Would you consider this hair breakage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstrabley

Reaction score
Hello all.

I would like some advice and some opinions outside of my experience. I am a hairdresser in California. A friend recently came to me to get some help because her hair is no longer holding or keeping a curl and she needs some help. She is pretty same savvy on how to style and care for her hair but it is no longer behaving. Her hair has had some color overlapping done in the past. She also recently got a haircut to clean up her ends. I am not understanding why her hair no longer is behaving. From my experience with her, the hair does not feel damaged but it is definitely behaving differently.

I took a picture from three different sections....
Picture 1 is from the side of her hair (above the ear)
Picture 2 is from her fringe
Picture 3 is from the nape area

Does this images look like breakage or something else? Do you have any recommendations on how to bring her curl back?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_side:above ear.jpg
    IMG_side:above ear.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_side:above ear.jpg
    IMG_side:above ear.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_nape.jpg
    IMG_nape.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 130
It’s always difficult to diagnose the cause of the problem just from a few pictures. Usually, you need to feel the hair to know how damaged it is. Unfortunately, ‘hair not behaving’ is something a client would say and is a bit too vague.

Have you tested the elasticity of it (wet stretch test)?

What methods for curling it have you tried and how did it respond?

It looks quite purple so to get that colour you generally need to start with a base 9/10, so has it been bleached and what strength developer did they use? Did they use Olaplex or a fake Plex/nothing to protect it when bleaching and colouring it?

If the outer cuticle layer is badly damaged, there’s nothing you can do to save it other than cutting it off.

Her hair elasticity seems to be strong and has not really changed. I have known her for quite a long time. She has been doing bright colors for years. Her hair usually has a wave so she will often air dry. She has medium texture so it usually air dries within a couple of hours. When she uses a curling iron (which is not all the time) she makes sure it's 100% dry before she curls it. She does use a heat protector spray before using a curling iron. Until recently, her hair no longer hold a curl (whether natural or with a curling iron). Nothing else has changed with her hair. It was cut last time (about 7 weeks ago) to get rid of some dry ends. For some reason, that has not helped.

For reference her hair is pretty fresh and she knows how to keep it vibrant. She waits quite a bit of time between colors so it will be faded before her next color. The bleach used is Schwarzkopf Professional BLONDME with 20 volume peroxide and Olaplex is added.

I'm really confused because it seems to have changed overnight.

Could she have had Covid? We know from anecdotal evidence that some people are experiencing unusual side effects a long time afterwards including clients who have become more sensitised to a range of substances, so that could be worth checking?

I’m no Dr but I have noticed clients hair sometimes change due to hormones/medication/pregnancy? Nothing the same as what you’re dealing with though, but might be due to something else, not necessarily what she’s putting on her hair?

Could she have had Covid? We know from anecdotal evidence that some people are experiencing unusual side effects a long time afterwards including clients who have become more sensitised to a range of substances, so that could be worth checking?

Good question. I have heard some similar stories. She is in my bubble and takes care of her elderly mother so she doesn't go out. That is a good thing to keep in mind so thank you for bringing that up.

I’m no Dr but I have noticed clients hair sometimes change due to hormones/medication/pregnancy? Nothing the same as what you’re dealing with though, but might be due to something else, not necessarily what she’s putting on her hair?

That's a good point. That could be a factor. The fact that it's all of her hair, including all of her length, that is puzzling me. Your idea could have some impact.

That's a good point. That could be a factor. The fact that it's all of her hair, including all of her length, that is puzzling me. Your idea could have some impact.
This would be my guess too. First check she's not using a different appliance, etc to curl. Next, I'd try curling it myself, so see how if ferls and holds. Then I'd check she hasn't started a new medication or changed one. Spell it out... mite be new vitamin type supplements, new diet, maybe gone vegan, etc. People often say 'no change' but don't realise it makes a difference even if it's just the dosage that's changed for a regular health issue. Maybe some temp meds, due to an operation/health prob? Once you've checked all that off, I'd go with hormones. Remember menopause can cause issue with hormonal changes see-sawing for 10-15 years! Her hair could be ok again for a few months, then revert back to this for a few months.

This would be my guess too. First check she's not using a different appliance, etc to curl. Next, I'd try curling it myself, so see how if ferls and holds. Then I'd check she hasn't started a new medication or changed one. Spell it out... mite be new vitamin type supplements, new diet, maybe gone vegan, etc. People often say 'no change' but don't realize it makes a difference even if it's just the dosage that's changed for a regular health issue. Maybe some temp meds, due to an operation/health prob? Once you've checked all that off, I'd go with hormones. Remember menopause can cause issue with hormonal changes see-sawing for 10-15 years! Her hair could be ok again for a few months, then revert back to this for a few months.

I might be asking a silly question but does hormones significantly affect the hair once it has already grown out of the scalp? I know it affects the growth and early part of the hair's life cycle but does it dramatically affect the, let's say 5-10 inch, length hair as well?

Latest posts

Back