think, the more I get in a tizz!!!
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

HI Louise,
I am a mobile tech and therapist and i don't charge any extra but i don't have a set up at home!! some of the salons here offer a mobile service for an extra charge of £5......
Just a thought!!!

I offer myself as mobile and charge the same whether they come to me or whether i go to them. I guess it depends which is your primarily service: if you are known to be at home and are doing a favour by going mobile then maybe you should charge a few pounds extra but be careful coz people are invariably tight and wont want to pay too much.

Not wanting to be the devil's advocate but when I was doing mobile ( and it's the same for hairdressers) clients expect to pay LESS than if they go to a salon. I know that this isn't right because you spend money on petrol and time setting up etc and time wasted cos kids are running around etc and your nails are just as good if not better than jo bloggs salon, but it seems that that's just the way it is.

That's the way it goes here in bristol.

nails@42ndstreet said:
Not wanting to be the devil's advocate but when I was doing mobile ( and it's the same for hairdressers) clients expect to pay LESS than if they go to a salon. I know that this isn't right because you spend money on petrol and time setting up etc and time wasted cos kids are running around etc and your nails are just as good if not better than jo bloggs salon, but it seems that that's just the way it is.

That's the way it goes here in bristol.
Yep Cathie that is definitely the way it is everywhere. It's just a matter of trying to educate people that you are providing a personal service and once you are in there and they see the quality of your work everything is cool ;)

I have to say that some people do expect to pay less when your mobile, but then as Carole said, you are providing a personal service in the comfort of their home so to me you pay as much as a salon. Don't sell yourself short, and be confident. If you're not confident your client won't be either.

Thankyou to you all for your thoughts.

I won't go down the route of charging the extra 'mobile fee', however I will put my prices up to help cover the cost of petrol.

I will have to get tough, stop talking to the clients so much :D and practice more and more on my old friend the nail trainer to get my speed down.

I will have to get tough, stop talking to the clients so much :D and practice more and more on my old friend the nail trainer to get my speed down.[/QUOTE]

That was suppose to read 'get my time down' :lol: If i get my speed down then I won't make any money. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi there

I would charge just a much as your local competition, certainly not cheaper. You will have your costs to think about, wear and tear on your car, insurance, fuel, your own insurance, cost of goods and time of course. It's probably worth thinking about your radius in miles that you wish to cover, anything over that then perhaps charge them a little extra for fuel.

You can always put your prices down slightly but it would be more difficult to put them up once your clients have seen your price list.

Good luck
Deb379

Hi

I am mainly home based but like you, also offer a mobile service. I have on my price list that mobile service is available at extra cost. I charge £5 as I feel this is an appropriate figure to cover petrol, time, etc. I haven't had anyone yet that has felt this to be an unreasonable amount to pay.

It also has its benefits - some clients then decide to come to me afterall!!!!!

Cheers
Madeline

Hi, i too primarily work from home and dont particularly like going mobile however on my flyer i have put 'mobile call outs available but may be subject to an additional charge', from then i really tend to go on the extra distance that i am having to travel, if its quite a distance from where im based then will put a little extra on, i found otherwise i was expected to travel miles and at the end of it wasnt profiting. My prices are quite low anyway even though i have just put them up (wends can vouch for my original price!!) im still beating local salons so tend to find clients dont mind pay a little extra. Just my two pennies worth x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back